“Wonderful front desk team” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Kanra Kyoto

Hotel Kanra Kyoto
Ranked #6 of 361 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Wonderful front desk team”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

Extremely friendly and helpful in every possible way. I arrived early to the hotel but my assigned room was still occupied. I decided to go to Nishiki market for lunch and asked to be called at my overseas mobile no once my room is ready. I am happily surprised that several attempts were made to reach my mobile an hour later.
The deluxe room is huge, can fit a family of 5 in my opinion. The attention to details in the decor of the room is amazing. I would have to rate Kanra as one of the best boutique hotel in Asia.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OreoBoy
ホテルカンラ京都, 予約担当 at Hotel Kanra Kyoto, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us.
Every single guest we welcome here is precious to us.
We would make effort diligently to serve the best we could.
We appreciate all your cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you, again.
A. Miura

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

Currently enjoying a wonderful stay here with my husband & teenage daughter. We have a Superior room that accommodates the 3rd guest on a futon mattress on the Tatami floor. Very comfortable, the beds are huge. Lovely breakfast and convenient to Kyoto Station and Gojo Subway... Beautiful rooms, would definitely return

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bloody
Thank you so much for staying with us.
Apart from the feature of the guest room, our concierge team would love to assist you organizing the itinerary in our city. Having this in mind, please let us be of your further help next time. We look forward to serving you again. Thank you!
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

I stayed at the Kanra (Superior room) at the beginning of November for 1 night and had an amazing, though short, stay there.

I arrived a little early so my room wasn’t available yet. The lady at the front desk proceeded to check me in so upon my return to the hotel I could go straight to my room.
The lady at the front desk was very nice and friendly and her English was also very good. Any question I asked was answered without hesitation and clearly (no vague answers). Actually all staff I encountered at the front desk, which were young btw, were super polite, friendly, helpful, and patient.

After check in I asked some info about a couple of local attractions. I was offered one of the electric bikes, which are rented out for free, to get me to Kiyomizu-dera. She made some additional recommendations as well on what to do in the immediate area of Kiyomizu-dera.

Upon returning to the hotel, my room was ready and I was escorted to my room.
The room was amazing, modern Japanese in style (like the rest of the hotel) and felt like home. Stone floors in the main/bedroom and bathroom, tatami floor in the sitting area, large shower area (with a mini rock garden and fake skylight), aromatic Japanese cypress wooden bath tub, Toto washlet, and rice paper doors here and there.

I did not eat at the restaurant in the hotel, but it seemed busy in the morning and afternoon when I was there.

Checkout was quick and I was escorted outside and sent off with an ojigi (bow).
Next time I visit Kyoto I will definitely stay at the Kanra again!

BTW, finding the hotel was easy. After exiting Gojo station, walk south until you see a 711 convenience store (a plus) on your right. The hotel should be in the small street to the left of the 711.
The 711 convenience store around the corner of the hotel is a plus in case you want to buy something.

Room Tip: There are electric bicycles that the Kanra rents out for free...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank GXS
ホテルカンラ京都, 予約担当 at Hotel Kanra Kyoto, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us.
All the staffs here at Hotel Kanra Kyoto are more than happy to help making you feel as if you are at your “Japanese home”, as much as possible! Please let us share your ideas, and we would love to see what we could do about it.
We would very much look forward to serving you, again. Thank you!
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

Stayed early October for two nights. Hotel is conveniently located, walking distance from Kyoto Station, or two bus stops away. Room is spacious and decor is a mix of Japanese and Western style. Staff is very helpful though their knowledge of restaurants is not as good as another boutique hotel I stayed in Kyoto. Drawback of the design of the room is that the lighting around the washing basin area is too dim (separated from the bathroom). Had to move everything closer to the window in order to have enough lighting to have my makeup on!!! :) Counter space is also not enough around the washing basin ( a rectangular shape basin which is relatively huge compare to other hotels). For ladies with makeup and miscellaneous items will find no space to put their stuff.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank KalamataC
Thank you so much for staying with us.
With the feedbacks and requests heard frequently from our guests, at the present, we have provided a lighted makeup mirror in all rooms. We would like you to try it, and share your thoughts with us the next time. We look forward to welcoming and serving you again. Thank you!
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2011

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights in the twin. I must say.. what an amazing hotel. An indulgence to say the least. Walking around all day, I found myself referring to the hotel as "home". Super comfortable, super design sheek but wonderfully japanese as well. Tatami flooring in living room, wooden bathtub, timber screen entry foyer, even the cups look great! And its only a year old.

We had breakfast and dinner here too. you must try.. don't miss it. The food is sensational. We had wasabi risotto, grilled veggies and creme brûlée. Delicious.. Totemo oiishi.

And of course, our concierge, Tabata, was simply adorable and wonderful. I cant thank them enough for making kyoto the most enjoyable culinary and tourist trip. We're planning to re-visit this hotel every 1-2 years. What more can I say?

PS. yes its not as convenient as some other hotels. But its 8 minutes walks from Kyoto station, and literally 1 min walk to subway entry Gojo. You can actually walk north to Shijo (the centre of town) in 10 minutes too. They have free wifi, iPhone speaker dock, electric bikes, umbrellas, and big smiles. :) For me, its an experience to live there, so the oh-so-slight inconvenience is not even part of the equation.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kez2222
Thank you so much for staying with us.
We are only grateful to hear that you favoured our hotel. With the years went by, we would like to believe that we have sophisticated the service we could offer for your greater satisfaction, today.
We look forward to welcoming and serving you again, anytime. Thank you!
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

Wow! Hotel Kanra Kyoto was a pleasure be in and I'm only sorry we couldn't get a 2nd night there. They were booked up and we had to move to another place - also highly rated - but nowhere nearly as satisfying. Kanra is a little off the main road (taxi has to stop at corner) and it is a fusion of modern and Japanese motifs. But the rooms are nothing less than stunning! A very large space too for the cost. Our room had two beds, but they were shoved together to appear as if it was one tremendously long bed. The floors are stone and then transition to oak with bamboo pads. The decor is nothing short of stellar and the bathroom is a real treat too - with a wooden tub and high-tech shower, plenty of space as well. Dual sinks adorn the room just outside the thick glass bathroom entry and a separate WC, complete with top-of-the-line Toto washlet is to the side. The bed was comfy and the linens excellent. Nice robes, TV and free wireless internet in the rooms made this place feel like home. But a nice hotel is not just a bunch of rooms. The service of the staff was top notch and they helped us with dinner reservations, maps, taxi, just about anything and all with a smile. I can't recommend this place enough.

Room Tip: Not facing street can help mitigate any noise issues.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for staying with us.
We are overwhelmed to receive such kind comments from you.
We would love to welcome and serve you, again, after a while now. Please stay for several nights next time, there should be more to offer in the town. Thank you!
Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights in mid July.
The design is great and it's quite a new hotel so less wear and tear than other older hotels.
It's right next to a Seven Eleven store for all your needs and the train station is a 10 minute walk away.
The free electric bike rental was amazing and really fun!
The staff are so sweet they really want to help you in any way they can.
Breakfast was great but not a buffet, so you can't pick and choose. But a very fresh selection that was superb!
As always in Japan, the price was not cheap, so it's always worth looking out for a good deal.
I suppose it's not in Gion but for us and considering you can rent bikes I find being closer to the station better. We were able to travel to Osaka and Hiroshima much more easily for day trips than if we were staying in Gion.

One note is that it's really hard to find somewhere to park the bikes so always ask before parking them!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
ホテルカンラ京都, at Hotel Kanra Kyoto, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you so much for choosing our hotel to stay with.
We shall have the bikes ready for you when visited for the next time! We would love to welcome you, again. Thank you very much!