“Love the Futon!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 256 Specialty lodging in Kyoto
Singapore, Singapore
“Love the Futon!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

We booked Hana Kyoto Hostel in order to experience the Japanese way of sleeping using Futon.

The location was good.It was about 10 min walk from Kyoto airport bus station and there was a Lawson store at the traffic light and many restaurants nearby. Once you crossed the traffic light, turn right and right at the lane and you would spot Hana Kyoto Hostel.

The reception ladies can speak very good English and they will guide you as to where are the sightseeing places and maps.There were a shoes change area before we moved around the hostel. There was no lift to level 3, so we had to carry our big luggage up.

We stayed at their two different Japanese rooms ensuite (with private bathroom) at two different nights. Both rooms were small and compact. However, it did not much space for very big or many luggage. Pls remember to bring your own towels, toothbrush, toothpaste, shavor and comb. However, they do provide hair dyer, shower gel and conditional shampoo, and you can rent towel at a cost. The wifi signal was strong and good. The heater was good at room 303 but when we changed to room 201, the heater there didn’t seen to work very well. Anyway, we end up sleeping without heater as the Futon was thick enough to keep us warm the whole night. I love the Futon. Do remember to bring out the white linen sheet which use to lay the futon out for washing when check out.

They had a kitchen area for cooking, boiling hot water and using of their computers too. From there, we happened to get to know some travelers from Taiwan and Indonesia. It was a great place to share information and chit-chating.

It was a enjoyable experience for my husband and I. If we get a chance to go back Kyoto, we will choose to stay here again and if we do stay longer, we can maybe cook a meal there ourselves. One more plus point is that this hostel is very clean.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hapiecutiepig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

The best part about Kyoto Hana Hostel for me was its convenient location. It's proximity to the Kyoto JR station made it a great base for day trips out of the city. But the overall experience at this hostel was not as pleasant as I had hoped.

This hostel does not have a lift so heavy packers please take note, this might not be the place for you! In my three nights there, we stayed at two different types of rooms because the private room was only available for two nights and we had to change to the Japanese family room on our last night. I did not like my stay at the Japanese room as the weak heater and the full length windows made the room incredibly cold.

So do avoid the Japanese room especially during winter!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank comet2505
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Kyoto Hana Hostel was a fantastic stay for us. We stayed for 5 nights and we appreciated the clean and tidy traditional style Japanese rooms. We slept really well!

The staff were very helpful and answered all our questions, there's laundry and internet/printing services, and you can hire a bike for the whole day for 500¥! The bike is really best way to see Kyoto so I definitely recommend hiring one.

We loved our stay here and will definitely stay again when we return to Kyoto.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Sarah J
Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed for 5 days during my recent visit to Kyoto.

The location is about 5 minutes walk from Kyoto Station. Easy to find if you have a map.

The entire hotel is very clean and tidy. I stayed in a twin-ensuite room. Although it was small, but enough for 2 adults and 2 children of us. There is a kitchen, equipped with necessary tools if one would like to cook for themselves. we didn't, but making our own coffee for free.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. I particularly can remember Wakana for advising where to have our dinner. I took her advice and enjoyed my meal at 6th floor of Yodobashi which is very near to the hostel.

Before arriving, i saw many complained about taking luggage at the staircase, i personally found it is not a problem, the staircase is wide, and easy to walk with luggage.

The only suggestion from me to the management is to have a similar type of water closet at the toilet for private room with the common toilets.

Room Tip: Facing road, have better view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TanCK
Kinarut, Sabah, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

only 5- 7 minutes from Kyoto Station, the location is good, easy to find. We love everything about this hostel...its clean, safe and warm. This is the first time we stay in a hostel and we love it....thank you to Yoshiko and her friends...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Asmah T
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Only few minutes from Kyoto station, this hostel gave a very strong impression to me right when I stepped into its doors. I was required to take off my shoes, wear Japanese slippers (which was soft, light and so comfortable). Even the kitchen was small but well equipped with all essential kitchenette tools. The staffs were ones of the best I had ever seen. I also loved the wooden dorm beds with curtain which gave me some private space whenever I would like to. I would be back there in my next trip to Japan.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Kiet Q
kajang
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

I'm very happy with the twin ensuite room that we got.
Because the futon could be folded when we are not sleeping, we felt the room is spacious enough for us to use. Moreover, the bathroom and toilet is separated! what could you expect more with this budget. Wifi is available in the room which we really appreciate that. The washing machine and dryers could support much bigger load compare to a hotel we stayed at Tokyo.

Close to Yodobashi Kyoto (shopping mall) where you could spend your night shopping when most of the attraction in Kyoto is closed. Many good restaurant nearby as well.
Receptionists are very friendly and helpful.

The only bad thing is no lift and we need to rent the towel, however not going to cause me to give a bad rating for this hostel.

Room Tip: happy with the twin room ensuite
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple