“Fantastic atmosphere, lowest hospitality”
Review of Guest house Rakuza

Guest house Rakuza
Ranked #79 of 395 Specialty lodging in Kyoto
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I stayed here for one night.
They said that the check-in was evening after 16:00 when I made a reservation on the telephone, so I asked to put my baggage in the day and they said OK.
On that day, when I go to put my baggage, the owner was absent, and there was one boy of the caretaker. I said hello, he seemed to be troublesome and said, "Put the baggage around". Without greetings or smile. What a rude boy!

When I visited here again for check-in at 17:00 in the evening, also the owner was absent. I called someone many times, but nobody came out. After I was kept waiting more than ten minutes, the young girl appeared.
I said "Check-in, please." , but she said "I can't."
"Why? You told me to come in the evening!" I asked.
"Because now there is not an owner, I cannot file for the check-in. Would you go out until she comes back? "
Well, well, well, I see... It's raining terribly outside, isn't it?
After having repeated a question and answer for a while, she went for someone. And then...oh, here came the rude boy!
He came and said, "I'm filing for the check-in, pay your fee."
Of course without greetings or smile.
He gave a businesslike explanation by fast talking and guided me to the room.
I received linen, and he said only "Please do it yourself."
Thank you boy, I love to make my bed with a wet body by the rain!

Next morning, I went to the entrance hall for check-out and met an owner for the first time there.
"Thank you very much." I said.
"Well, thanks." She answered while staring at the monitor of her PC.
Of course without apology, greetings or smile.

The house is great. The room is fantastic.
It is 100 years ago Japanese style with modern tastes.
In addition, convenience of access is very good.
All is a splendid hotel, except the hospitality of the employee.

I never stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
8  Thank J_Oct30

Reviewed May 7, 2014

I love my stay in this a century old traditional Japanese house which used to be a Maiko teahouse. It gives me the real taste of Kyoto with the wooden interior and furniture.

The location is unbeatable as it's in the center of Gion area, near to Kawaramachi (Hankyu line) & Gion Shijo (Keihan line) stations and there are a few famous attractions and shopping areas.

We booked the double room and it located on first floor. The room is spacious and it fits 3 persons with big luggage well. The room comes with futon beds, you need to make your own bed (another unique experience), equipped with aircon and heater. The house only has a bathroom and 2 toilets. Free hairdryer is available.

Staff is friendly, polite & helpful. She helped us a lot during our stay.

I would recommend to stay here if you want to get the real taste of Kyoto!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We have a good stay at Rakuza Guest house (a Japanese 100 year old houses in the center of Gion area). You can experience a real traditional ryokan in Kyoto. The flooring is all wood and it is covered with tatami mat. We booked a double room (consist of 2 rooms). There’s a lock for your room ie tiny little padlock. Location is superb as it is near Kawaramachi shopping area. Food and transportation is very convenience too. No worry on cleanliness as it is well maintained.

Free facilities:
- Tea facilities
- Hair dryer
- Power extension cord/ adapter
- Microwave
- Internet access
- Kyoto sightseeing maps

Some info that we would like to share on Rakuza:
- Futon bed – you will get an experience on laying your own futon bed. If you need help, Rakuza’s staff is always welcomed.
- Front office – staff will be available from 8am – 9pm.
- Towel – no towel provided. You can rent it at just 100Y.
- 1st floor toilet will be locked after 9pm.
- No hot water at washing basin area – water flow is cold especially during Autumn / Winter.

Rakuza’s staff is very friendly and helpful. We really appreciate and thanks for their help throughout our stay. It was a wonderful stay in Rakuza!

Room Tip: Try to book a few months earlier as only little rooms available.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank YvnLee
Reviewed October 5, 2013

the guesthouse sits in a quite yet center of gion-shijo area, 3 mins walk to shopping/eating busy kawaramachi street. The room is clean and has no smell. though only 2 toilets and 1 bathroom, but clean and well arranged. Walking from the place to kiyomizu dera temple takes only 20 mins. And staff was helpful too.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank biosomkid
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We spent 4 nights here. The rate was reasonable and the location was so strategic. The main Kawaramachi station was just minutes away and we used the public transport most of the time to go to Nara, Arashiyama, etc. We also had a good walk to Kiyamizudera, etc. from this ryokan. It's located next to the Kamo river at Gion where you can find a lot of convenient stores, shopping malls, eateries (especially Pontocho). All the staff were very helpful from booking to staying there. They also kept a pocket wifi that we booked online with Econnect and passed it to us when we checked-in. During the last day, I forgotten to take our iPhone adaptor, so the staff actually emailed us and arranged to sent it to our accommodation in Tokyo right away. We got it back the next day.

Because this is a traditional ryokan, it's best to be considerate to the others especially when it comes to bathroom/toilet sharing and not making too much noises after midnight. We didn't have problem with that because we would usually come back at around 4-5pm to take early shower before going out for dinner. We would also usually sleep early and wake up early to use the bathroom to avoid congestion :)

It was a great stay and we recommend this ryokan to anyone who's looking for a traditional stay in Kyoto.

Room Tip: Book your room at least 3 months earlier.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HC F
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Kyoto was our first stop on our whirlwind tour of Japan. We stayed here for four nights, in the Western Double Room (we chose this room for it's low cost, though I'd rather have stayed in the more traditional rooms). The personnel were friendly, helpful and always available when needed. The common rooms were beautiful. The location was perfect for us, in the heart of it all, easy to find, but quiet. We got there late the first night, but had no trouble checking in, and were given some suggestions as to where to eat. The shower was the best I experienced in all of Japan. Next time I'm back in Kyoto, which hopefully will not be too long, I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We chose the Western Double Room, but if I wasn't on such a budget, I would've chosen a trad...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was just in Kyoto and Osaka. I stayed in this guest house, a budget ryokan and a business hotel. I also went to a minshuku. Of all of these lodgings, this place really felt the most Japanese. True, the floors creak, there is one shower, etc. but I appreciated the experience despite these small inconveniences. People were considerate and friendly. The women at the front desk spoke great English and were very helpful as well.

I would probably not normally rate this place five stars since five stars is used reserved for the absolute best, but for authenticity, location and price, I gave it five stars. (P.S. It's not officially a ryokan, as others have called it.)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo