“Great atmosphere, spotless and helpfull staff!”

Kyoto Guesthouse Roujiya
Ranked #133 of 395 Specialty lodging in Kyoto
Reviewed November 24, 2011

I'm lucky enough to have visited Japan (and Kyoto) a couple times. Kyoto is by far my favorite city in Japan. Many things to see and not only temples and shrines. There are a lot of places where you can see and feel old-Kyoto. This guesthouse is just in the middle of all that! Close to Nijo castle, (a bit) hidden in beautiful old Kyoto.

The guesthouse is brand new, although the owners have done a great job on keeping the atmosphere (I've stayed at places where atmosphere was not included in the price). I stayed at the dormitory where the beds had a normal size and which was absolute no problem for my height (I'm 6ft tall). Also this place offers good rental bikes, free internet, is clean and the staff is really helpful and very friendly! They gave me great advice on how to spend my days in Kyoto.

Thanks for having me! Already looking forward to my next stay in Kyoto...

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank jsteenderen

Reviewed November 15, 2011

I’ve been to Japan a couple of times so I know what’s out there. I don't see why this place is rated number 1. Theirs bigger and better to be found for the same price. It is a nice place but it is very, very small. The place is the size of a cracker box. The walls are paper thin. When you’re in your room you can hear everything that is going on. This includes the noise from downstairs. The stairs going up to the second floor are steep and narrow. Good luck bringing a large bag upstairs. It is located in a so-so neighborhood with not much around. All the rooms are upstairs as well as 1 bathroom (Just a toilet---Good luck getting to use it in the morning). Theirs another bathroom downstairs. It has 2 showers. One of the showers is very small so if you're over 5 feet, forget it. If you’re claustrophobic then stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
9  Thank Phisher
roujiya, オーナー at Kyoto Guesthouse Roujiya, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2011

This guest tried to not pay the money. After we told him that we called the police, he agreed to pay. However, he said that he didn’t have any cash with him, so we showed the location of the ATM and accepted to wait for his late payment. Nevertheless, he didn’t go out to get money and started to sleep. The next day they were leaving here in the very early morning without paying. To be honest we couldn’t sleep all through the night, because he seemed to cheat us. Fortunately we fond them and he paid reluctantly. To our surprise, he had enough cash with him!

At the thought of this situation, his review sounds like a mean act of revenge.

Our accommodation is not a hotel but a guesthouse which is normal Japanese house made from wood. Even so, our wall is doubled, so it’s thicker than other regular house. In addition, we have a curfew and light-off to make the guests sleep very well. If you sleep from “5P.M. ” like him, you may hear the noise because everybody is sill waking.

We have two showers so you can choose the larger one if you like.
Besides there are three toilets, so we seldom see the people waiting so long.

For your information the size of private room is 11.5m2 and the height of a ceiling is 2.8m.
The size of futon is 100cm x 200cm.
The width of stairsteps is 80cm.

We’re wondering if it’s small or not…

Reviewed September 20, 2011

If you are looking for a local, charming and welcoming guest house, the Kyoto Roujiya is lovely. I'm a designer, and the Kyoto Roujiya impressed me with its modern, simple space where every detail has been thought through.

We stayed in the private room for two people. It has a large window that opens on one side, a sliding door (with privacy shield) on another wall. The door opens onto a small balcony that looks out over other rooftops and balconies. The balcony isn't really for people-watching or sitting, but it's nice to expand the room space and get fresh air.

I've never slept on a tatami floor before, but the futons were surprisingly comfortable. When you arrive the futons are folded with crisp white linens (starched & ironed!) sitting on top. Once you're ready to sleep, simply unfold the futon, put your sheets on, and doze off. Two futons side-by-side are actually larger than our Queen size bed at home.

The room has enough space for both our luggage (backpacks), a small night stand with a lamp, and a place to lay out my books and camera. The walls are white with a very high ceiling, and at the top are dark wooden beams that criss cross the ceiling.

The bathroom is shared, but they feel more like a boutique hotel or spa (beautiful silk wallpaper, small vases with flowers, hair dryers) than a hostel or communal bath.

The common area is equally pleasant, with a modern, clean white kitchen overlooking a small seating area on the floor (between 4-6 people were always hanging out and chatting there) and a communal dining table.

Our hosts speak wonderful English and are clearly very proud of the guest house, as they should be.

We had a wonderful time.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Ellie1023
Reviewed September 9, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights in the co-ed dorm room. The dorm, traditional style rooms, and common areas were all beautifully decorated and immaculately clean. The common room and kitchen were really cozy and fun to hang out in. There was internet and travel books to help you plan your next day, and the owners were a great resource for finding fun things to do. They were so welcoming and made the hostel feel a bit like home - I wish we could've stayed in Kyoto longer.

The hostel is an quick train ride from the main Kyoto station and about a 10min walk from there. Be sure to take a copy of the map and directions - there are lots of little streets and though it isn't too hard to find it's always nice to be sure of yourself in a new city.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
7  Thank kkcole
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed in the common dorm room of the Guesthouse Roujiya in July 2011. It was, without a doubt, the best guesthouse experience I've ever had. Roujiya is brand new, and has a beautiful kitchen, common area, and bathrooms. All are spotless, the A/C is great, and Roujiya is a great place for those with shared-bathroom-phobia like me (they're quite private and always clean). The free WiFi is fast. Yet despite all these amenities, Roujiya's best asset is its owners, the Bushimatas. Nao and Kaori are a young couple and speak nearly perfect English. They provide maps and tour recommendations, and rent out towels and bikes (Kyoto is a perfect town to see by bike). They're super knowledgeable, and were one of my favorite parts of my stay in Kyoto. Simply put, Roujiya is fantastic. Its sterling reputation on TripAdvisor is well earned.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
8  Thank bostoncollege11
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Roujiya is a elegant, recently completed ryokan with great owners and bike rental located close to the world heritage site Nijo-jo Castle. The accommodation has all the traditional elements of tatami-matted rooms, sliding doors, communal lounge etc and also communal bath about 100m away. All furniture and fittings are brand new and blend the traditional elements with modern features as well (aircon, showers, communal kitchen), the result is a very cosy and elegant base from which to explore Kyoto. The owners are very friendly and helpful and will do their utmost to make your stay as comfortable as possible - even cycling after me to give me back a key deposit i had forgotten about after checking out before reception opened! The bike rental is reasonably priced and has several options, just bare in mind that though cycling in Kyoto is easy, parking your bike on streets and near sites is not, you have to use parking lots often a few hundred meters or more from sites.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sikewri
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The Roujiya Guesthouse, in short was perfect for what I needed, with the extra little touches.

I made the choice to stay at the guest house as affordability mixed in with style was something that turned me on more to make the choice, which usually comes at a cost.

From entering the traditional, yet modern house, you notice how clean everything is. New wooden floor's have been placed, and glass paneled doors. The first floor, has the small, informal reception, and moves into the lounge area, with dinning table, kitchen and floor seating. The sleeping area is upstairs, in which I stayed in a dorm, which worked perfectly as there was only one other in the room at the time and a few more proceeding days. The bunk I had was comfortable, and although in a dorm, felt private? A reading light was placed in my area, to have the choice to read if others wish to have lights out. The other rooms in the house include another bunk bed room, and a traditional Tatami set up.

Downstairs the tea pot is always kept filled with water with choices of teas after a days adventuring out.

All guests are free to cook as and when, just as long as you label your item's.

The communal showers, and this is being honest, are the cleanest I have seen in a guesthouse, or hostel listed lodging ever. The fact they also put thought into privacy of the design is something. There are two showers, with an initial sliding door to separate, after which you have your compartment with the shower door. Extra's are also supplied, I.e, shower gels, and shampoo, and a laundry basket is placed in the area for convenience.

This place is small, but it's just right, you're in Kyoto!

If you want to go biking, there are bikes for hire for a reasonable 500 yen, there are also electric bikes for a little more, which I used. The electric cycle was perfect for my complete day racing over to Arashiyama, and back, seriously mileage there. If you need to get around, don't bother with the trains, just grab a map, arm yourself with tips and cycle.

The thing that made my trip in Kyoto special was the owners of this place. They completely went out of their way to always mark another place out, or where best to go over another. My 5 nights there were made perfect because the attention to detail to guests, and equally the house.

The best tip of all, you have to ask about “The Kaiseki” place to go, maybe the one of the best meals I have ever had, and at an amazing deal arranged by them also, I never would have been able to have afforded this meal, unless it was arrange by the guest house, it's just always worth asking.

If you want a place that is modern yet has history all around, stay here. The area is also mostly all residential, so you don't get tourist's running up and down, but you get a taste of real Japan. Across the street is a great public bath house, yep, for a few pounds, dollars, you can bathe then make a choice to dip in blazing hot tubs, or slightly cooler ones for a completely Japanese experience. Down the block is also the local covered way market, and hordes of places to grab food.

If you want, a no fuss place to sleep, at a good price, that's clean, modern, and thinks with good style aesthetics maybe consider here?

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo