All reviewsnijo stationenjoyed my staycomfortable bedscastlecurtainsyensupermarketsubway
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We very much enjoyed our stay in this hostel. The owners were very kind and helpful. The hostel itself was really clean and a relaxing place to wake up in and end up in after a busy day sightseeing. Also very close to nijo castle! Thoroughly recommend to anyone who wants to live in a friendly and clean hostel!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Mrped
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Extremely pleased and grateful to have stayed at the guesthouse of such wonderful people! Immaculate furnishings and trendy, yet traditionally retained interior designs. Comfortable beds (or tatamis) and hot water always available for showers. They even allowed me to stay in bed one day when I came down with a bad cold. Bicycle rental was extremely useful and fun! Free internet and they were always willing to assist with language barriers! Curfew, but like all of their house rules, maintained the quiet, tranquil atmosphere, and when circumstances arose, they were 100% flexible and understanding. Social environment made for hilarious and respectful conversations with young, but mature adults and the guesthouse owners even went the extra step to initiate new or shy guests to the roundtable of those already acquainted. They were very knowledgeable of directions and recommended spots including karaoke bars/boxes! Location was decent and directions to the guesthouse were somewhat difficult at first, but could be achieved at night the first time without the need to call for help (although they could be reached) with patience and some common sense. Access to train, subway, or bus routes were 5-10 min walk/jog. Places to eat or buy groceries were also within reach. The detailed map was especially useful! Public bath house was quite an experience at their recommendation! Prices for various amenities and overall per night, coupled with the excellent hospitality and service made for a best value that compete well with other hostels and even hotels! The experience only intensified my desires to one day MAYBE move to Kyoto or somewhere in Japan to learn and experience the peaceful culture and the language.

Room Tip: Just book before they fill up during busy periods!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank KaraokeBar
Reviewed April 30, 2011

This is a beautiful guesthouse - I very much enjoyed staying here. Although aspects of it were challenging to a Westerner, we were made so welcome here it didn't seem to matter and I felt much less awkward and clumsy than at another traditional guesthouse we stayed at. The owners had excellent English and were very charming and warm and open to conversation, and so were the other guests - it had a very friendly and pleasant vibe about it.

It seems to be a new or recently renovated house, and was airy and bright and immaculately clean. For some reason I particularly adored the wallpaper in the upstairs toilet - black textured paper with a silver pattern on it. The room was a good size, with the bedding stored against the wall during the day. An extra layer of firm foam was provided for Westerners unaccustomed to sleeping just on a futon, which I tried to be tough and to do without at first, but quickly succumbed to.

The shared bathroom was accessed through the communal area downstairs, which meant greeting breakfasting people while wearing one's robe and without one's face on. There were two showers, and somehow there was never any waiting for them, so it was the best possible shared-bathroom experience.

Wifi was free. A well-appointed kitchen area and fridge for food storage was available to guests, which we thought we probably wouldn't need - until we went to Nishiki market and bought a swag of fabulous stuff to eat at the guesthouse.

And I'd highly recommend renting a bike for 800 yen a day to explore Kyoto! I hadn't ridden a bike for about twenty years, and it was the last thing I'd thought of doing, but a Dutch couple talked us into it, for which we were very grateful. Kyoto's one city where bikes work very well.

Location-wise, the guesthouse is quite a walk east to downtown, but this means it's not inundated with tourists and it feels more real and local. At the end of the street is the long covered market of Sanjo-dori, which we loved - every morning for breakfast and coffee, we went to the very cool Teramachi coffeehouse just around the corner.

One thing to be aware of if you're coming straight from the nearby Omiya station, though, is that the instructions given on the website for reaching the guesthouse aren't very clear - it took us hours of wheeling suitcases to find it, while ravenously hungry. One problem is that there are several barbershops on Sanjo-dori west of the park rather than just the one referred to on the map, and we went up the wrong street and got very lost.

Once you're there, though, Roujiya is a delight, and at a very reasonable price - I think under AUD$100 a night for the room.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank toscorlando
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I stayed there for 3 nights and really fall in love with this lovely guesthouse.
Everything is extremely clean and I really enjoyed the Japanese style with a tatami room.
It's surprising to know that the owners of the guesthouse designed the house by themselves. I really love the Japanese architecture style: simple but elegant.
The owners are really lovely ones who always warmly greeted us when we came back after long sightseeing days.
Honestly the location of the guesthouse is not perfect (not central) but we found the bus stop and train station are both within walking distance and everything becomes easier.
I would like to say that this guesthouse is the perfect choice for those who want to experience homestay in Japan with the most affordable price. I will definitely stay there again if I come back to Japan, and make sure to make reservation at our soonest as the rooms are very limited (only 2 private and 2 dorms). We were lucky to get the tatami room after someone's cancellation due to the earthquake.

But finally, it was out BEST choice of our trip to Japan.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank Lien_Ta1980
Reviewed August 24, 2010

I have travelled quite a bit around Asia and the Pacific, though it's always a pleasure visiting Kyoto in Japan. As always I enjoy comparing different accommodations in the affordable price range. My last visit to Kyoto however made an impression for life.

I had chosen for this accommodation because it was located near beautiful Nijo castle and on walking distance from down town. Unlike European stations the central station of Kyoto is not near the city centre. Roujiya is located in a traditional neighbourhood with real Kyoto locals. If you're interested to learn the Japanese language you might pick up some good examples of the Kansai dialect here.

Besides its great location this guesthouse is the cleanest I have encountered so far. I should place a side comment that the guesthouse just opened a couple months ago (but this doesn't influence the atmosphere negatively). I enjoyed talking to the owners Kaori and Naoya. This couple have travelled many countries themselves and know how put their experience in practice. Besides a social chat they gave me some great ideas for visiting places I hadn't seen before (even after been to Kyoto at least 6 times).

It's great having been here, I wished I could have extended my stay! After this positive experience I'm sure that I'll end up staying here again!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo