“Typical Japanese house”

Guesthouse Kingyoya
Ranked #56 of 395 Specialty lodging in Kyoto
Reviewed October 8, 2012

It's one of the best choice if you are ready to experience some Japanese style: the way you sleep, you talk, shared bathroom, and food. Some may think privacy is a bigger issue while many tourists find it interesting to spend several days in this guesthouse to complete their experience in Japan.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Qin J

Reviewed September 10, 2012

The staff here are lovely and helpful. The house is 10 years old and beautiful with incense burning by the stairs. The location is fine as there is a bus stop nearby and the temples are scattered everywhere in Kyoto anyway there is not fixed point you will need to be at. There cosy restaurants nearby too. Breakfast is really nice although does not vary much everyday.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jasmin s
Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed two nights here. Lovely ryokan, best value in Kyoto. Breakfast worth getting for the experience. The garden at the back is just heaven. Location a bit out of the way in Kyoto. But dont let it turn you off Kyoto is not a big city and services well by buses and subway. The map given by kingoya not to helpful. Here's advice to get there: take the bus as advised. When it drops you off at bus stop the first intersection in front of you go across the road down that street for approx 250 meters . You will see a Suzuki sign first and then the Honda sign hidding behind it. Turn left then right. About 20 meters on right look out for the smallest sign in the world on the ground leaning against house. Staff are friendly but not very helpful with directions. I asked how to get to a temple in kyoto and the staff just pointed and said that way. Like I said the map is not very helpful it didn't have all the small streets on it. What makes it harder is that the street signs are all in Japanese. Recommend bath house near place and the ear plugs offered there as you will hear every squeak, step in the house. But the experience is with it.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank kenneygunit
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed at the Kingyoya for 3 nights (would have wanted one more, but they were booked). We totally loved our Japanese-style room and the common areas. There is only one shower and two toilets, but we never had to wait. Plus there is an Onsen (public bath) just 5 minutes walk from the gueshouse. As said the Kingyoya is a traditional Japenes house and therefore the walls are very thin, however, all guests were very respectful and kept the noise down, especially after 10 pm. We really liked the location in this quaint beautiful neighbor hood with fun restaurants and cafés close by. You can also rent bicycles for 500 yen a day and easily visit some sights by bike. All the staff was really friendly and made our stay an enjoyable one. We can absolutely recommend the Kingyoya if you like to stay in a Japanese-style guesthouse.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chevere32
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We had a fantastic time staying here. The best part was renting bikes and exploring the tiny roads that bisect these residential parts of Kyoto. Just take some random left and rights and you'll find all kinds of random temples. It is also really close to one of the best public Onsens and there is a great cafe and paper making store nearby.

Yumiko and her boyfriend are fantastic hosts, and our 1-year-old daughter loved them and their delicious Japanese breakfast. This was my fourth trip to Kyoto, and I think this is by far the best place I've stayed yet!

Room Tip: We managed to fit our babies Phil and Ted sleep tent along with two futons into the extra room of th...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ForrestAndGeorgette
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I stayed in Kingyoya for 2 nights during mid-April and it was truly unforgettable! Situated in the middle of a typical Kyoto neighbourhood, the entire guesthouse, in and out, brims with a truly authentic Japanese atmosphere. Rooms are equipped with paper sliding doors and the main living is completed with a kotatsu. My room was a double-deck bed on the 2nd floor and they beddings were extremely clean and cosy. It was equipped with both an air-conditioner and a heater, but Kyoto's spring is comfortable enough to not utilise either.

The staff had an impeccable level of service from the moment I entered the guesthouse. I was given a brief tour of Kingyoya's facilities and services before helping me carry my heavy luggage up to the 2nd storey. They were also more than willing to provide me a second copy of Kyoto's bus map (invaluable in a city running mainly on buses) when I lost my first, not to mention their excellent command of English.

For a small fee, you could also enjoy a truly authentic Japanese breakfast, completed with refillable rice and miso soup to kick-start your day before exploring the treasures of Kyoto. I've even tried to mingle with Japanese travellers who were also spending their night in Kyoto over breakfast, despite my very limited command of Japanese.

If I would to nit-pick, it would be the guesthouse's thin walls. I could pretty much hear the excitement of the girls next door when they were packing the loot from their trip, but no biggie.

I would like to express my thanks to Kingyoya and her wonderful staff in making my Kyoto trip unforgettable! For the cleanliness and level of comfort, the price is hard to beat if you want to experience a really authentic Japanese accommodation!

Note: As mentioned, Kingyoya is situated in the middle of a neighbourhood, do remember to print out the map provided at its website as it may not be easy to find. Definitely keep a look out for the Honda sign ;) And Kyoto is not a big city so trips to main attractions are not as difficult as one might have imagined. BTW, Kingyoya is just 20 mins on foot to Kinkakuji

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank labi
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I stayed in Kingyoya Guesthouse while visiting Kyoto for 4 nights and it was the best choice I made during my 2-week vacation in Japan! I first downloaded the map from the website and found no difficulties in searching this guesthouse when I arrived at night. I took the bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto using my JR pass and transfer to the Nijo JR station to take the #206 bus and get off at Kenryuko-mae station (all stops are displayed on its overhead LCD board at the front of the bus). Remember to print out the map listed on the website and you will be able to find the guesthouse easily (remember to look for the Honda sign in the neighbourhood as per the map---it is much smaller than what I imagine). I was staying in the triple room, and it was a "one-bedroom suite" which has a living area and a bedroom. I totally enjoy how this house is covered by tatami and guests sleep on futon (traditional Japanese bed/ mattress on the floor). It was such a fun experience to sit on the tatami and sleep on a futon just like what you see in manga/ cartoon and tv drama. The whole guesthouse is really clean and the futon has fresh bed sheet that you make the bed (futon) at night, The guesthouse has wireless internet, which is a great amenity as I can research and plan my itinerary in my room. I stayed in Kingyoya during winter, so it was good that our room, the common area/ dining room and the toilet (the sink, the shower and the toilet all are located separately so a guest still get to brush teeth when someone occupies the toilet and another one is taking a shower simultaneously) each have a heater. I would recommend going to the public bathhouse/ hot spring called Funaoka-Onsen, which is about 5 min. walk away from the guesthouse. It was the best thing to do at night in the winter as it is cold at night in Kyoto, so after the sightseeing in the day, it is totally worthwhile to pay 410 yen (~$5.5 CAD) to experience this hot spring. At night the neighbourhood is very quite (I didn't see anyone on the street for my 4-night stay) but I felt quite safe walking to the onsen by myself even when it was 10:30pm. Although there is no central heating (very common in Japanese houses), the common area/ dining room has a heater table , which is a table top with a heavy blanket and a heater underneath. I totally felt like a Japanese local when I was sitting by the heater table, enjoying my breakfast that was made by the host and hostess. I strongly recommend that you order breakfasts during your reservation because every day my breakfast is made fresh by Yumiko, the friendly and helpful hostess who owns this guesthouse. The delicious breakfast is traditional Japanese style, where you get rice, miso soup, pan fried fish, egg roll and delicious Kyoto tofu (Kyoto is famous from its tofu) or nato and other side dishes. My boyfriend really misses the nato even now that we returned home a month after our stay. The guesthouse is very close to 3 bus stops that you can literally go to anywhere in Kyoto by bus. I really enjoyed taking a tour at the Kyoto Imperial Palace (which, to my surprise, not many visitors go there or know about this place) as well as going to Nijo Castle as they were important locations in Japanese samurai shogun period.

Room Tip: You can reserve up to 4 months before your stay, so be sure to book early as the 3 private rooms are...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple