“Very good. ”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Gion
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Let me say that the service at Yata is amazing. The people are friendly and willing to explain anything on the menu -- I discovered a wonderful new vegetable, the water shield, and they were so happy to tell me about it and encourage me to branch out and try it. The tilefish was also wonderful. Truly, there were no complaints here. It just didn't blow my mind, and that's what a five star restaurant should do. The service, again, was TOP NOTCH.

2  Thank sjgjess1

Reviewed April 4, 2014

We had the 8,000 pp yen set menu and really enjoyed it. It was not the best kaiseki that we have had but we had a great night and thoroughly enjoyed the food. Fairly expensive but worth it.

4  Thank NikNakRoyMac
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I couldn't leave Kyoto without trying a "Kaiseki" meal for which the area is suppose to be renown. My hotel recommended "Yata" which apparently, is quite popular in Kyoto. It was so popular that I couldn't get a dinner reservation even a day ahead. It was a good thing the restaurant allowed me to dine at 6 pm provided I would be done in an hour.

I had the October set menu which was comprised of several small plates, much like a degustation. While the portions were small and elegantly presented, they were quite satisfying.

I started off with fresh bonito with light soy sauce, quickly followed by:

Scallops, yam, wild chervil, and salmon roe with a grated radish sauce
Sea eel and turnip in clear soup
Seasonal sushi
Simmered Lotus root and japanese potato dumplings
Grilled cutlass with chestnuts and mushroom
Rice and dried young anchovies, red miso soup, and pickles
Fresh persimmon

Each dish complemented the previous one and prepared your palette for the next. Everything that was served was sourced from nearby and highlighted what was in season. The ingredients per dish were few and simple but just worked perfectly with each component.

While the food was one of the more expensive ones I had in Japan, I felt it was money well spent. They don't just serve food, they give you an experience.

If you want to pamper yourself, "Yata" would be a great choice.

1  Thank Peewee L
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We had the best meal of our holiday here. The restaurant was recommended and booked by our excellent hotel Mume, and they put us in pole position in the centre of the counter facing the chef - ask for B3 seat. The food was excellent and the ambience all one could hope for. Another good thing about where were placed was that we were sitting down with our legs under the counter, rather than on the floor at a low table. But if you prefer the latter traditional style and the restaurant theatre provided by the chef doesn't excite you, then ask for cross-legged low-level table service. Delicious sushi and tempura as you can see on their website. Yata is located in one of the Geisha areas in Gion and is near a pretty shrine and by a canal, so go a bit early to have a walk round - you may even spot one...

3  Thank Expatriotscot
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is a top-notch, modern-style kaiseki (set multi-course) restaurant. You can, of course, order a la carte, but that takes way to much energy for me. We ordered the 80000 Yen set meal, and we weren't disappointed. The resultant meal was 7 course, if I remember correctly, refined, seasonal, carefully presented, and with a modern sensibility. The sauce with the grilled sweet-fish was memorable. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank wobbs1