Citadines Karasuma-Gojo Kyoto
$235
$481
$235
Great 4.5/5
Hotel Monterey Kyoto(Kyoto)(Great Value!)
$415
Ryokan
$328
$248
Very Good 4/5
Ibis Styles Kyoto Station(Kyoto)(Great Value!)
$300
$324
$174
  • Free Internet
2,011 results
All reviewsserviced apartmentstudio premiersubway stationsoba restaurantsmall kitchenminute walkcooking facilitiesgood sizewashers and dryerssofa beddrug storejapanese standardslaundry facilitiesconvenient locationliving areanishiki marketbus stop
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 16, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Citadines Kyoto for eight nights in July 2011. I thought it was one of the best values of any hotel I've stayed at anywhere. The price was great for summer compared to other hotels in Kyoto and Japan in general. The highlights include:

-Location: Superb for exploring Kyoto and Kansai area: The subway and is right outside the front door and one subway stop from Kyoto train station. Guests can also walk to Shijo-dori and Central Kyoto within 10-15 minutes. We took advantage of the distance to both: doing several day trips out of Kyoto from Kyoto station (Osaka, Hiroshima, etc.) and would walk to Poncho-dori and Shijo-dori in the evening for dinner (the Gion district is only another 5 minute walk from Shijo-dori). In addition, there is a super market near the hotel (2-3 blocks west) which is convenient for picking up any food items you may want to have on hand in the kitchenette.

-Service: First rate. The front desk staff was consistently warm and helpful. I felt that the staff went above and beyond in helping my wife and I with recommendations for local attractions and restaurants. They even made a restaurant reservation for us in a very hard to get into restaurant in the neighborhood. As another example of their dedication to customer service, the staff were extremely thoughtful in trying to help me find my lost wedding band. On the morning we were checking out and in a rush to get to Kyoto station, after realizing I had lost my ring, the front desk receptionist was up in room helping me try to find it. He moved several pieces of furniture and was on the floor helping to look before taking a description see if the cleaning staff could find it (I ended up finding it later in a bag).

Room: We were in a standard king room. The rooms are thoughtfully designed to create as much space as possible. We loved the sliding door between the couch and bed, which created an extra "room" in the space of a standard hotel room. We never felt overcrowded, after being in the hotel more than a week. The only English channels the TV carried were BBC and CNN International, but I welcomed the limited selection (being overseas for a reason).

In addition to the comments above, everything in the hotel was clean, tidy and well-maintained. The breakfast, which we opted to pay for a few days, was adequate. One does have to pay for the internet in the lobby, but considering the great cost of the room, I thought that was fine.

The only piece of negative feedback that I can think of is that regardless of length of stay, each room is only given four tea bags. After running out, I was unable to get additional tea bags even through purchase. We picked some up at the nearby store.

Certainly, this is not a full service hotel (e.g. no exercise room, bar, restaurant), but I still think that this is a fantastic, well located, value for a hotel that exceeds expectations.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2011

The location was great. It was very close to the JR station. For what I paid, the room was nice and spacious, with a miniature kitchen. I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Spent two weeks travelling around Japan and this hotel was by far the best.From the moment you walk through the front door to reception you feel at home.The staff speak good English and are very friendly and ever so helpful with advise on local eating places close to the hotel and attractions to see.Our room was well fitted out,modern and clean with plenty of space to move about.The location of the hotel is also very convenient,close to the subway from Kyoto Station and central to most things.This place is all class.

Reviewed October 6, 2011

Great new hotel between Kyoto station and downtown. Subway entrance at the corner of hotel. Spacious rooms for Japan. Stayed in a double with extra bed. Nice sliding wall for privacy between doublebed and sofabed. Functional kitchenette with microwave, stove, toaster and waterkettle. On tv CNN and BBC were both english, not japanese dubbed.

Stylish reception hall with efficient and friendly staff. Breakfast was disappointment, though it costs only 770 yen which is cheap in japanese standards. Outside hotel is seven-eleven and about 200 metres east on Gojo-dori (street where hotel is located) is an 24h supermarket with much better variety than 7-11. Better make your own breakfast.

Reviewed October 3, 2011

Would have given an excellent rating if this place had a Gym. Great location only a 1 min walk from the metro or bus. The front desk staff I dealt with were great in helping out with some questions I had. All front desk staff spoke good English.