“Great Tour!”

Kyoto Cycling Tour Project
Ranked #6 of 139 Outdoor Activities in Kyoto
More attraction details
Owner description: A city where is full with history and culture. In such a city, ancient traditional daily practices are remained in the backstreets, where usually not put in travel guide books. KCTP cycling tour leads you to explore those Kyoto’s chessboard like backstreet’s culture and custom with professional English speaking guides. Probably, it is the slowest cycling tour in the world, so even senior has no hesitate to join. Let’s explore Kyoto’s little treasure together!
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I have done several bikes tours while visiting cities in Europe so were excited at the opportunity to see Kyoto by bike. It was only a day trip for us so we were limited on how much we'd get to see. This was a great way for us to see as much as possible in the time we had. We chose to do the Golden Tour and met our guide, Hiroko, in the bike shop west of the train station. We were surprised to find out that it took us about 45 minutes by bus to get from Kyoto Train Station to this bike shop. Part of this could have to do with traffic. I might suggest looking to see if there is a train or subway stop that is close by as an alternative. Despite being late and having cold, rainy weather, Hiroko was very welcoming on our arrival. She geared us up with equipment including hand warmers, rain pants and jackets and we were off. The sites were fantastic and our tour was one to remember. If it had not been so cold and wet, we would have loved to spend more time on our bikes after the tour was completed. They allow you use of the bikes for the entire day afterwards! Should we return to Kyoto, we will definitely do another tour with Kyoto Cycling Tour Project.

2  Thank EFG22

Reviewed January 12, 2013

KCTP are brilliant! This is easily my no. 1 recommendation for the best way to visit Kyoto.

We were lucky to have the wonderful Keiko-san as our guide. She is really friendly and knowledgeable, and her English is fantastic!

We did the full day West Kyoto tour. The day started off with a little snowfall, so I was given something to cover my bag with in the bicycle basket, and KCTP also provided raincoats and hand warmers. We went to stunning attractions, including Nijo castle, the Golden Pavilion, Ryoanji temple...

Keiko-san took us through all the different visits with fascinating historical and cultural facts and thoughts. She also took us for tea on several occasions, japanese red bean sweets (sooo good) and a delicious lunch. She is a really interesting person, and great company! Before we left Arashiyama to cycle back to KCTP office, we got some hot coffee and she then gave us some more of those red bean snacks we'd had earlier in the day - it was so thoughtful and sweet!

In terms of cycling itself: It is very easy to cycle in Kyoto. Lots of people ride bicycles, cars are very courteous (not a huge amount of traffic anyway). It's quite flat, and anywhere where there was some incline, Keiko-san let us know made sure we could handle it fine, and that we were going at a pace that suited us. The bikes are also very comfy and easy to use.

All in all a fun and memorable experience. Thank you Keiko-san and KCTP for an amazing day!! When we one day visit Japan again, we will come back to do another tour :)

1  Thank Belle_Gee
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We are a family of 4 and did the backstreet tour. We got to see lots and really appreciated the way we were left at the end of the tour and allowed to keep the bikes. Our tour guide recommended a great restaurant and we were able to go back to a couple of places in the afternoon. It was a cold day so the hot packs provided worked well!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We're a couple in late 20s looking for 2 more ppl to join us for the Backstreet Tour on 1st May. Kindly email me via Tripadvisor if you're interested. Thanks!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

After reading the reviews of this cycling tour I booked myself in for the Kinkaku Arashiyama Golden (half-day) tour and it was easily the highlight of my trip to Kyoto and perhaps even my two week holiday in Japan. The tour guide was extremely knowledgeable and spoke excellent English. The tour itself is a great way to see the many temples and sights of Kyoto and beats sitting in a tour bus or taking public transport from place to place. The tour guide takes you to all the major temples (including Kinkaku-ji and Ginkaku-ji, perhaps the best known and most spectacular temples in Kyoto) and also to lesser knowns sights and through some great countryside. The bikes are in great condition and cycling on the roads in Japan (even for a novice bike rider like me) was very easy. The tour is a little pricey but worth every single yen - I highly recommend it.

3  Thank Metaxas