“Great place to stay while in Kyoto”

Capsule Ryokan Kyoto
Ranked #3 of 300 Specialty lodging in Kyoto
Vancouver, Canada
“Great place to stay while in Kyoto”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We love the location and the friendly service. Very innovative way to store the luggage in your room. The room is small, but you have everything that is needed. There is a free use of kimono to wear for taking photos. Bicycle rental store is closeby as well, so we rented bicycles for the day to tour all of Kyoto. Breakfast not included but there is a budget restaurant 3 minutes away where one can buy breakfast for 200 yens.

2 Thank tbwong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Cape Town
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We were able to walk from Kyoto Rail Station to Capsule Ryokan in 10 minutes. Once we arrived we were given a tour of the place and shown our room. We came down a bit later and one of the people who worked there gave us a map and explained most of what we needed to know to start our exploring. He told us there were great restaurants on the same street as them, and we had some of our best meals in Japan in some of the locals spots on that road. The next day we hired bikes from a company not far from the Ryokan and toured alot of the temples and shrines, including the Path of Philosophy. It was great to have the bikes for a day! The room is just what you need. I was amazed at how functional everything was. The shower was great too :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Montana
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Unconventional, but great! The owner has tried to combine the international atmosphere of a youth hostel with the hospitality of a traditional Ryokan. I stayed with my wife in one of the Ryokan en suite rooms. The room was tiny (and I mean tiny!). As soon as you walked in you passed the toilet cubicle (with a heated toilet seat and about a dozen control buttons), and then you were basically sitting on the bed; the only storage space was under the bed (a roll-out futon style bed). The decor was Ryokan-inspired, with Tatame mats on the bed, and a paper screen in front of the window. The shower was integrated into the room, but had it's own exhaust, so that it doesn't steam up the room. - it's the funkiest shower I have ever seen, with colored LED lighting, and mist and massage functions. A flatscreen was is mounted onto the wall - everything very compact, but functional, so that the limited space doesn't become a burden. The room was absolutely spotless, quite, and the bed comfortable. The personal at the front desk was very friendly (we arrived 3 hours before check-in time, but they had the room and were happy to accommodate us), and in the Lobby there were always young fellow travelers to talk to. It's within easy walking distance to the train station, a convenience store is close by, as well as several Japanese fast food places (fish and rice for breakfast) and a really good bakery. Not only one of the cheapest ways to stay in Kyoto, but also one the most interesting ways (it feels a little bit like Japan in a microcosm: ancient culture and modern technology combined together with a<excellent service, all in a very limited space) - a very cool place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Thomas H
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed in mid October for 5 nights in the double rooms and loved every minute at the Capsule Ryokan. What a wonderful place. We arrived well before check in hoping to leave our bags and do some sight seeing, but the room was already ready, the staff gave us a tour, showed us to our room and recommended things to do for the day. There is also a folder in each room with restaurants, shopping, sight seeing, bus maps etc that was invaluable!
The room is so well set out, so cute with everything you need. And the shower is amazing.
Be sure to take advantage of the free kimono trying in the lobby for a great photo, and they have everything you need to borrow as well - hangers, internet cables, iron. etc.

The highlight however would have to be the friendly staff, always smiling, always available to help and always so full of information, recommendations and happy for a chat.

A must for anyone staying in Kyoto!

1 Thank Melanie W
Mainz, Germany
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed in one of the Capsule Ryokan's private rooms for eight nights in September/October of 2012. I found my room as well as the common areas clean, comfortable, and even somewhat stylish. The showers are a highlight. Prices are more than reasonable for Japan.

The best thing about this place, however, is the staff, who during my stay there were amazingly welcoming and helpful towards me; what's more, they spoke fluent English and were happy to use it!

In summary, this is a great place to stay, and I'd recommend it to anyone without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank M S
Lille
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This hotel is a great surprise! Very clean, room are really nice, great shower included in the double room, and toilets, that s really really cute! Organisation is great they have a booklet with all info you need, train, bus, restaurant, sightseeing, they are really helpful, plus there is a free kimono trying in the evening :-)!!! Really nice, go there!

Room Tip: I did not try the capsule juste the double room.
1 Thank Anne from Lille E
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed at Capsule Ryokan Kyoto for 3 nights in October. I did the reservation a couple of weeks prior to my travel and I was glad I made it as it was a very busy time for them. They needed a credit card for reservation but you have to pay for the whole stay when you checked in. Do give them notice if you are arriving very late as the front desk is closed and the door is locked at 10pm. For the residents, they can use the room key to open the side door.

Location was great. I flew into Osaka Kansai and took the express train to Kyoto. 70 min. The hotel is very easy to find. Use the direction provided on the Capsule Ryokan site. It took about 10 min (including the waiting time at traffic light). There are lots of restaurants in the area open late (and the ones I visited have the menu translated into English).

After check in at the desk, I was given a tour of my room (private room with own shower and toilet). It was a small room compare to North American or Chinese hotel rooms but it has a frosted window (made sure the you draw the curtain if you are arriving late at night as it is really bright in the morning.) The bed is Japanese style. This is one of the reasons I wanted to stay there. It's amazing how the space is used efficiently. Shower and toilet are also high tech..;-) Note that hand soap isn't available at the sink. But the shower has body soap, shampoo and conditioner.

Free Wi-Fi is available in the 1st floor. Wired connection is available in the room. Big Flat screen TV is available but all the channels are Japanese...(I didn't care for the TV anyway). Air conditioning is available. All the remote controls are in Japanese but they have translated some of the key functions of the controllers.

On the day I checked out, I asked for where I could buy excellent Japanese knives in Kyoto at the front desk. Ayaka from the front desk recommended a knives shop which is family owned and has been making knives for 1000 plus years. She checked the places up on the internet and even called up to find the exact location, opening hours and etc. I bought a couple of knives from there. Thanks Ayaka.

I should have based my whole stay in Kyoto instead of hopping to other cities. This hotel is really close to the train station (and bus stops) and the train service in Japan is excellent to visit other key attractions, including Hiroshima. Overnight stay in Hiroshima is better though if you want to visit Miyajima.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo