“Great stay”
Review of Guesthouse Keiko

Guesthouse Keiko
Ranked #29 of 160 B&Bs / Inns in Kyoto
Reviewed November 9, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Keiko B&B and had a great time exploring Kyoto during 4 days. Its location is very close to the city centre so we visited most sites on foot. Our room was spacious and had excellent air conditioning which we very much needed in September. The B&B was very clean and quiet as well. Keiko gave lots of restaurant and shopping tips and paid for European style breakfast around the corner.

Room Tip: Ask for the room facing the back of the house.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 16, 2012

After staying in Tokyo - I was heading to Kyoto. And after seeing the good reivews of the B&B Keiko's Ryokan I decided to stay there.

And that was the right decision. It's not big, fancy or modern. But it's cosy, old fashioned and very homely. For me, it was the essence of living at a Ryokan to experience to more down to earth feeling of a Japanese B&B.

You are very much on your own unless there's company in the house as the host is not staying there (but will come by if requested any time). And with a free bike to roam around on, you're quick to feel home in Kyoto with your own little apartment and transportation.

Keiko, the host, is a wonderful host that are quite good at English and willing to offer suggestions, help you with bookings (hotels, plays, transportation) and even gave me a ride to the train station when leaving.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Staying at B&B Keiko for 3 nights in Kyoto made my trip so much more memorable! No joke. I hurried to Keiko's place right after arriving at KIX, being my first solo trip, I felt everything was so rushed and overwhelming, and even when my taxi arrived at B&B Keiko I still found myself a little lost. But Keiko came out of the minshuku and welcomed me in, showed me around the place, indicated on a map of the good places to dine at. Keiko is so nice! When I checked out she even went out of her way to drop me off at the next place I planned to stay at.

The minshuku itself is lovely, and a truly authentic experience (the stairs can be a little scary though, and the Japanese bath requires a little getting used to, but that all part of the experience!), but this didn't mean that there was a compromise on the amenities! There was an iPad for you to use, a CD player, awesome wifi coverage, and also air-con in the bedrooms. Keiko also put a little electric insect repellant thing in the bedrooms because it was summer.

You eat breakfast at a little cafe nearby, present the receipt to Keiko and she will deduct the amount from the fees.

In terms of location, it is in a very quiet neighbourhood, but extremely close to city centre as well, so no trouble at all for getting around!

I cannot praise B&B Keiko enough and will definitely stay there again next time I head back to Kyoto.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank animprobablelife
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This is a second time we stayed in B&B Keiko. This review is for downtown B&B and we stayed there for 6 nights in Nov 2011 with our 8 year old daughter. The price comes with breakfast at the nearby ShinShinDo cafe. It's a traditional Japanese house with the comfort of modern toilet and fairly traditional bathroom. There are 2 rooms upstairs with a common seating area, a bathroom and toilet downstairs. Location is ideal for exploring surrounding Kyoto on foot and bicycle. As usual Keiko and Raphael as such wonderful host, helping us with bus and train schedule etc. We had a wonderful time in Kyoto because of the lovely hosts and great accommodation to come back to!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Travelene3
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Highly recommended!
- Very near Kyoto's town centre
- REAL Japanese style house experience with tatami flooring
- Fantastic English-speaking hosts: Keiko + Raphael: They even let us use their bicycles!
- Good western-style breakfast included at the nearby Shinshindo café

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank King Tai C
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We stayed in B&B Keiko for three nights over the New Year holiday period What a lovely place! Owner Keiko is very kind and always willing to help, she came to pick us up from our previous hotel, and gave us a ride to the temple we were going to visit that day. Also dropped us off at Kyoto station when we left. It was very nice to meet her daughter too, just as friendly as her mum, she even 'helped' me to left the luggage!:) Raphel the other owner came over every night, to check if we need anything,and we had some fun chats together, a lovely person too. He even offered his iPad for us to use. There are free wifi available througout the house, so we were able to talk to our family on Skype on the NY's Eve.

It's an old house without modern day insulation so yes it can be cold at night but, there are heaters provided in every room even the toliet, so we didn't feel that cold, and actually enjoyed coming back everyday to sit in the living area downstairs with the heater on, have a cup of coffee and read some books or surf the net. You also get tea/coffee provided with a help-yourself counter in the corner. The room rate includes a breakfast set daily at a nearby cafe, which has a cute Japanese garden in it. It's about 10 mins walk to the cafe from the house. Nice neighborhood, very close to the famous tea shop 一保堂. About 20 mins walk to Sanjo.

Overall it's an unique and pleasant experience of our stay. Most importantly the owner Keiko would go out alll her way to help you. It's of good value too. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed November 15, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 8 nights in September 2011. After leaving the Kyoto station we took a taxi and after a phone call to the B&B for further directions we arrived to be greeted by Raphael. The building both outside and in is a time warp; tatami matting, sliding doors, low (ouch) doorways and futons. The garden is small and serene surrounded on 2 sides by a toilet and bathroom. The surrounding area is fairly peaceful with the odd talking truck in the early hours. The B&B is located about a 10 minute walk from the subway and main shopping area. There are plenty of cafes, restaurants and izakayas close by. For breakfast we went to a boulongerie around the corner. A bit of Paris in Kyoto. The big plus for the B&B is the host Raphael. I thought I was cool but you don't need the air-conditioning on when he's around. He gave us lots of advice, did our washing and was good for a chat now and again. We really loved our stay here. The modern world was left outside.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kyoto
Kamuroan
#8 of 160 in Kyoto
Minato Hotel
Minato Hotel
#4 of 160 in Kyoto

Been to Guesthouse Keiko? Share your experiences!