“Cramped place but decent food”

Indian Restaurant Raju, Tambaguchi
Ranked #1,422 of 15,108 Restaurants in Kyoto
Cuisines: Indian
Neighborhood: Shimogyo-ku
Description: Indian chef is the Indian restaurant to make use authentic spices. Also grilled meat dishes and nan of charcoal-grilled is a good tast. curry is changed to more spicy of your choice, please talk to the staff. the owner and staff is Muslim. we use the meat of HALAL. and also supports vegetarian. please talk to the staff.
Reviewed April 1, 2018

This place is close to Tambaguchi train station. It is just behind a footbridge and being a small outlet it might be a bit to find. Quite a cramped place probably manned by only one person (Raju?!). The good thing about it is that you get personal attention and the food is prepared fresh after an order is taken. The naan was huge and a bit undercooked and the dal was a let down. But the vegetarian biriyani and the mixed veg curry were good. Was a bit expensive for the value we derived from the meal. If you are starving for Indian food, worth a try though.

Reviewed December 8, 2016

My Friends and I were in Kyoto looking for somewhere to have lunch when we happened by Raju. The owner was there and was so nice, friendly and spoke English. His place is the real deal! Great Indian food (veterinarian options for my friend) and great lunch specials. If you find yourself in Kyoto by Ginkakuji Temple, take the five - ten minute stroll down the street to Raju. We got there around 1pm and did not have to wait long for our food. We were given water when we sat down. I got the tandoori chicken and Naan - SO GOOD! I love the size of the Naan. The food was excellent.

Reviewed July 10, 2016

Nice place to enjoy Indian delicacies. Tasty preparations.
The space inside is less and can not accommodate more than 10 persons. So if a large group turns in, it will be tough.
Good Indian music also is played...Friendly service...

Reviewed June 9, 2016

I stopped in here on a Sunday night since it was relatively close to my hotel. I got the special; tandor chicken, a curry, salad and a giant serving of naan. The food tasted fantastic, although it could have used a bit more heat.

My only real complaint is that the seating area is a bit small, and so there's no smoke free section.

Reviewed June 1, 2016

The hotel concierge advised this restaurant within easy walking distance. The vegetarian food was excellent, great value for money, really fresh ingredients and were happy to tailor the level of spices to our taste. Having travelled in India this was really good authentic food.