“The Best Indian Restaurant in Kyoto!!!”
Review of Ashoka

Ashoka
Ranked #902 of 12,331 Restaurants in Kyoto
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Shinkyogoku Shopping District
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I visited Kyoto with a copule of my friends and we were craving some Indian food that night. Also we wanted to dine at a restaurant where the servers can speak some English.

Ashoka is located in downtown area of Kyoto (Shijo), so it's very convenient for tourists,too!
We ordered some appetizers along with Indian beer first, they tasted amazing together since it was super hot outside and we were all hungry. After that, we ordered chicken and prawn curry plus some naan bread. The naan bread was soft and I honestly think it was one of the best naan bread I've ever tasted in my whole life!! So if you visit Ashoka, you gotta order NAAN!!
I recommend plain Naan and Cheese Naan.
The waitress working there was very helpful and nice to us and spoke perfect English, so we had no problem ordering withough knowing any Japanese haha

I have also been to some other Indian restaurants in Kyoto, but they were nasty and couldn't even be compared with Ashoka Kyoto! I will definately visit this place again and recommend to my friends as well!

1  Thank elizabethj0nes
There are newer reviews for Ashoka

Reviewed April 4, 2014

We stumbled upon this restaurant after 4 days in Japan and having trouble finding vegetarian food. We were actually looking for another Indian restaurant, having been given the name and general location by an Indian we bumped into in a Kyoto bus. We went in with great expectation and certainty that we will find vegetarian food.

Vegetarian food we did find but only to be disappointed. Firstly, there was no one to greet and escort us to a table for almost 5 minutes, even though a person had seen us enter. Being Indians we spoke to them in Hindi and requested them for good food made to cater to Indian taste rather than Japanese.

It seemed that they were short staffed as about 8 - 10 tables were occupied and we could see only 2 people running around. Anyhow, the food came and we dug in with great expectation. Not having eaten Indian food for almost 15 days (we had spent 10 days in Myanmar before arriving in Japan), the first few bites seemed delicious but then reality seemed to bite. We realised that the food was actually just okay and not very tasty, though we must acknowledge that the Naan was very good.

The daal seemed okay while the Baigan Bhartha was just passable. So we decided to order another helping of the daal instead of venturing another dish from the menu.

It took almost 10 minutes for it arrive and on top of it turned out to be watery and tasteless. We told the waiter so and sent it back and they soon brought another not for the experience to be repeated. So we decided to just eat it as there did not seem any point in raising it with the staff again.

The restaurant lacks atmosphere and the prices are also not very enticing. In fact , just a bit further down Teramachi there is another Indian restaurant called Ellora that we tried the next day, which is cheaper (but not necessarily good or better!

I don't think we can recommend this place - so if you can avoid it, please do.

2  Thank rajeev168
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Excellent Indian food whilst visiting Kyoto. My husband and I are vegetarian and they had plenty of options which was a pleasant change whilst travelling in Japan.

The food was excellent especially the naan bread. The service was very good. The atmosphere lacks a little but if you are here for the food, you won't be disappointed.

2  Thank RakheeT2013
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This place is located in a good location in the middle of busy shopping area of Kyoto.

Good sized restaurant but was pretty quiet when we went with family.

Welcome was indifferent with noone to greet us, but one of two waiters eventually saw us to show us to a table.

Menu is a standard 'curry house' menu so was expecting a safe bet and nice meal. Unfortunately, very disappointing with quality, taste, and service.

Food came out very quickly, which for me is suspicious i.e. frozen, pre-cooked food that has been touched up with spices and heated e.g. the palak (spinach) dishes were watery and spices poor, the garlic nan overdone/crisp with burnt garlic flakes.

Not the cheapest in terms of price which made the value worse. With other options for indian in Kyoto (e.g. Kerala which is not too far from this), I would not recommend this one.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Me and my wife went to this restaurant after looking some review here in trip advisor, the food quality was pretty good, good service and they speak in english without any problem. We ordered one starter, three main courses and two different type of naan.
If you love indian food and is not your first day in Kyoto it's a nice place to go, but if you will visit Kyoto just for few days there are absolutely better place to go.

2  Thank LucaXenia