“Great Japanese Beef”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center
Reviewed October 30, 2012

If you want to try great Japanese beef, Hafu is an excellent choice. I am a food snob, and I loved Hafu. Great, simple, contemporary and casual vibe, with counter seating and a separate dining room. I loved it so much, I went three times in my five day stay. I loved the set menu with the sirloin steak; note that they do not serve "Kobe" beef, but they serve a different breed of cow from a different prefecture. There are all sorts of classifications and grading and pedigrees for Japanese beef, and Kobe beef is among the most expensive; Hafu's beef is not as expensive as Kobe beef, but is comparable in quality. The 3900 yen (about US$50) lunch deal is a bargain. I also tried their steak sandwich on white bread (US$50), but with no accompaniments; I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as their sirloin steak with side dishes.

They actually have two locations, the original, and another one just around the corner; they are both good, though I preferred the original a little. Great place, great steak, great easygoing atmosphere.

1  Thank fishskis

Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I booked our anniversary dinner here on the strength of the trip advisor recommendations, not really believing it could possibly live up to the hype. But it did! We had the set menu (7500 yen each), complemented with a bottle of champagne (reasonably priced at 8000) and the whole experience was out of this world. Unpretentious, friendly, beautifully presented, freshly prepared exquisite food. I almost don't want to write this review as I want to keep this place a secret for myself. If you are in Kyoto, Hafuu is not to be missed!

Reviewed October 16, 2012

A seemingly simple place that has extraordinary sense of style with their food. Well prepared, great service and excellent taste is what I can roll into one sentence for Hafu.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Just came back from having dinner at Hafuu - based on recommendations from others on this site. Let me tell you - they were RIGHT! This was a fantastic meal! We had the second meal choice (Y6700) - an appetizer of squid, then a plate of cauliflower mouse with scallops, followed by the best hot fresh mushroom soup with warm fresh bread, then a salad - then the entree, the most tender piece of Kobe beef I've ever eaten - it melted in your mouth! The entree included potatoes and carrots. A dessert sampler followed - mine had vanilla ice cream, mango mouse and pineapple. My wife's dessert was mango ice cream, creme brûlée and pineapple. YUM! You just can't describe how perfect the meal was! It wasn't too hard to find - but the location given on Trip Advisor is incorrect!

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Superb! Excellent service, fantastic mouth-watering food, comfortable environment, and an all around pleasure. Sat at the counter and watched the chefs at work. Young 20-30 somethings crowd. We ordered a fillet and a sirloin steak set course which came with a delicious salmon hors d'oeuvres, cold appetizer plate of raw seafoods, hot carrot soup or cold pumpkin soup, light dressing salad, rice or freshly baked french bread, amazing rare-cooked wagyu beef with salt and soy sauces, and dessert plates (creme brulee, peach sorbet, pineapples or chocolate cake, french vanilla ice cream and pineapples) and coffee or tea. Both Y6700 - great price everything considered. Got to chatting in English with one of the very friendly servers who studied in America, which rounded out the experience. definitely recommend this gem - make reservations so as to sit at the counter, otherwise you might be put in a back room.