“Tasty, fresh udon restaurant within easy walking distance of nearby sights ”

Myodai Omen Ginkakuji Honten
Ranked #86 of 16,331 Restaurants in Kyoto
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Great place for lunch/dinner after visiting Ginkakuji temple or Philosopher’s walk. We were offered western or Japanese style dining. My partner and I both had udon noodles. They cater for vegetarian if you ask and give you a different broth without meat or seafood. Enjoyed the freshness of the vegetables in our noodles and the sesame adds a great flavour. I liked that they provided instructions on the table of how to eat your udon properly!

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (306)

Reviewed August 28, 2019

An unpretentious, special restaurant serving delicious noodles with very special toppings that one can pick and choose at the table. A perfect place to go for lunch when visiting the Philosopher's Walk or Ginkakuji. I eat here overtime I'm in Kyoto!

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed August 4, 2019 via mobile

We were tired after a long day of visiting temples.. and didn’t know were to go after the Ginkakuji temple. Just across the Philosophers path is this small restaurant with excellent local cuisine and delicious Sake!

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed July 1, 2019

We decided to complete the Philosopher's Walk and so reviewed restaurants in this area in the Lonely Planet Book and found this delightful place. We did have to ask a few people as to where it exactly was, but it was well worth it. The staff were very friendly and helpful as it was our first time in this type of restaurant. To top it off the food was absolutely scrumptious. I highly recommend this place for a meal when in the Kyoto region

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed May 16, 2019 via mobile

I'm not a big fan of udon so the udon tasted quite bland to me, even with the broth and toppings. Having said that, the pork rice bowl was good. The pork melts in your mouth.

Date of visit: May 2019