“Love the experience if not for the long wait....” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 363 Shopping in Kyoto
Paradise, California
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Love the experience if not for the long wait....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

I had a lot of fun wearing kimono for one day. I found this place online and apparent it is very popular with tourist. It is great but just tooooo busy. The place was packed with tourists. Since you need to have someone dress you in a kimono (it's very difficult to do it on your own) and do your hair as well, I waited for so long. The actual dressing up and doing my hair was quick and the staff did a wonderful job. The place is small and cramped already, plus the amount of tourists just make it like I'm going on shopping on boxing day. I made an appointment which doesn't even make any difference as I waited for almost an hour for someone to dress me after I picked my kimono. Otherwise I would love to come back again.

Visited April 2012
6 Thank Bambooscent

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
London
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A highlight of our Kyoto experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

Our daughter really wanted the chance to dress up in a kimono and we were delighted to find this place tucked away down a little alley near the Kyomizudera temple. It not only has kimonos for ladies, it has mens' outfits too and there were a lot of Japanese men taking advantage of this. They have 3 different "plans" with the most expensive obviously giving the largest choice - we went for the middle one which still had a reasonable selection to choose from. As well as a kimono you get an undergarment, obi, handbag (!), socks (which you keep) and shoes, and you can also have a shawl if the weather is chilly. You get a choice of 3 hairstyles (for an additional Y500). The whole process of choosing the outfit, dressing and hairdo took about 1 - 1 1/2 hours, but it was well worth it - you get the outfit for the whole day, to be returned at 8.30 in the evening. You can then wander round Kyoto and take photos wherever you want. This area of Kyoto is full of people dressed in kimonos and it really adds to the whole atmosphere to see people in traditional dress. Our daughter was probably the only non-Japanese person dressing up, and she did get stopped on the street by Japanese girls in kimonos wanting to have a photo taken with her. Apparently if you wear a kimono in Kyoto you get discounts in some places or free rides but we only found out about this afterwards so weren't able to take advantage of it.

Visited April 2012