“Defining Service”

Hotel Mume
Ranked #2 of 369 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
“Defining Service”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed 5 nights in this boutique hotel from Oct 27 - 31, 2013. While the hotel may easily be missed because of its tiny footprint on Shinmonzen Dori, the care they give their clients cannot be ignored. The general manager and all of the very pleasant staff were efficient but were always warm. They made sure to attend to your every need. If you ask for recommendations for a restaurant, they not only tell you but they also provide you a map, a picture of the restaurant frontage, make reservations, and call you a cab. When I advised them of my plans for the rest of my trip after Kyoto, they printed out information on my destination, the transportation options (with a recommendation for the best route, the specific trains,timetable, and cost, ), layout of the train stations, and even called to verify the schedules! They did not simply provide me the info but sat down with me to walk me through the whole route.

They have only 7 rooms and I had the pleasure of staying in two. The rooms were tastefully designed in a fusion of Asian and European styles. The end result was a cozy retreat which had personality and was very comfortable. Aside from the usual TV, refrigerator, and safe, the rooms I stayed in were appointed with a towel warmer, CD player, heater, and a dehumidifier. It also came with a selection of CDs and DVDs curated by the general manager. You can also have your choice of pillows ( down or tempur memory foam). The bathroom was equipped with a fully automated toilet which lifts the toilet seat as you approach it, is heated, has a bidet with variable temperature and pressure, and a deodorizing feature!

The hotel had a small kitchen which only allowed them to serve breakfast. The breakfast was normally comprised of hot soup (which featured a seasonal crop), an assortment of breads baked fresh daily which likewise showcased fruits, nuts, or vegetables, home made jams, fresh fruit in season, yoghurt, and your choice of hot beverage. Breakfast was very good but was even made more special as the dining room offers a very relaxing view of the Shirakawa river that runs by the hotel.

They also have a daily happy hour (5-7 pm) which allowed guests to partake in bar chow and a variety of complimentary libations which include single malts, sake, wine, and other premier liquors.

The location of the hotel is conducive to walking to the shopping district (Shijo Dori), restaurant areas of Ponto-cho and Kawaramachi Dori, and the historical district of Gion.

Overall, I was made to feel like a friend staying in a home, more than a guest in a typical hotel. It gave me another reason to return to Kyoto.

Room Tip: The "Flower" room is great for couples, a small family, or a group (3) of friends as it is...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Peewee L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Vietnamese first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My cousin and I spend wonderful days in Kyoto in mid oct. This boutique hotel was extraordinary in every aspect- from the elegance of the space,the comfortable stylish rooms,the great location on a quiet charming street, the incredible client service. We were provided intelligent advice with respect to every question we asked.

I have done a fair amount of consulting to luxury hotel brands. When I came back from my trip I told a VP of one much touted brand, that they could take a lesson in customer service from Mume. For example, the owner noticed I was having back pain- she not only walked me over to the pharmacy to help me buy pain meds, the next day she left me a large package of pain relievers in my room. She refused to allow me to pay for it.

I will definitely be going back again. My stay at the Mume was one of the my Japan trip highlights.

Barbara Moses

Room Tip: There is no fitness centre. The program would not allow me to leave it blank. All the rooms that I...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We spent three nights at Mume in September after it was recommended to us by two different groups of people. It was a delightful stay in every respect. The rooms were beautiful (ours could have only been enhanced by a window, but I understand this isn't possible for many inner city Kyoto buildings) and the toilet was hands down the best of all the crazy Japanese toilets we encountered - so many buttons!
Breakfasts were outstanding. Fresh juice, fruit, yoghurt, soup, delicious bread and pastries, home made jams. I'm salivating thinking about it. Likewise, the happy hour (free of charge) was generous and a nice way to unwind after being on our feet all day.
The service was Japanese perfection. In another country, you may think it over the top (e.g. the bowing as you enter the lift etc.), but I know this came from a place of warmth and hospitality.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Kyoto, which, incidentally, is an incredibly beautiful and historic city.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Okinawa, Japan
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Aisheteru I love the area and the people and atmosphere one of kyotos golden hotel. you will not be sorry.Impeccable, faultless, immaculate, perfection. Hidden behind the red door, this is probably the best boutique hotel experience in japan. Hisako, Miyuki and the others ensured that every detail of our stay in Kyoto was perfect. Breakfast is a ceremony, day plans are thoughtfully considered with suggestions, and dinner was outstanding.

you will love it there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Melbournian
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were only able to stay one night at Mume but Yoshie ensured we made the most our trip. She was incredibly helpful and helped us with dinner reservations and onward travel. Thank you so much Yoshie, you are a national treasure!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Menlo Park, CA
Reviewed October 30, 2013

All the reviews are right, this little hotel can't be beat. It has the best location (in Gion, not far from the Gion-Shijo and Sanjo-Keihan stations, and all the Higashiyama temples), the best staff (who really go out of their way to make you feel at home), the best breakfast (with fruit, home-made yogurt, home-made soup, boiled egg, juice, home-made jams, and delicious pastry), the best restaurant recommendations (in Gion - places you would never find on your own), and lovely, immaculate, well-equipped rooms. And the price is comparable with the well-known hotels.

There are only 7 rooms in this tiny hotel. I believe that 3 of these are small, perhaps only suitable for only one person. The hotel sits right by the Shirakawa river (creek), which traverses the most beautiful parts of Gion (IMO).

When you come back to the hotel after dinner, or after touring, you are greeted with "welcome home". That's it the way it is with the Hotel Mume. We hated to leave.

We plan to return to Kyoto, and we'll never stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Book as early as possible. We had the Wind room and were quite pleased with it.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wobbs1
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Impeccable, faultless, immaculate, perfection. Hidden behind the red door, this is probably the best boutique hotel experience in japan. Hisako, Miyuki and the others ensured that every detail of our stay in Kyoto was perfect. Breakfast is a ceremony, day plans are thoughtfully considered with suggestions, and dinner bookings are accompanied by a photo of the restaurant doorway so you don't get lost. The happy hour is a great way to relax after a day of sightseeing and revive you for dinner. This is great value and a haven for travellers.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family