“Quirky little gem of a place - great food, fantastic drinks & the owner is a sweetheart”
Review of El Latino

El Latino
Ranked #1,227 of 16,175 Restaurants in Kyoto
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican, South American, Central American
Neighborhood: City Center
Neighborhood: City Center
Reviewed April 22, 2018

We had a wonderful evening at El Latino. The food (though not an extensive menu) was absolutely delicious. The drinks were fantastic, I had the house red wine which was great and my husband drank tequila. The owner makes the place - an interesting man and beautiful soul. We would definitely return - a memorable evening.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed May 4, 2017

Frankly, I'd be happy if all the Mexican restaurants in Kyoto stayed in business, but I have to say that this one was sub-par. I might not post reviews on all of them, but I try to get out to every Mexican (Central / South American / Tex-Mex / So-Cal/ Cal-Mex) place I can find, and finally got around to this one. The decor was nice, enchiladas not so good, and the tacos not quite there. The guacamole was nicely presented in the avocado (yes, small portions), but unlike some other shops, the chips and tortillas are not house made. I'm afraid that, unless you're really bent of having Mexican, you're better off at the Indian curry, Italian pasta, or the Chinese food in the same building, or better yet, Arash Kitchen that's kitty-corner, or even (for lunch) the buffet at the Kyoto Handicraft Center that's just down the block--all about the same price.

I don't purport to be an expert, just grew up eating lots of good Cal-Mex food in the San Francisco Mission district. And I know it sounds snobby, but I have to say that in general, the worst Mission Mex is still better than the best Kyoto Mex (just like the worst Kyoto Japanese food is still better than any I've had in the US). That said, I've had a lot better Mexican in Kyoto and Osaka, so I'd skip this one unless you're in the area and dying for some tacos.

Date of visit: May 2017
2  Thank joseph_sorensen
Reviewed March 29, 2017

I know while in Kyoto you should be eating Japanese Kaiseki, but sometimes all you want is some good Mexican food. We found this little place using Trip Advisor. It's a bit out of the way, not too hard to find, but it is on the basement level of a building and down the hall, so keep your eyes out.
We got margaritas, Nachos and Guac, and Enchiladas. The drinks were quite strong, but we love Tequila, so it wasn't exactly a negative. The guacamole was fantastic, and we enjoyed our enchiladas. The atmosphere was comfortable and funky, and the staff are very friendly. In addition, the restaurant was very affordable!

Date of visit: March 2017
2  Thank KelseyFast
Reviewed March 19, 2017 via mobile

This place is worth a visit. It's not a Michelin style place but it has spirit and authenticity!
Nice

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed January 31, 2017 via mobile

Found this little Mexican restaurant one night when we we wandering about. Walked in to be greeted very friendly. Food was cheap and very good! Bourbons were strong! Worth the stop for dinner

Date of visit: January 2017