“Friendly hosts and awesome food”
Review of El Latino

El Latino
Ranked #1,111 of 12,507 Restaurants in Kyoto
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican, South American, Central American
Neighborhood: City Center
Neighborhood: City Center
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

The couple who run this place are warm and make you feel welcome. It helps that they have lived in the Americas and speak English too. We are vegetarians and found plenty of options, all made well. Guacamole, margaritas, mojitos, and food all so well done!
Was difficult to find, but what a find!
Will visit it everytime I'm here in Kyoto.

1  Thank Raqarun

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We found ourselves in Japan on Cinco De Mayo and were homesick for some Mexican food. We searched and this is the only place we found in Kyoto open. We found it on a quiet residential street and arrived at around 4pm to start the celebration with some margaritas! Unfortunately, the sign in front said they didn't open until 5pm. We decided to hang around until they opened. Well, that didn't happen until around 530pm. Once we got inside, the atmosphere was a cool dive bar feel. The greeter/waiter/ bartender/cook/busboy was very friendly and helpful. The margaritas were tequila with a little bit of lime juice squeezed in, basically a glass of tequila! The food was not really what I would describe as good Mexican food, but after having nothing but Japanese cuisine for days, it was a welcome change.

2  Thank Tom W
Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

Outstanding ambience coupled with melt-in-your-mouth "Japanese-Mexican" cuisine. The attentive staff and strong, artfully blended drinks perfectly rounded off this phenomenal dining experience. 5 stars.

Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Great fresh food at great price. Excellent friendly service, owner and chef has good English, menu is large & cocktails are strong!

----- be careful using don't use map on website to find the place. Use proper street directory/ map and match shrines and street names. Map on website is very off scale and missing important details

1  Thank HollyShanahan
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is probably the best Mexican food in Japan, but, honestly, unless they've completely changed the menu and recipes, it is, my FAVORITE MEXICAN FOOD RESTAURANT IN THE WORLD (and I've tried hundreds).
I'm not sure if I should even be writing this review because it has been quite awhile since I last frequented El Latino. When I lived in Kyoto, I was going there a couple of times a month. It had World's BEST fresh salsa, best quesadillas (pay the extra to get the guacamole for the magic to happen), and best margaritas (omg!) I've ever tasted in my life. And I've lived in Texas, Arizona & California, so I'm a Mexican food addict.