“Excellent little Mexican oasis amongst dainty area of Kyoto. DON'T USE MAP & DIRECTIONS FROM WEBSITE”
Review of El Latino

El Latino
Ranked #973 of 13,788 Restaurants in Kyoto
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican, South American, Central American
Neighborhood: City Center
Neighborhood: City Center
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Great fresh food at great price. Excellent friendly service, owner and chef has good English, menu is large & cocktails are strong!

----- be careful using don't use map on website to find the place. Use proper street directory/ map and match shrines and street names. Map on website is very off scale and missing important details

1  Thank HollyShanahan

Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is probably the best Mexican food in Japan, but, honestly, unless they've completely changed the menu and recipes, it is, my FAVORITE MEXICAN FOOD RESTAURANT IN THE WORLD (and I've tried hundreds).
I'm not sure if I should even be writing this review because it has been quite awhile since I last frequented El Latino. When I lived in Kyoto, I was going there a couple of times a month. It had World's BEST fresh salsa, best quesadillas (pay the extra to get the guacamole for the magic to happen), and best margaritas (omg!) I've ever tasted in my life. And I've lived in Texas, Arizona & California, so I'm a Mexican food addict.

Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Our guide book tipped us off to this place. The outside looks sketchy - in America i would certainly call this a dive bar. However, they had great guac and salsa just when we needed it. Tacos were great too. Decor was amusing - lots of pictures dating back 15-20 years.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Pros: Excellent guacamole and mojitos. Enchiladas and quesadillas were excellent too! Fun dive-ish atmosphere with cool owners.
Cons: Not quite enough cheese on nachos.

1  Thank Cdn_nomad83
Reviewed October 15, 2009

We visited a couple of times in May 2009.
This restaurant is a bit difficult to find as it's in a shopping arcade on a quiet street. The owner lived in Mexico for several years and the restaurant is decorated with things he brought back.
The staff are very welcoming and some speak English and Spanish. Mexican style food is served, with almost every dish available in chicken, beef or vegetarian options. The margaritas are excellent.

2  Thank Juderino