“Manga Magic?” 3 of 5 bubbles

128 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“Manga Magic?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

After having doubt whether the manga museum at Kyoto station was open or not, we decided not to waste any time and head straight to the International Manga Museum. This place is huge and is piled high with every manga book you can imagine, not much else to see or do though. If you get the choice chose the day you visit carefully and there may be a 'special event' or a manga artist in residence. For all you 'die-hard' manga fans it's a must visit, if like us you have moderate interest and are curious, then may be not worthy of a visit as it's just like an over sized library. If you feel the need to go then 1-2 hours is plenty,

Access is from Karasuma-Oike station, followed by a short 3-4 minute walk, entrance fee 800 yen.

Visited June 2013

• Thai first
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Worth a look if your nearby”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

I can't read Japanese but I did have a good time looking around, there was a very talented artist there that drew a manga style picture of my wife and I for about 1800YEN which is my favorite thing I bought in all of Japan.

Visited June 2013
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Not that good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I'm not really a manga fan but I like museums, galleries, graphic novels and learning about other cultures. If the museum was free to enter I'd say go along, it's ok for a look around but since it's one of the most expensive sights in Kyoto I'd strongly urge you to give it a miss! Such a shame, while the exhibitions were ok I had expected so much more and left deflated with no further knowledge of manga than when I entered!

Visited May 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 198 helpful votes
“A must for Manga lovers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

The entire building is so unique and spacey that you might spend whole day here. This museum building is used to be a local school and that is why there are many rooms with full of Manga things and clean and large toilet at each floor. There are always interesting special exhibitions but the most fascinating part of the museum are these many rooms / libraries filled with manga books, where you can even take an afternoon nap reading mangas. Unfortunately most of the manga books are in Japanese but looking at these manga pictures produced by various artists are highly interesting. We visted this cool musem on our way to Nijo Castle.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank VincentePaulo
Shanghai, China
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Very disappointing for me and my kid”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I went to this museum for 2 reasons: I really like comic books and manga + my 5 y.o daughter was with me and she s also a fan)
My guide indicated a children drawing workshop but it was only japanese speaking so she didn t participate. She was bored most of the time we spent there, except from the small show with a story teller (but once again, in japanese) and despite the kids library

Most of the museum is a library where you can read manga but there are very few art pieces presented

No audio guide but no need as there s so little to see

Only go there if you can read japanese, when it rains and when you really have nothing left to visit

Visited April 2013