“Service and Attention to Detail”

Kyoto Higashiyamaso
Ranked #167 of 373 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Columbus, Ohio
“Service and Attention to Detail”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

A memorable part of my trip to Japan that proved to be fun was the decision to stay in a traditional Japanese inn called a “Ryokan.” Having saved quite a bit of money staying with friends in Tokyo for two nights, I decided to spend a little bit extra than I normally would have to stay experience the flip-side to my Capsule Value Kanda Hotel experience. Again using Agoda, I was able to find a room at a nice inn near Kyoto Station for a little less than $100. The only downside to using this site has been that in order to get the low listed prices, you have to agree to non-refundable reservations. While it can be helpful in determining the overall vacancies of any particular destination and can spare you getting shut out, the trade-off is giving up some of the above-mentioned flexibility for price. The lodging experience ultimately proved to be highly unique, albeit one that put my patience and positive vacation vibe to the test.

The grounds, room, and other facilities were immaculate in every way and every detail was thoughtfully considered. Having traditional Japanese tea after another great scrub and soak, on the bedding of the floor of my room, while dressed in the provided Yakata robe, was an immersive cultural experience well worth the extra cost of the room.

However, perhaps beyond the control of the staff, was an emergency, late-night road construction going on until 3 am right outside my window. After a few trips down to the front dest to inquire (complain) about all the noise, I finally turned to my Lonely Planet phrase book and found the Japanese word for refund, which is “haraimodoshi,” (払い戻し).

Not only did this clearly outline my frustration and disappointment at the digging activity ruining my otherwise peaceful stay, it quickly got the construction halted once and for all. The following morning at checkout, the entire staff was extremely nervous and apologetic as they read to me a prepared (add sweetly rehearsed) statement in English explaining that my booking would be cancelled through Agoda and the room charges reversed. Given the fact that my phrase book was purchased (used) in Seoul for less than 5 bucks, it more than paid for itself in just one usage – and for just one word!

The service of the staff and their attention to the little details make this a Ryokan I would stay at again and highly recommend to other travelers. The location was terrific and Kyoto is an amazing destination.

Room Tip: If you happen to notice construction in the area, ask for a room away from the main alley leading up...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank TheRockTraveler

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Very nice location, close to kiomizu temple, the 3rd floor room can see the 八重塔。 the staff are very helpful, they even dressed me up with my yokata! Rooms are more spacious than I thought with a nice balcony.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank YangXY
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel during my trip to Kyoto. The location of the hotel is excellent. It is in a walking distance from Kiyamizu-Dera and Yasaka Pagoda. There are some amazing steep winding narrow streets with adjacent gift shops and restaurants near this hotel. It is a perfect location for taking a stroll and checking out these streets. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Some of the staff also spoke English and that was very helpful. The bath is shared but it is a very clean place. The hotel is also very inexpensive. I spent only $80 per night and that included a traditional Japanese breakfast which was a treat.
BTW, I booked my hotel using the following link: http://web.travel.rakuten.co.jp/portal/my/info_page_e.Eng?f_no=72786
I got the best deal through this website.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo