“Miniature rooms! Airplane styled toilet”

Super Hotel Kyoto Shijokawaramachi
Ranked #76 of 374 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Location, is good, yes as described. In the shopping district and walking distance to two train stations of different lines. However, the hotel is sure hard to find! I asked a local for directions and omg he was so nice and friendly but he could hardly speak english. We walked about 1 KM with our heavy luggage (so it seemed like 10km) and when we arrived we realised it was the wrong hotel! Took us about an hour to find it and to my dismay we had walked past it way earlier. There are no signs from the main road which direction it's in. We entered from a small road opposite Takashimaya close to a cross junction. Walk about 100 metres straight and we finally got to the hotel.

Check in was fast. But the room is just too small! The toilet reminds me when i'm in an airplane where almost everything is made in plastic. And the free WIFI at the lobby, sometimes it works, but when there is too many people in the lobby all using their phones, don't expect it to work no matter how many times you try. Plus the wifi stops after the check in counter closes after midnight.

But what really pissed me off, is the next morning at 10 am, when i heard knocks on the door, next thing i knew as i got out of the bed is the housekeeping lady in the room. Wow, thats like a big NO-NO. My partner was still in bed. Stunned, we packed our luggage quickly and left.

That was a bad experience maybe for me. I would try somewhere else next time i come though this is value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the city
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mahfreakinlaif
There are newer reviews for Super Hotel Kyoto Shijokawaramachi

Reviewed February 12, 2013

The hotel room is clean.
You can enjoy hot spring bath.
Breakfast is good.
Location is good,
because the hotel is near from
Keihan Train(from Osaka) and downtown.
But the drawback is the room and shower room is too tiny.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Following tips from some of the TripAdvisors, I get a friend who read Japanese to help me book the room through the Japanese Website, it saves me loads of money as I was able to get a good rate.

The location of the hotel was superb. I did not realize it till I arrives there. It was just next to Potoncho, Nishiki and Malls and all the High Street Boutique brands such as LV, etc. It was also a short walk away from Gion. It was easy to access the Shijo Gion subway Station and Kawaramachi subway Station. Everything was just within a couple of blocks walk.

This is the first time I stayed at a Super chain hotel and the concept blew my mind. This hotel is huge, but has the least staff to run it. No door man, no restaurant nor all those labor intensive services. Instead, there is a cafeteria where vending machines serves hot and cold drinks all day long. No bar, but the vending machines provided an assorted brands for your choosing. The checkin counter does not accept cash, for cash payment, there is an ATM like machine that will accept the cash payment and provide the 6 digit room code. Yes, no room Keys, you key in your code in the keypad to enter the room and also to access the hotel at closing times (no door man).

There is an Onsen/Hot Bath next to the lobby. This was great after a long day walking and it helps to relax the body. This onsen has alternate male and female time. There are 3 computers at the cafeteria free to use and a printer, but you will have to purchase papers from the reception. There were LAN lines in the Room, but Wifi only available at the lobby.

The unique feature of this hotel is the availability of different types of pillow or different pillow hardness. You can select your pillow before you go up to your room. You can grab a pajamas there as well. Check in Early to get your choice of pillow.

2 of the 4 drinks vending machines are made free during breakfast time. The free breakfast consist of an assorted types of croissant, Inari Sushi, salads, and different types of Eggs and Meat. The eggs and meat changes in styles everyday.

I would stay back at this hotel in my next Kyoto trip.

Room Tip: 1. Ask for your friend who read Japanese to help book, the Japanese website has much better rates th...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank KewLAng
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This hotel chain seems to be locally popular, since there are many locals and business people stay here overnight too. The best part is the location, right in the central shopping, nightlife, and eating area of Kyoto, so it's really hard to beat. Notice that it locates behind OPA shopping mall, so if you take a cab so tells them to goto OPA. Another best part is breakfast is included, it has a fine varieties of food, but with short breakfast hours 7-9 a.m., so you must be quicked. The room itself is really basic, small, just to sleep or a short break from whole day excursion is fine. The public bath functions really well, we end up using it every day since our own bathroom in the room is so small. Definitely should not miss this place for any budget travellers.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My first experience with this sort of bargain hotel. The room is expectedly small and the bathroom is like a mini capsule of contraptions. The mattress is very hard which I presume is great for our backs. I only stayed for one night but I will totally recommend this place, it broke my perception that Japan is all too expensive

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rubiyem
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The price was the cheapest of all of all of the hotels I stayed in during my two weeks traveling around Japan. This was recommended to me by my friend, who lived in Kyoto. The location is excellent. Walk out the front door of the hotel, and you are right in the middle of all of the shopping in the Shijo area. Free breakfast, free (wired) internet, clean comfortable rooms, freebies for the ladies, and pick your own pillow. My only regret was not staying longer at this hotel. By the way, there are buses that go right to Kyoto Station on the main street, which is a super short walk outside the hotel. Much cheaper than taking a cab.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mike D
Reviewed June 8, 2012

This is a very well located hotel, within the area of Shijokawaramachi, veryyyyy close to Nikishi (Japanese traditional) market). The only annoying thing is, if you want your room to be cleaned by the hotel staff, you must stay out until 3 pm.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family