Only stayed for a night here, but it wasn't my first trip to Kyoto.
First with the good:
+ The staff are fantastic!! I arrived on Friday morning & quickly realised I'd left my phone charger back home in Sydney. The staff gave me the locations of 3 nearby electronics shops that might be able to help me out. They were also great with giving suggestions for places to visit, seeing as I couldn't check in right away. They even helped me arrange having my luggage forwarded to Tokyo.
+ Location. It's in a quieter part of Kyoto, however it's proximity to the station & bus terminal is great. Seriously just a 5-10 minute walk from the airport bus stop, the Kyoto JR Line & the Kyoto city bus terminal, as well as the various subways & other train lines. Couldn't ask for anything more.
+ Recently renovated. The place feels really new, the rooms are all done up well.
+ Wifi throughout.
There were some bad points (these may just be personal, but hey ...)
- No elevator. I had a single room on the 5th (top) floor & had to lug my suitcase all the way up & down all 5 floors. Was a great workout, but if you're planning to pack heavy, maybe request a room on a lower level if possible.
- Recently renovated. It's good, but also the fact that my room smelt of paint fumes as soon as I opened the door made wasn't the best.
- Room was very small, even by Japanese standards.
All in all the positives outweigh the negatives greatly for mine. Would definitely recommend staying here during any visit of Kyoto.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The first J-Hoppers guesthouse in Kyoto of Japan was founded by a trans-continental motorcyclist in 2002. It's an 8 minute walk from JR Kyoto Station. There are many important historical sites such as Toji Temple or Fushimi-Inari Shrine. The nearest bus stop is right in front of this hostel , which is on the quite convenitnt bus route to access to other major sights such as Kinkakuji, Kiyomizudera or Gion. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Hotwire, Priceline, HostelWorld, Ctrip TA, Rakuten and Travelocity so you can book your J-Hoppers Kyoto Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.