“Great base in Kyoto”

J-Hoppers Kyoto Guesthouse
Ranked #33 of 406 Specialty lodging in Kyoto
Reviewed February 9, 2011

Only stayed for a night here, but it wasn't my first trip to Kyoto.

First with the good:
+ The staff are fantastic!! I arrived on Friday morning & quickly realised I'd left my phone charger back home in Sydney. The staff gave me the locations of 3 nearby electronics shops that might be able to help me out. They were also great with giving suggestions for places to visit, seeing as I couldn't check in right away. They even helped me arrange having my luggage forwarded to Tokyo.
+ Location. It's in a quieter part of Kyoto, however it's proximity to the station & bus terminal is great. Seriously just a 5-10 minute walk from the airport bus stop, the Kyoto JR Line & the Kyoto city bus terminal, as well as the various subways & other train lines. Couldn't ask for anything more.
+ Recently renovated. The place feels really new, the rooms are all done up well.
+ Wifi throughout.

There were some bad points (these may just be personal, but hey ...)
- No elevator. I had a single room on the 5th (top) floor & had to lug my suitcase all the way up & down all 5 floors. Was a great workout, but if you're planning to pack heavy, maybe request a room on a lower level if possible.
- Recently renovated. It's good, but also the fact that my room smelt of paint fumes as soon as I opened the door made wasn't the best.
- Room was very small, even by Japanese standards.

All in all the positives outweigh the negatives greatly for mine. Would definitely recommend staying here during any visit of Kyoto.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed December 31, 2010

i simply loved the kyoto j-hoppers hostel. it was clean, and so japanese. friendly helpful front desk staff, who spoke excellent english. an easy 10 minute walk from kyoto station. central location to base my day trips from. i saw amazing temples, a river walk with cranes and lovely trees, and the best of all was the geisha district. i love japan, and i will always choose to stay at the j-hoppers hostels. they are the best value for money. my japanese style single room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. sugoii! (awesome!!) i recommend the single japanese style room for it's character, and it was so quiet and private. it was on the top floor, and there is no elevator, but that didn't worry me.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 20, 2010

J-Hoppers Kyoto is nice enough. It's quite far from the station (30 minutes on foot) but not too far from a subway station on one of the two subway lines in Kyoto.

The staff are helpful and friendly and know a lot about the sights in Kyoto and how to get to them. The rooms are nice, not too small and the place is clean.

Be sure to rent a bike from the hostel. Like I said, there are only two subway lines and most of the sites are not close to any of the stations. There are buses, but they get stuck in traffic. I managed to see two temples in five hours, it was terrible. ><

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 14, 2010

This place is great! Location is plus number one. It's about a 10 minute walk from the JR Kyoto Station, from where you can take buses which run all over the sites in Kyoto. As it's located on a large street, there are also buses which run right in front of the building. You can even walk to Fushimi Inari Shrine, which was in the film Memoirs of a Geisha. It doesn't close, so if you're a night owl like me, something to do after 10pm is welcome!
Plus number two is the staff! They asked what we planned on doing, and then pulled out a map and started pointing things out for us. All with all the J-Hoppers I've been to, this place is clean! Shoes are left outside and it's socks or indoor slippers inside. I saw cleaning people every morning working on the bathroom. There's also free coffee or tea that you can help yourself to. This was my favorite place to stay during my travels to Japan.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2010

I only stayed one night but had a great experience. The front desk was extremely helpful and spoke English. The lobby was filled with information on EVERYTHING to do in Kyoto and surrounding day trips. There was one computer in the lobby the charged a nominal fee for usage. The hostel was a 10 min walk from the train and bus station. The bus stop down the street takes you to many of the major sights. The bathroom and dorms were very clean. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 2, 2009

The hostel itself was fairly basic with a small kitchen and comfortable lounge upstairs. Both the kitchen and the bathrooms/shower rooms were spotless, I could swear I saw a women clean the bathroom each time someone use it! We were in an 8 share dorm which was comfortable enough and had nice privacy curtains around the beds but the closet was very small and there wasn't much space to put our bags, particularly as we had top bunks the bottom bunks were on the floor (so there was no under-the-bed space).

The place itself was lovely and comfortable but I have to say that the staff went above and beyond to make our trip enjoyable. Everything from making suggestions to giving directions and lending us guidebooks, they were happy to help. They were kind and patient and truly made us feel like guests in their hostel - I would recommend this place...we've been traveling for 6 months so far and this is among the nicest places we've stayed!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Keshira haLev F
Reviewed May 10, 2009

I stayed at the J-hoppers Hostel twice, both times in the shared room for women. It´s pretty close to the main station and very helpful for travellers who don´t speak Japanese or are familiar with the city. I was really impressed how clean the shared bathrooms were - the first time I stayed there I actally thought it was all brand new and therefore clean. But the second time (about half a year later) it was still the same - a real plaesure! A good place to meet other travellers as well. Bikes can be rent which is convienient in a small city like Kyoto.
All in all the J-Hoppers is my favourite hostel in Japan!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business