Salon Haraguchi Tenseian
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Kyoto
See available hotels
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
Gion Hatanaka(Kyoto)
Awatasanso(Kyoto)
Ryugin(Kyoto)
View Hotel
All reviewsmr haraguchiharaguchi sangolden templebamboo foresttraditional japanese homerestaurant advicetemple bellsjapanese apartmentbus stopresidential neighborhoodgojo dorigion districtair conditionhigashiyama areakyoto attractionsa wonderful staytatami mats
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We now have a love affair with Kyoto!!!! A huge part of our amazing holiday there is definitely due to Mr Haraguchi and his fabulous house in Gion. There is something really magical about this house and Mr Haraguchi is so welcoming, friendly and knowledgeable.We ate at the restaurants that he recommended most nights and without fail they were amazing. They have bicycles at the house, free to use at your leisure, which again added to our fantastic Kyoto stay. The last few reviews are on the money. Sure there are slightly cheaper places to stay in Kyoto but you will not regret spending an extra few dollars if you you would prefer a more intrinsic experience. A huge thank you to Mr Haraguchi.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smudge142
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I'm no good with words but I think it's worth to share our best stay experience in Kyoto for other travellers. We (a group of 4) stayed at the Tenseian at the beginning of april 2013 and we don't regret it a bit. We had the whole house for us (the policy of Mr. Haraguchi) and it couldn't have been any better. The house is full of characteristics, everything arranged by Mr. Haraguchi himself and all is functioning well. Now, the location is just a 10 mins walk from Gion. The view along the way from Gion is breathtaking. Well, so did the walk, as it was an uphill walk, but it was just fun! The sleep was comfortable, rooms are big, with cherry blossoms view from the upper room window.
The raves from other reviewers were all true 100%. We just don't think we could've found a host better than him. He often offered us to take our luggages (4 of them) from our previous accomodation, with this own private car!! With this car, he also brought us to his studio where he created his magnificent works and showed us some of his masterpieces. He helped us book one of our best lunch in a 2-star michelin restaurant in Kyoto. I'm running out of words of praise :) I don't know about your stay preference when travelling but it did not fail us.

Room Tip: No bad rooms. All are good. Hey, you have the whole house for yourself!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank hiong
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My family (my husband and i, kids aged 7 and 3) booked tenseian after searching tripadvisor, for our first trip to Kyoto. We didn't know exactly what to expect, even after reading the reviews. What we saw was enchanting.
The home is 100 years old and is at the edge of a lovely park filled with cherry blossoms at this time of year. We expected it to be in an isolated place, but it is near a few other ryokans and feels absolutely safe.
We arrived at past 10 in the evening and Mr. Haraguchi was there to welcome us, give us the keys and bring us quickly around. It is not a hotel. It is a local home. No meals are prepared or served, there is no housekeeping. The house will be turned over to you and you're on your own. Mr Haraguchi got for us some bread and had coffee and tea stocked up. Our beds were laid out on tatami mats in the second floor.
The house has a charm that is hard to explain, and to have the house all to yourself gave our family a wonderful privacy and oneness with nature. Our favorite time was in the morning, with the kids asleep sipping our coffee in front of the house with the cherry blossoms in front of us.
The house has its cons, don't get me wrong. The bathroom and kitchen could use some more cleaning and upgrade. The toilet was in the second floor and the tub and shower were in the first floor. That was a bit of a challenge even with the high tech toilets in Japan. Our luggage was in the first floor away from our bedroom. Also, you need to be moderately physically fit to walk to the house from the park.
And yet with all that, the cons couldn't affect our fond experience and memories of the place. Mr Haraguchi was kind enough to drive us around for 2 hours on our second day to show us the sights and sounds. He gave us advise on where to go, eat, shop. And if you're lucky, like we were, we got to buy a few pieces of his works. He is truly an artist.
If you want to have a unique kyoto experience like a local and near the gion district, choose this over the other places.

Room Tip: Best time to go is end march to April for cherry blossoms and second week of November for autumn leaves.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank javemar
Reviewed March 23, 2013

One wonders how Mr Haraguchi-san can possibly be such a fantastic host. Genuine caring attitude. We do not forget him right away. Read the previous reviews, all true.
One has the entire house at disposal. This is an independent house (not attached to other buildings). All equipment working very well. Tatami rooms.
Located right by Gion district.
Located in Maruyama Park, very pleasant. That park contains a significant Shinto shrine, which adds to it interest, especially at night (lighted by lanterns).
Mr Haraguchi instructed me to hire a cab from Kyoto station, and to ask the driver to call him on his cell phone. He gave the instructions so that the driver finds the house.
The park in on a hillside. This has implication about the physical fitness of the visitor. You don’t need to be an athlete, but this is not really suitable for someone with physical disability. I will explain.
There is usually a taxi waiting for customers in the park, about 2 minutes from the house. That is very handy when you depart from the house. For the return to the house, I don’t believe I would’ve been able to explain to the cab driver how to find the house (their mastery of English or my fluency in Japanese would not have allowed, so I did not even try). This means that you cross the premises of the Shrine , and then the Maruyama Park, uphill, to reach the house. Roughly 5-8 minutes. No problem for most travelers, but this is not the usual hotel entrance. For me, the walk in the charming park was a bonus. I am mentioning this to make travelers with mobility limitations aware.
This is self-catering, so you organise your own breakfast.
I can only mention the price that was applying to a solo traveler: 9 000 yen per night. I don’t know what the arrangement would be for couple or with children.
Please take this as only a clue, because arrangements could vary according to time of rent, duration of stay, etc.
There is something North Americans need to know about traditional Japanese houses: there is no central heating system. This is normal in Japan, and the normal way of life for the average citizen. They usually have a bath before they go to bed. North Americans usually take a shower in the morning. For me, the result of this cultural difference is that mornings in the house were very cold, in March, especially for washing time. I am mentioning this in case it is your first time in Japan. Otherwise, this is not an abnormality of that house. Once you get under the hot water of the shower, the problem is solved.
I will stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank 88puffin
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Mr Haraguchi is the real deal! The place is set atop the hill overlooking the city. It's right in the middle of the Gion temple complex and an easy walk to the old school district. Great service with local restaurant hints and Geisha spotting tips. Highly recommended, we'll be staying again!!

• Stayed: January 2013