“Japanese Style!!!”

Ranked #57 of 366 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Kandahar, Afghanistan
“Japanese Style!!!”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I am late on writing this review..but I had to mention this place. It was GREAT. We stayed in the Japanese Style Room. We enjoyed our stay here. It is not on a major road but is withing walking distance to many great sites. After spending time here on our tour around Japan our only regret is not staying at this location longer. You will not be disappointed staying in this Ryokan, especially if you compare it to the prices of others in the area.
The staff was very friendly and helpful, the washer and dryer downstairs came in very handy.
The room was open and spacious enough for the two of us...now the bathroom..haha is very small but this is common from what I have seen in Japan, they do not waste space!!! I would recommend this place to my family and friends!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Japanese style room only so I cannot comment on what the western rooms are like.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bobby C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
La Jolla, California
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We got a great deal at this hotel and ended up staying in Kyoto an extra 3 days because the hotel and area was so awesome. They have both Japanese and Western style rooms and it was real treat to stay in a Japanese style room with futons and very minimalist design. We stayed at many places much more expensive than this throughout Japan but this hotel had the best service of any of them.

It really feels like a travelers hotel. There are very many friendly travelers that spend time in the lobby chatting, reading and browsing the internet as there is free WIFI. Every morning the staff took the time to help us plan our day out and to recommend good things to do.

This is one of the best places I have ever stayed at and I travel about 50% of the year. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The Japanese style rooms are preferable but if you are tall you may want to avoid it as the doorways...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank tubetop
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This Ryokan was perfect. Not far from the main station, the staff was extremely helpful and so pleasant, spoke perfect English too. We stayed in a Japanese style room which was Devine. We stayed for 3 nights and definitely recommend to anyone to stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Balu83
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Stayed here in a small single room.

Location:
Located on a small street about two blocks from the main street.
It's not very close to the train station, about 15 minutes walk away.
It is very quiet though.

Room:
Small ryokan room with a tiny bathroom that overlooked the street.
No real amenities other than a water heating pot.
At night, spread the futon onto the floor and start snoring away!
Surprisingly comfortable.

Staff:
Friendly staff that spoke good English.
The guy was a bit reserved but he was friendly enough to tell me how to get around to various places.

Overall:
Would definitely stay here again as it is very good value and clean.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Ronnie A
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed here for about 5 nights - I was in a single Japanese-style room, and it was lovely. Cleaned every day with a linen change every other day. They had comfy yukata that I wore every evening. Lots of hot water in the morning. I asked for an extra mat and they ran it up to my room for me. There is wifi in the reception/dining area only, but when they noticed my friends and I were spending a lot of time down there with our phones, they gave us a free wireless router for our rooms. They ran a "flowing noodle" night where you catch noodles with chopsticks in a bamboo chute. The ryokan is on a little quiet side-street so it is a bit hard to find, and took us about 10-12 mins to walk to Kyoto station. The only critique I would give is that the Western-style breakfast was pretty much the same every morning - could have used a bit of variation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank amska1
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed June 14, 2012

We stayed in a western style room for 5 nights and I'm really glad we choose that room. They do have ryokan rooms as well but I don't think our backs would handle a futon more than one night. Breakfast was really good the first days but the lack of choises made it boring after a while. Do try the Japanese style breakfast at least once. As a European, salmon and rice in the morning is really hard to get my stomage to agree with. The staff is great and they are really helpfully in every way possible. A bit overpriced but still a good hotel

• Stayed June 2012
uk
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed in a western room-clean, smallish...inroom kettle etc... ( bring your own tea/coffee- only green tea available).small fridge, and a 'capsule' shower/toilet.. Very helpful staff, with good advice re eateries.. if you print the map from their web site, easy to find- a 10min walk from the station..

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple