All reviews apple tv gion shijo superior king great location rooms are small decent shower public bath modern japanese design free coffee all day yakitori lovely little hotel onsen downstairs japanese options pocket wifi coin laundry breakfast area main shopping street
Reviewed April 6, 2018 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Kyoto Granbell. We had stayed at the Akasaka granbell in Tokyo which was good, but this was so next level up. New hotel, great location in Gion. Just around the corner from the Main Street. Lots of good food around. The hotel itself have wonderful staff and so helpful and friendly. The amenities are great with extra touch of coffee in the lobby and water for free in rooms. The hot baths were relaxing after a long day of walking. Breakfast was good with good selection or western and Japanese food.we loved it here and wish we had stayed an extra couple of nights instead of moving on. Beds were comfortable but the pillows were hard. Only downside is they need soft pillows. But overall we enjoyed our stay here.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2018

Had a very pleasant 5-night stay at Kyoto Granbell. The hotel has been open for less than a year so everything is shiny and new. Had a Japanese-style Moderate Double room, which was much cosier than I had imagined from the pictures but worked just fine for two people. Bathroom is also quiet small and not a lot of room to store your toiletries due to the shallow shelf (no counter in the room). Room was on the second floor facing the main street and I was concerned at first with the amount of noise we would be hearing as the street is fairly well trafficked, however, it was relatively quiet especially at night. Bottled water is provided even though the tap water was fine. Kettle in the room for making tea, but no in-room coffee, instead there is a machine that uses real beans in the lobby

Really enjoyed the convenient location - close to a lot of attractions and the Gion Station for places further afield. The public bath was really nice for soaking after a day of walking around the city. Coin-op laundry in the basement was a pleasant surprise -instructions in English, reasonable prices (400 yen to wash and dry my clothes from the week prior; drier required a few cycles) and laundry soap available at the front desk. The staff were always cheerful and greeted you upon arrival. Only minus was the breakfast, while there is a nice selection the hot foods were not hot. Not sure I would have paid for the breakfast if it had not already been included in the rate I booked. Would definitely stay here again though.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2018

The room was the smallest we had in Japan. Beds were firm and it took quite a while to warm up the room. With that said, it had interesting charm of modern and classic Japan. The breakfast had great variety. Location is fantastic, quite close to Gion district, easy walk to Nishiki Market.

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank CB1020
Reviewed March 30, 2018 via mobile

We used the service of Bebot live chat guide tonight to find a restaurant I messaged at 40 mins before we wanted to eat and the service was excellent. They reserved a table for us and sent a link af how to get there. Highly recommend the service.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
6  Thank Libby D
Reviewed March 27, 2018

I am staying in this hotel and I asked the hotel to book a restaurant for me, it is now 6 days and I am not receiving any confirmation that it has been booked or not, and this is after sending 3-4 e mails to remind them. Now if the restaurant had a website or e mail I would have done it myself, but it only has a Japanese phone number and really it is quite easy for them to just call and make a booking for guests. I also do not speak Japanese, so this was also why I am asking for their help.

I am highly suspicious a lot of the positive reviews here are fake, how can a hotel that refuses to respond positively to such a simple request have such a high status? You would think as soon as you send a reminder, they would respond, but they do not.

If a hotel won't even help you to book a restaurant, I really think I am going to have a difficult time staying in this hotel in my upcoming trip. I made a mistake to do a non refundable booking so I am stuck with it, but I hope my experience would help others not to make the same mistake.

It seems to me Japan really isn't that polite as people make it out to be, there is a distinct air of insincerity about this hotel, I also noticed that the hotel does not respond proactively to other people's complaint as well, which also shows their lack of care about customer service.

Date of stay: April 2017