“Fantastic Ryokan style in beautiful park, near Gion”
Review of Kyoto Yoshimizu

Kyoto Yoshimizu
Ranked #102 of 376 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Suga-san and the rest of the Yoshimizu Inn staff made us feel at home. Travelling with my wife and another couple we got great suggestions, a friendly welcome and even glasses, dishes and blankets for the sake + chips we brought back to eat at the hotel. The room was very cozy and warm (Kyoto is around 40oF/5oC this time of year). The Inn is in the middle of Maruyama Park, a beautiful park with shrines, hills and gardens near Gion and Pontocho, so you can enjoy the park in the morning and restaurants in the night. Strongly recommend!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vicsrk

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed here with our youngish children and another family (5 adults and 6 children in total).
It is hard to imagine that there could be anywhere better to stay in Kyoto. I won't repeat the descriptions found in the other reviews except to say that our hosts were charming and couldn't do enough to look after us and that the walk to and from the inn through the park (around 5-10 minutes) was one of my favourite parts of every day.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank NJBLAust
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This place took my breathe away. I've stayed in some great Ryokans however this tops them all.

Only 7 minutes walk from the big red gates of Maruyama Park, this Ryokan sits in the middle if the forest surrounded by the best temples in Kyoto.

Whisper quiet, this Ryokan is over 100 years old originally a stay for monks visiting the temples. Its so hard to believe that downtown is only a short 10 minutes walk away.
Completely made of timber this has an old world charm that's become harder to find in japan. Although Ryokans are wonderful, many are wedged between concrete buildings, Yoshimizu is different.

Welcome: Unbelievably warm
Suga greeted me, presented my slippers and served warm tea on arrival. He gently walked me through the Ryokan experience including my own Yukata (gown), slippers how to make my traditional Futon bed.

Rooms: Traditonal
The rooms are super clean, beautifully designed in Japanese style. I'm 6'5" and did just fine. I needed to duck under doors alot but that helped me slow down which is what I needed. There's always warm tea in your room, a floor warmer & heaters keep you toasty warm & extra blankets are available in your room.

Ask for room 'Ho Ta Ru' Its has its own western style toilet (with seat warmer!), seems to have the best privacy as its not ajoined by other rooms & is just opposite the bathing rooms.

Bathing: There are 2 bathrooms, I liked bathroom 2 as the onsen bath was cute. Despite the website saying one thing I was relieved to find you could indeed have a shower morning AND night. Such a great way to relax after a day of Temple tracking or shopping.

Breakfast: Western Style with Miso soup & all organic!

WiFi: the connection is super quick & if you don't have a computer there's one to use for free in reception.

This place is almost exclusively enjoyed by out-of-town Japanese who have been coming her for 'intellectual' retreats or groups that have been coming for years. I met a gorgeous English speaking group. Everyone was welcoming & totally charming. This made the place seemed so much more authentic.

I finally was able to meet the owner, a beautiful elderly woman who is passionate about organic foods & cooking & even has 2 cook books for sale! Wish they were printed in English.

TIP : Although only 10 minutes from downtown you may want to plan your day so that you don't need to keep returning. The transition from crazy concrete jungle to peaceful serenity will just entice you to not leave for the evening!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank TheDeepRetreatOwner
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We came to Yoshimizu on our first night in Japan, and snow fell the next day in the park it is situated in. So we were very happy, coming from Cairns! Really great staff, great breakfast, and location. The park is nice, although a bit spartan in winter. I would completely recommend this place, including if you have kids. It has fantastic style!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Fiona A
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This charming inn is just wonderful - it's in the middle of one of kyoto's most beautiful parks, which is itself full of temples and glades. It's a good 10 -15 walk to get to anything but the location is so stunning it's worth it! The building is beautiful, the rooms are simple and well appointed and the atmosphere inside is warm and peaceful. But what really makes this place wonderful are the people who run it. Takuya and all the staff there are simply some of the most helpful, warm and friendly people you're ever likely to meet.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen D
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Right up the back of the park, it's about a 10-15 min walk up the hill from Gion (5-10 mins on the wy back down). The reward for the walk each day is a peaceful and friendly ryokken that is close enough to the action while feeling a mile away from it. The park would be beautiful outside of winter but was still a pleasant stroll in the cold. We stayed two nights and had our own toilet. For us, two nights was about enough to enjoy the ryokken experience and we stayed another two nights at Monterey hotel to see the rest of kyoto (and enjoy a mattress). The best value ryokken we could find and definitely recommended.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marsh_Craigy
Reviewed January 1, 2013

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Shuan L