“This place is really great!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kyoto Yoshimizu

Kyoto Yoshimizu
Ranked #81 of 348 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Cairns, Australia
“This place is really great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We came to Yoshimizu on our first night in Japan, and snow fell the next day in the park it is situated in. So we were very happy, coming from Cairns! Really great staff, great breakfast, and location. The park is nice, although a bit spartan in winter. I would completely recommend this place, including if you have kids. It has fantastic style!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank cycad101

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

This charming inn is just wonderful - it's in the middle of one of kyoto's most beautiful parks, which is itself full of temples and glades. It's a good 10 -15 walk to get to anything but the location is so stunning it's worth it! The building is beautiful, the rooms are simple and well appointed and the atmosphere inside is warm and peaceful. But what really makes this place wonderful are the people who run it. Takuya and all the staff there are simply some of the most helpful, warm and friendly people you're ever likely to meet.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen D
Bondi, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Right up the back of the park, it's about a 10-15 min walk up the hill from Gion (5-10 mins on the wy back down). The reward for the walk each day is a peaceful and friendly ryokken that is close enough to the action while feeling a mile away from it. The park would be beautiful outside of winter but was still a pleasant stroll in the cold. We stayed two nights and had our own toilet. For us, two nights was about enough to enjoy the ryokken experience and we stayed another two nights at Monterey hotel to see the rest of kyoto (and enjoy a mattress). The best value ryokken we could find and definitely recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marsh_Craigy
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

A beautiful ryokan in a wonderful location in Murayama Park which has some of Kyoto's oldest temples. The rooms are clean and have only basic amenities, to our surprise we had to make the bed ourselves including laying down the mattress, apparently a Japanese custom. Breakfast was also wonderful a quirky mix of western and Japanese foods. Would definitely recommend this ryokan to anyone wishing to experience a little of old Kyoto.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank tessapau t
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I stayed five nights here recently and I had such a great experience. I was really looking forward to staying in a traditional Japanese ryokan and Yoshimizu ticked all the right boxes.

Finding the place was not a big problem thanks to Google Streetview. I managed to walk to the inn with my backpack in 15 min from Gion-Shijo station.

I've never had better service from hotel staff -- everyone seemed to love their job so much. I enjoyed sleeping on a futon (surprisingly comfortable), soaking in a hot tub and breakfast was really great! Only minus point is that being a traditional Japanese inn, the walls are paper thin. Thankfully my neighbours were all considerate during my stay.

I'll be making return trips to Kyoto and I'll be sure to book a room at Yoshimizu again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank pagartan
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Travelling on my own I was lucky enough to obtain a one night booking at this Ryokan in the hills of Kyoto. This was my first stay in such a place and first visit to Japan. I was so incredibly impressed with the authenticity of the place and the staff were extremely helpful with planning my visit. I especially enjoyed the hot-tub and making my own futon! The ryokan is located in such a beautiful part of Kyoto and visiting at the end of autumn, it was truly magical. I recommend it to anyone visiting Kyoto and I definitely have plans to stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo