“The best service I have ever got”
Review of Kyoto Yoshimizu

Kyoto Yoshimizu
Ranked #106 of 379 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed August 8, 2012

The yoshimizu Ryokan has one of the best staff I've ever met. They take care of customers like family, the place is ultra clean and intimate. Being at the heart of maruyama Park it offers you the facility of going by walking to kyoto's downtown. People at the hotel are friendly and very helpful. They are going to make calls for you, take care of your belongings and provide you with maps, water and good advices. I love the people working there, it was actually difficult to leave, I wish I could stay longer at this ryokan.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Adriana R

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed at Yoshimizu just one night. It was by far the best night of our trip. The property is a little on the ramshackle side but utterly charming in every detail. A self-service traditional Japanese inn, they say themselves. Indeed. Nice oforo. Delicious breakfast -- a combination of Japanese and western breakfast foods. Our room (A Ka Ne) looked out on a small garden, and was just tatami, screens, a little table, lights, and a tiny vanity. The staff was very warm. There is a piano in the cafe area -- my wife played a song and everyone clapped, staff and guests. We played sumarai bubbles with a roaming toddler. It's a hike up the hill from town, take a taxi if you have baggage. The setting is beautiful. We didn't even leave the inn to go exploring our only night in Kyoto -- that's how enchanting it was. I slept like never before to the sounds of the forest.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Steve B
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The Kyoto Yoshimizu is a magical traditional japanese inn situated in a leafy park in central Kyoto. We were given a warm welcome in an informal reception room which doubles as a breakfast/coffee room and has lots a guidebooks and other reference materials. We were rather late to find a restaurant for dinner, but the staff searched exhaustively. There is no restaurant at the inn, but there is breakfast - an intriguing mix of japanese and western. Positioned where it is central Kyoto is a 25 minute walk, but returning at night you feel you have returned to the peace of the country - and kind staff made us a cup of green tea, and ushered us up to an upper balcony to sip it quietly and watch the velvety night falling over the park. Unfortunately i fell ill and had to go to casualty - again the staff were wonderful - finding the best hospital to go to and even managing to find a comforting hot water bottle when i returned.

Room Tip: make sure you get an ensuite shower.. there are not ensuite baths.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AubynCarus
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I checked out of K.Yoshimizu yesterday after seven nights stay there and have to let other travellers know what a gem this ryokan is. This is the best find I have had yet on T.A., I was searching for a really authentic, low rise, non-hotel establishment to stay at ... really liked the photos other travellers had posted and it turned out to be a great choice. It is in a magical location, right at the back of Maruyama Park - side by side with the huge bell and Chion-In Shrine, to get down to the shopping precinct you pass through the Yasaka Shrine. This is a great location - right next to all the Gion attractions, plus Shijo Dori, one of the main streets.

At this ryokan there are some really pretty Japanese rooms; also the choice (mine) to have a room with western style beds. Some rooms are en-suite, others are shared bathrooms which have full strength showers with plenty of hot water as well as deep Japanese style baths.
Breakfast is included in the room price - and this is a thoughtfully chosen, a nicely presented selection of egg (in different ways on different days), miso soup, yoghurt, and as much bread (toast) and tea/coffee as you want plus butter/jam.
The service from the team here is just amazing: friendly, helpful, always obliging and genuinely concerned about the individual needs of each guest. There is a good mix of Japanese and overseas clientele, including families. The staff here all speak very good English. Further, they will gladly offer any advice and answer all questions about sights to see, travel arrangements, etc. Nothing is too much trouble!
This rustic ryokan was previously a monk's house. It is kept in mint condition and wonderfully clean.
Considering all the positives and what it and the staff offer guests, it is a great price for what you get. Book early - it keeps pretty busy.
Would i stay again? in an instant!!
DianneMuriel (Cairns, Australia)

Room Tip: There are Japanese style rooms or western style beds available. Check with the staff at the ryokan...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank DianneMuriel
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I decided to book this ryokan for a one night stay after I read a recommendation for it in a Japanese language Kyoto guidebook, as a >100 year old machiya right smack in the middle of Maruyama Park for under 9000yen per night with breakfast. It did not disappoint! I did have some trouble finding the place, as I was walking through Maruyama Park to get there only much much later at around 7PM+ in autumn after rain, so please note, if you're not taking a taxi, you might want to go there when it's still light, because Maruyama Park does not have loads of overhead lamps to guide the way (it was pretty dark at points, fortunately this is Japan so I didn't worry that much about safety and stuff, but much harder to navigate). When I left the place the next day, I found the proper road and it was much easier to navigate.

The actual building is very atmospheric and they practice a system of self-service, where they provide instructions on how to lay your own futon (complete with very cute drawings!), and how to clear it up the next day. I've never had to lay my own futon before, but it was quite fun and not tiring at all. There is no lock for the door, just a very ingenious piece of wood that props against the sliding door and the door bracket to prevent people from sliding open the door when you're in the room, but if you leave the room you can't lock it (not too much of an issue given the safety level of Japan, but if you have valuables you probably should leave them at the reception). The bath was very very atmospheric, felt more like I was staying over at someone's house instead of at a ryokan.

The breakfast was one of the more interesting ones I've had. It's japanese-style western breakfast, everything is organic and handmade, very rustic thick bread slices, home-cooked small portion of scrambled eggs, home made jam with real slices of fruit inside, tea (they provide jam so you can have "russian tea"), and the most adorable set of plates and wooden utensils. The breakfast room (cafe in the afternoon) opens out to the road and the garden out front, so it's lovely to just sit there and enjoy the atmosphere of Maruyama Park. I really wished I was staying more than one night, but it was definitely enjoyable!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank ricepapergirl
Reviewed May 23, 2012

The place is hard to find but totally worth it once you arrive! It is quaint, warm, beautiful, very Japanese in style. We loved wearing our yukatas & robes. The host is a very kind man who let us sample soup he was making for breakfast the following morning, served us breakfast 45 min after the end of breakfast cos we slept in!, lent us umbrellas & even cooked our 2 minute noodles for us one night. We loved that we couldn't have had this type of 'accommodation experience' anywhere else in the world. Our room was gorgeous, clean with a little private garden to look out into. There were no locks on doors but we felt very safe. Salon Haraguchi (where we wanted to stay but was booked out) was 2 doors down! The location- on the peak of Maruyama Park was really beautiful- especially during cherry blossom season & within walking distance to many gorgeous sights & shops. It was VERY worthwhile spending a bit more to stay in this inn.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Both of us enjoyed our stay at Kyoto Yoshimizu.

The location was a little of a headache initially as we had large luggages/backpacks. However this was resolved by getting there by taxi (as recommended on the ryokan website). Later on, the ryokan staff also helped call for a taxi at no extra charge.

All that remains about the location is walking through Yasaka Shrine and Maruyama Park to get to the ryokan. Again, I was proven wrong as the walks were very enjoyable and were a nice change from your usual hotels that are located in concrete jungles. It definitely helped that the cherry blossoms at Maruyama Park were in full bloom during our stay.

I have to really commend the ryokan owner (a man with long centre-parted hair). It was raining very heavily on our first day at the ryokan. When we came back from our adventure on the ryokan's bicycles, we were immediately invited to take a bath even though the common baths were not open for use yet (from 5 - 11.30pm).

Later on at night, when I went to get some advice from the owner, I saw him personally using a dryer and newspapers to dry everyone's shoes. Every single pair of shoes had newspaper stuffed in them. I was absolutely impressed with that. I am sure everyone ended up with almost dry shoes the next morning.

Do keep in mind that the 'continental breakfast' simply means a semi-boiled egg, bread which you can toast yourself and some tasty soup. The portion was a little small.

Please also note that the rooms cannot be locked so you will just have to trust the system there. It is a nice and cosy ryokan where the service staff and owner are on top of things all the time.

All in all, it was a very pleasant stay. Easily the ryokan with the most character which we stayed in.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple