WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #34 of 233 Specialty lodging in Kyoto
ENGLAND
“Just like home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

I stayed here after reading excellent reviews and I wasn't disappointed. I have never stayed in a traditional guest house before so I wasn't sure what to expect. Guest Inn Chita couldn't have been better. Only a 10 minute walk from Kyoto JR train station. As soon as the owner Kahori introduced herself I felt at home. Kahori speaks excellent English and went out of her way to make us feel welcome. The rooms are very clean and a great size with air-con and TV. I was a little worried about sleeping on the floor but I slept like a log. There are adequate toilets for the number of rooms and 2 showers. We never once had to wait for the shower. There is also a kitchen and we cooked most nights. There is a large Yodabashi store across from the train station which has a supermarket in the basement. Free internet access and for those of you that don't have a laptop with them there is a computer available to use also. There is a washing/drying machine for 200yen. Higashi Honganji Temple is across the road from the Guest House. We met so many interesting people from all over the world and often sat at night chatting to them in the lounge area. I honestly didn't want to leave here and will definitely be stopping here again on my next visit to Kyoto and I will be staying in touch with Kahori and her family.

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Jakarta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

The inn is an old japanese house. Located in a small alley opposite Higashi Honganji Temple, 15 minutes walk from Kyoto Station.

The hostess was very welcoming and she spoke fluent English. I emailed her the possibility to drop my luggage before check in time and she replied quickly. I got to check-in early around 1pm though, so my luggage went straight to my room in the first floor. The stairs were kinda steep you have to be careful, especially if you carrying suitcases.

The ground floor has japanese bathroom with huge bathtub to soak in, western style shower rooms and toilets, laundry, and common room where you can use microwave and other facilities.

The room I stayed was not too big, but more than enough for a single room. It has TV, side table and futon laid down in the middle. Yukata and towels are provided. The walls are thin but it didn't matter to me. The neighborhood itself was quiet so there are not much noises from the street. It also has vending machine and computer in the lobby.

What impressed me the most was the hospitality of the hostess that makes me feel like home :)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dapto, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed here with a friend, and the hostess was fantastic! The house is an older building, with lots of traditional charm. The room was comfortable and clean, and although the bathrooms were shared, they were still individual cubicles, with western facilities, so you still had privacy. Location wise, it's right opposite Higashi Honganji temple, and very close to the Kyoto JR Station. Only about a 5-10 minute walk. Easily accessible, and well signposted. Overall, I really enjoyed my time here, and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

This is a typical Japanese style house, which is nearby kyoto station (5min walk), and I was so amazing it's totally made of wood! The room is spacious, and decorated by tatami. When I went back after my busy trip, I felt very relax! The bed is so soft (even better than hot spring hotel), and the whole house is so clean!
Staff here can speak English, and they are kind and helpful! I quite enjoyed my stay. Great value!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank xi t
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

We booked a little late (the night or so before!) and still got a huge room. Enjoyed a lovely Japanese bath, and a comfortable night's sleep. Easy walk to the train station, and temples and gardens - our room overlooked some temple gardens! Great value.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

Good location not too far from the JR station. Very welcoming and helpful staff. The toilet and showers are on the ground floor and the rooms are upstairs making it quite a hike on steep stairs when you have to go! The carpet and decor are a bit dated but clean enogh. Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much and would recommend staying there.

• Stayed May 2012
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

This is the first ryokan we stay in kyoto, and I would say this is the one that I received the best welcome and feel mostly like home.

Although the room is not so big, it is absolutely suitable for two people with comfortable futon and tatami.

The ryokan is very near JR station and the famous Higashi Hongan-ji is just opposite the road. We arrived very late due to the flight but the host waited for us and made us feel like home. It is really great!

Although the shower room and toilet are shared, there are actually two shower rooms in the ryokan so it is not difficult to use one. The washroom is really clean!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple