“Wow... wow... wow...”

Tsujiri Honten
Ranked #38 of 12,102 Restaurants in Kyoto
Cuisines: Japanese, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Gion
Baltimore
“Wow... wow... wow...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I'm still dreaming of Tsujiri. This place served the best green tea parfaits ever! The best I've ever had. Hands down.

Their menu is HUGE and everything on it looks so delicious. It took me a very long time to decide what I wanted because I literally wanted everything.

The parfaits are awesome. I just need to reiterate that again. I ended up just choosing the biggest thing on the menu. The ice cream is fantastic, the red bean is fantastic, the flavored ice is fantastic, the mochi balls are fantastic, everything is fantastic!!

So this is how it goes. You wait in line, which extends from the second floor, through its staircase and outside onto the street. But once you get in, you are served hot green tea. You place your orders, you finish your grand dessert. Then you are served cool green tea. Then I recommend you go back down to the first floor and buy their green tea products (snacks, tea leaves, etc.)

Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney
“A must-visit in Kyoto”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Amazing looking and tasting parfaits, some are like works of art! I tried one with fresh kiwi fruit and banana, jelly, ice cream..that was lunch actually but hey, I was on vacation :) definitely a must-try when in Kyoto.

• Visited July 2013
Raub District, Malaysia
“The best matcha ice-cream/parfait”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Visited here twice. The first time we were here, we were too late. Their restaurant were close. So we didn't manage to visit the upstairs' restaurant. Had no idea that they closed so early on a Sunday night. Gion were pretty must deserted by 10pm, unlike on a Saturday night.

We tried their matcha flavored soft cream aka soft serve on the first visit. It was so delicious that we decided to visit them again on the next day for the parfait. The next day we were actually heading to Osaka early in the morning but decided to delay our time of leaving Kyoto just for their parfait. After our lunch, we headed to their shop and saw people were already queuing at their staircase. I had no idea how long we queued but when we were halfway up the staircase, the queues had extended out to the street.

We ordered their signature matcha parfait and their seasonal parfait. We even ordered their matcha pudding. It was so good that worth the time we had to queue. For those who love green tea/matcha products, it's a MUST to visit this place!!

• Visited April 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Possibly the best dessert ever.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

After a ramen dinner & wandering around the markets & shops, we decided we needed to cap off our evening (and Boyfriend's birthday) with something sweet. We had seen a long line for this place earlier in the day, and decided to try it. And were promptly blown away. I had the Sakura parfait; Boyfriend had one of the many green tea parfaits (the one with chestnuts), and wow. The combination of textures and flavors is probably why this was among our most favorite desserts we've ever had. We went back again on our second & last night in Kyoto, and very seriously considered stopping over on our way back to Tokyo from Osaka for one more...until we realized that they had a location in Tokyo (Ginza station), so we just went there instead and had one more! Unfortunately I assume the Sakura items are only seasonal, so I guess I'll just have to go back to Japan again only when the Sakura are in bloom, once more!

Visited April 2013
Hong Kong, China
“must try dessert in Kyoto”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

We finally tried this famous dessert on our 3rd attempting for queuing. The first time too long and 2nd time can't make it by its closing time. However, I carry my body at the edge of sickness of cold and queue with friend for over 30min to finally make it.

It has wide variety of desserts. I choose its signature dessert while my friend choose its season limited sakura mochi.

The signature dessert is very large in portion and full of icecream, jelly pudding, mini mochi and it tastes good.

THe sakura mochi carries strong sakura flavor and chewy.

The environment is really good and so is service.

It's worth queuing.