“I miss it already - lovely marbled beef that melts in your mouth!”
Review of Mishimatei

Mishimatei
Ranked #146 of 12,359 Restaurants in Kyoto
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Shinkyogoku Shopping District
Reviewed December 21, 2010

I had read about Mishimatei on Fodor's and Lonely Planet and decided to give it a try.

We were very warmly welcomed by the staff and quickly ushered up to the second floor of the shop (there's a butchery run by the same people on the ground floor, if you love beef, you would go crazy looking at the offerings available) and into a private tatami matted dining room.

They have an English menu and we decided to go for the lunch set, which at about US$50 per pax, is incredible value for the dining experience and the quality of the beef.

A pleasant waitress was on hand to help us throughout the meal - she spoke limited English but we didn't have any problems ordering. She took our orders and came back shortly with a plate of gorgeously marbled large slices of beef (there were two large slices for each person), with some tofu, onions and vegetables as the side shows.

She did all the cooking for us and was always on hand to assist when we needed anything. She cooked the beef in a shallow hot pan in our table using salt and sukiyaki sauce. The beef was absolutely divine and when coated with the raw egg, was so silky smooth and tender that it almost literally melted in my mouth. If this is the "tourist" lunch menu, I can't imagine how the US$120 per pax "highest grade" sukiyaki set would taste like.

We were able to take our time to enjoy the meal and were not hurried in any way. Word of warning - You do end up smelling like cooked beef after the meal though! It was a fun experience and the staff was wonderful. I thought it was excellent value for money as an equivalent meal back home could cost double the price I paid.

I've read that there are better sukiyaki places in Kyoto, but if they are truly better than Mishimatei, damn, I've got to make a trip back to Kyoto soon to have my mind blown away!

3  Thank PlasticTrees

Reviewed October 26, 2010

After a recommendation from a Japanese colleague, I've made reservations at Mishima-Tei. We were not on a tight schedule, however, apparently the restaurant was.

In a record breaking time of 20 minutes they were able to make $250,- worth of Sukiyaki at our table, let us eat it and kindly request us to leave the premisses because of restaurant closing. Absolutely unacceptable and a pure waste of the food.

After several complaints in Japanese, no action was taken by the staff and eventually the manager handled the situation disrespectfully.

If you are in a hurry it might be a good place, if you want to have a relaxed evening, skip it.

Reviewed July 9, 2010

For our one night in Kyoto, this place was a perfect and delicious Japanese experience.

Reviewed February 17, 2010

If you are looking for great japanese beef, look no further...I been to this restaurant twice and I must say this restaurant has never fail me in both the experience, expectations and quality. Although the menu range can be quite expensive but the beef quality is the best you can find in Kyoto. The beef melts in your mouth. How to tell the beef offered is of top quality - the broth from the beef does not have much residue after boiling the beef in it. The restaurant also sells beef in the major supermarkets like Isetan and Daimaru.

1  Thank EldrickWo
Reviewed December 14, 2009

I ordered the "least expensive" beef set at around 9,000 yen each. There is not much fat but the meat is super tender and tasty. It is not stated in the menu where the beef comes from but it is a completely different experience from US fillet. The beef is supposed to be eaten with freshly mashed turnip which brings out the flavour of the meat. It also makes the beef less greasy and "hot".

1  Thank Sarah88HongKong