“Traditional charcoal grilling in a friendly atmosphere.”
Review of Okariba

Okariba
Ranked #165 of 16,392 Restaurants in Kyoto
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center
Reviewed May 19, 2016

The owner was an astoundingly nice man (even by Japanese standards). He made us feel at home and answered all of our questions. He also had a little fun with us, as he gave us some bee larva an crickets to try (to test our bravery). The crickets were quite good. But if you are going to eat more conventionally, the wild boar is fantastic as is the trout (the best trout I have ever had). The vegetable plates were also delightful. The next time I am in Kyoto I will surely return. This was the best food experience we had in Kyoto, and certainly a highlight of our trip.

Date of visit: May 2016

Reviewed May 4, 2016 via mobile

We visited with my girl on the evening and they were just cloaing, but as they saw our sad faces they gave us an hour and so we were alone and the place was just for us. The food is amazing, they were some pork skews that you just got to try. Also the grasshoppers were pretty exotic but they are sweet and small baych so they are like dessert. There is pretty nice collection of banknotes from arownd the world on the wall. The owner is very nice guy and we had pretty good time.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed April 29, 2016 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend decided to eat here after having strolled in the philosopher's path. Don't worry if the place looks unfriendly for tourists, the owner speaks a little bit of English and the menu is also in English. We had the boar skewers (awesome), the horse sashimi (didn't like it much), the bee larvae and grasshoppers (both interesting) and the bear tongue ( very tasty and offered by the owner). We enjoyed the evening and the utterly polluted and smokey locale. The evening was a blast. I think we might have been overcharged but honestly don't care, probably worth it (since it was quite affordable anyway).

Recommended!

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed February 17, 2016

I went to Okariba few days ago with some friends while spending a weekend in Kyoto. The food was good indeed. we mostly had so wild boar kobab.
what I want to share however is the atmosphere and experience we had there. The owner is an old man who speaks a tiny bit of english and has a good sense of humour. he treated us with some plume wine, snake sake, bee sake but also some crickets and bee larva. Encouraged by my friend cheering him, he even put (almost forcefully) a mix of rice, crickets and bee larva in my mouth... Which I obviously had to eat, who wants to offend an old man. Anyway i'd recommend this place to whoever goes to Kyoto.

Date of visit: February 2016
2  Thank clement-barbier4
Reviewed February 16, 2016

Get ready to meet Japanese Ron Swanson (from Parks and Rec!). The incredibly welcoming owner cooks boar he hunts himself in a rustic cabin-sort-of-space in a sleepy part of Kyoto.

We really loved the crickets and the pork skewers. A few other items my husband liked but I wasn't as hot on, but I don't think you can order badly on this menu.

Super memorable and totally showed us a new side to Japanese food and culture.

Date of visit: January 2016