“Great place to stay in”
Review of Guest House "Bon"

Guest House "Bon"
Ranked #58 of 420 Specialty lodging in Kyoto
Reviewed August 13, 2013

It was truly a wonderful experience that I will not forget, and at such a reasonable price... The owner was very friendly and spoke perfect English. The first thing he did was to sit down with us and let us know any information we would need in Kyoto: what buses to take (the guesthouse is conveniently situated not so far from the train station with bus stops in the vicinity), where to buy the special one-day bus tickets (spared us so much money), how to go to the main monuments (the Kinkakuji is quite near too), where could we have good meals at reasonable prices, etc... I really haven't found such a friendly host in my life, one that would treat us, two customers, as we would treat an old friend.

The room was cozy and we loved the feel of tatami under our feet. Therefore, and for all the reasons above, I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had a great stay in Guest House Bon. Our host was very friendly and helpful.It turns out the secret to getting around Kyoto is to get to know the bus system. The first thing our host did was sit down with us with a transit map and explain how to get to all the places we wanted to go.

The guest house is in the northern part of the city, so a bit of a trek to the central part of town but with a fair few attractions in its own right within easy striking distance. There are a number of supermarkets close by and the guest house has a nice kitchen and common area in which to prepare and eat meals.

The rooms are Japanese style and are big enough. Overall a great stay.

If you like hiking, ask about the hike to Asago-san, a two and a half hour hike up to Shinto shrine through cedar forests!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The hostel is a litle far from the train statinon, but close to many temples and attractions. The owner is very helpful, provided me with pams and direction on the places I requested to see. The rooms are very clean and over all a great place to stay with a very nice common room. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I booked this place through Hostel World. The guesthouse is a small place with traditional architecture (i.e. some low-hanging doorways:) ) in Northern Kyoto. I actually preferred staying away from the fray of city center, and the guesthouse is in a quiet and peaceful neighborhood, very close to Daitokuji temple. It's a straight shot from Kyoto Station, about 30 minutes, on the No. 9 bus. The owner is exceedingly kind and helpful. On my final day, he even drove me to the nearest subway station with my baggage when I had an early morning departure. The place is also kept meticulously clean. The rooms are simple and small, but adequate, with traditional tatami mats and closet space for storing luggage. My only critique would be that the walls are thin. If the guesthouse is full, you are likely to hear others coming up and down the stairs, talking, etc. But overall, especially for the price, this place is a gem. If I am ever in Kyoto again, I will definitely consider staying here!

Room Tip: I stayed in a single room. It was cozy, clean, and adequate!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I just love GH bon! though the location is very far away in northern kyoto, like 1.5 km (20-30 mins walk) from the nearest subway station (but with the weight of luggages and all it feels like you walk for 3 kms), it is a very pleasant stay and have a very homey athmosphere. the house is not too hard to find since the direction given is precise and you just need to follow it and in the end you'll see the small wooden board with "bon" writing on it. The house is a traditional japanese house and is a little bit small but still it is clean and comfortable. the owner is very friendly and kind and he speaks english very well which is very rare in japan. I travelled with my two sisters and when we arrived at the GH, the owner immediately ushered us in to the common room and helped us arranging our trip in kyoto, which places we need to see, the shrines near the GH, the bus we have to take, the schedule of the bus, even the onsen and sento near the GH.
The room we stayed in is a traditional japanese room with tatami floor and comfortable futon bed. there is also a heater in the room. The kitchen is a bit small and can be used to cook freely, coffee and tea is also provided for free. The bathroom and toilet is also small but clean with a western style toilet and a japanese style toilet and 2 private shower rooms. The area is quiet and not too many tourists around so it's good if you want to observe another side of kyoto.
We travelled back in april but due to our abrupt departure to japan and the popular cherry blossom season and the tourists peak we had a difficulty finding a place to sleep. we only got to stay for only 1 night at bon and we had to move the next day to another place. The eternally helpful owner kindly offered to help sending our luggages to our next hostel so we can still explore kyoto and follow our schedule for the day. We were so grateful :) i would definitely come back here next time i visit kyoto. Two thumbs!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 1, 2013

A very good choice to stay in Kyoto during few days.
The rooms are very simple, but in japanese style, i've found it very well for us.
The quarter is quiet, closed of bus station and some temples.
Mr BON search every time to know if your have some problem and try to solve it, when possible.
He advice you what is well or better to visit, which subway or bus station to take.
The best exemple of japanese hospitality.
The day of our departure, he has proposed to bring us until the subway station, and freely.
Very serviable, a good man, a good guesthouse.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We stayed 4 nights in total in Bon Guest house and whole experience was very nice.
Place is very clean, cozy and located in good area.
Host of Bon Guest House helped us a lot with getting around in Kyoto.
Thank you very much!!!