Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I can only review the onsen (hot spring) bath section and I did not stay at the ryokan. Nonetheless, I found the staff of the resort to be very helpful even when I bought my ticket for the bath. The resort is located up the main street from the Kurama train station, with a regular shuttle between the station and the resort. I chose to walk to the resort because Kurama was such a charming village, perhaps even more so in the winter, and although it was uphill it wasn't really that long of a walk. The bath itself is clean, with shower and restroom areas, and has very nice views of the surrounding mountains with (when I was there) snow-covered cedar trees. Although people with tattoos traditionally cannot enter baths like these in Japan, I noticed several male visitors with tattoos while I was there, so I imagine that this rule might not be strictly enforced. The price for visiting the onsen was a bit steep for non-hotel guests (1100 yen at the time), but I stayed for a good 2 hours and felt incredibly refreshed upon exiting the bath.

Date of stay: January 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank Traveler M
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had almost done our shrine visits in Kyoto , though no one can complete all of the temples in the beautiful city of Kyoto and we were in Arashiyama, and decided to experience Japanese Onsen . From TA reviews and also from our hotel concierge, we knew that Kurama would be an excellent choice, and we were not wrong when we took a cab from Arashiyama to Kurama . At just 4000 Y, we were at the resort and opted for open air onsen. It had coin operated tickets and bath towels. Adult ticket was 1100 Y, Child ticket was 700Y, small bath towels were 200Y . It was a relaxing experience to soak in the warm waters with Cedar trees and lust mountain greenery all around. The stone paved path upto the onsen was beautiful. We must have spent an hour there, when we came out and took the courtesy shuttle to Kurama station. The cute wooden station was an experience too, and the small mountain train that took us down to central Kyoto was enchanting experience. There are few seats facing the windows, and it was really nice.

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Debasish D
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I spent 2 nights at Kurama Onsen as a special celebration of our wedding anniversary. It was absolutely wonderful. The service was good beyond my wildest expectations. We took the room with two meals a day and had two incredibly well prepared Kaiseki meals. Breakfast was also amazingly good with many small dishes Japanese style. Everything is spotlessly clean.
Kurama Onsen may have a modern building and modern pools for their bathing, but the food and tradition were totally Japanese. You sleep on a futon on the floor and wear a yukata ( Kimono type robe) while you are there. They also give you Japanese socks that work in thong sandals.
My husband wasn't totally sold on the futon, but we both slept like babies and hope to repeat the experience some day.
The price for an overnight and meals is pretty expensive, but if you can possibly afford it, you will never forget it. It is easy to reach from the Sanjo or JR Station and directions on their website is up to date. We used the website for reservation and got a reservation number. No email was sent confirming the reservations. When I called to be sure they had gotten them no one could speak English. So when we arrived in Japan we had the Tourist Bureau call them and we learned that we did indeed have reservations.
During the day there is a walking path through the Kurama Shrine which is truly fascinating.
In both the the Onsen and the Shrine there is little English spoken, but they speak enough to do a fabulous job of making their guests comfortable and relaxed.

Date of stay: September 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank BettyLouAnn
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Beautiful - The view here is amazing ~ red maple leaves & beautiful weather !

Accessible - Just 2 trains away from Osaka (abt 90mins train)

Lodging & Meals - Nice & clean tatami rooms and awesome food served into ur room ( personalized & friendly service personnel ).

BEST THING - the bathhouse ! Outdoor gives u amazing view & Indoor is very comfy !

Cost - abt 1k SGD for 4 pax (bath, lodging & meals)

Date of stay: December 2011
4  Thank Sophiestikatedd
Reviewed September 4, 2011

This is a VERY special place. We hiked from Kurama to the next village. It was so beautiful. The leaves were changing colors and it was foggy and gorgeous. The baths were a great experience. But if you can spend the night I would. What an amazing experience...the food was great, the service was wonderful. What an experience!!

Date of stay: November 2010