“Basic if you need somewhere to stay”
Review of Tomato Guest House

Tomato Guest House
Ranked #204 of 346 Specialty lodging in Kyoto
Reviewed September 1, 2013

A very basic hostel. Booked due to everywhere else being full. Accommodation was quite old and so therefor cold even in April. There was a heater provided so that was certainly used whilst we stayed. Again showers etc old but met the needs of backpackers but accommodation was poor compared to all other similar priced accommodation we stayed in in Japan

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank WalkertheWanderer
There are newer reviews for Tomato Guest House

Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is the worst hostel I ever been to. Smelled bad, something between wastes, smoke and mold. You could basically hear your neighbors breath. Bad service. If you want the reception to call a hostel, restaurant or what ever, prepare to pay for it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Janet C
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Pubic hairs on the pillows. The sheets. The duvets. The beds. The floor.

Different colour hairs from different people. Blonde hair, brown hair, black hair, asian hair. All over the sheets and pillows. Needless to say they don't bother cleaning it.

I have travelled throughout Asia and this is without doubt the worst guesthouse I have ever had the displeasure of staying in.

Other problems include:

- 2 showers to service 40 beds. Queues and horrible conditions unavoidable.
- 4 toilets to service 40 beds. As above.
- At the end of each corridor is a large metal basin which rumbles loudly whenever someone turns the tap on. You can hear this loudly enough to disturb your sleep from 8 rooms down with the door closed.
- Paper thin walls and noise easily transmitted.
- General level of cleanliness and hygiene extremely low; everything grubby.
- Common room is a small box of a room with a broken TV and computer, couches so dirty you don't want to sit on them.

If that weren't bad enough, the staff are downright rude and unpleasant. When I raised the above complaints with them I was told that it is not a hotel, and if I wanted anything close to a reasonable standard of facilities, I should look elsewhere. I pointed out that I had stayed in better hostels for less money regularly all over the world. They then ignored me and waited for me to leave so they could carry on aimlessly browsing the internet without a care for the customers who had the misfortune to wander into their filthy hovel.

I continued to complain to the woman at the front desk but she completely blanked me while browsing on the internet. This irritated me because I expect complaints are a regular occurrence and this was their standard way of dealing with them.

I then found other members of staff who again, didn't want to talk to me. They disputed the squalor of their rooms and forced me to go and get the the duvet from my room, and stand in the middle of their office pointing at pubic hair after pubic hair saying each time " is this ok? is this ok? is this ok?". They refused to let me talk to the owner and only after half an hour did they agree to give me a refund on the condition that I don't contact the owner or write a bad review.

I hope the owner reads this and either has the mercy to close the hostel and put everyone out of their misery, or fire all the staff, especially the fat receptionist and the small, weaselly man who were most rude and unpleasant.

We moved after a nightmarish 11 hours to the K House in Kyoto, which seems to have won a plethora of awards like "Best hostel in Japan", and deservedly so.

TL;DR: Avoid at all costs unless you are caught in a storm and have literally no other choice.

Room Tip: You will avoid the worst rooms if you turn around and walk out of the door, to literally any other h...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank G C
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The staff is friendly (speaks English and is very helpful), the prices not so bad and the location (close to the main station) is very handy.

BUT: the room was smelling like urinal cake, the Tatami floor was very uncomfortable (super thin mattress), the toilets smelled like urin, the entrances smelled like stinky feet and the whole look of the hostel is lacking some love and style.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank FreddyFresh
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Maybe because i stayed in different guesthouse the night before, it feel so diff.. with only 400¥ diff the facility is very very diff. This guesthouse only hv bathroom on the 1st floor (while i stay on 2nd floor) kitchen also on 1st floor. Ths toilet on 2nd floor dirty and stinky. When you walked on the hall every one in the room can hear you, same think when u talk i the room, your voice can be heard along the hall and other room.
The place is close to the station and the staff was nice, that only plus point.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Lina H
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Great place to stay if you're just looking for a bed with no frills. My friends and I stayed here a while back (Jan 2011) and were extremely happy with the thoughtful and helpful staff. They can speak English and are willing to assist you with directions, places to go etc. It's an easy 10 min walk to the station (just down one road) and there are nearby food shops nearby. Rooms have no decor and bathrooms a bit outdated, but that's forgiveable, we weren't too fussed on that. I'd recommend this place to budget travellers.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank shazsydney17
Reviewed November 19, 2012

The staff is nice and helpful, she allowed us to leave our luggage over there as we want to start our exploration early in the morning. The staff here can speak fluent English and she is so kind, even though she has off duty but she still assist us for the room check in. As it is a guest house so we cannot demand so much, they only have 2 bathrooms in this guest house so you have to wake up early or queue up for taking bath. The kitchen is equipped with microwave and water heather, you can cook at the kitchen as well. This hostel located nearby the Kyoto station, is easy for you to access the train and bus.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple