“It doesn't get more convenient to Kyoto station than this!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Matsumoto Ryokan

Matsumoto Ryokan
Ranked #270 of 366 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Tampa, Florida
“It doesn't get more convenient to Kyoto station than this!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Comfortable futon's, more slipper changing (typical Japan Ryokan fashion) than ever, with showers and public bath in the basement. Clean, close and convenient. Front desk was helpful (some English with the desk attendent we spoke with).

Book this Ryokan, best bang for the buck.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank david r

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

I wanted to stay in a traditional Ryokan and this was booked because of its close location to the station - and it is great when you just arrive into Kyoto, tired and dirty, and it's just 3 minutes away. It is also rather cheap. Staff really helpful and nice. The hotel is quite tired and worn, but the room was clean and tidy. The room was cold though, and even after heating on full, the toilet was a no-go area during the night. Internet free in the lobby during the evenings - expect to queue. I am glad I did try it out, and recommend for those not so sure, but next time I will splash out on more yens to a more upgraded ryokan.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed there coz my planned overnight bus couldn't operate bcz of typhoon. And I receive so much extra service from the very nice gentleman at the front desk as if I was one of the family member.

I walked in to ask for the price simply bcz it looks so much more worn out comparing to the other taller hotel next door and I need somewhere affordable to stay until the next morning. I thought I was just going to stay in my room battling with the futurn plan bcz of the sudden typhoon. But in the end I made the greatest friend in my Japan trip.

I stayed in the cheapest japanese room without bathroom. But since I was the only girl checked in that night, so I enjoyed the public bathroom all to myself.

Up side:
1. Location!!! I doubt if you can find anywhere as close to the station and as affordable.
2. Service: If you meet the nice gentleman at night I'm sure you'll receive very warm service.
3. Room size: It is big with the price! I've tried some other ryokan around Kyoto with similar price but their rooms are just not as big. Of coz it doesn't have to be big to be cozy but I know some people do mind.

Downside:
1. Internet: It can be frustrated to know that you cannot use your computer in your room. If you're like me who needs to arrange further transportation and accomodation along your trip, you may need to bring your laptop to the starbucks nearby. (1 min walk)
2. Old: Hmm...the light above the sink is dark and yellow, you may find it "nostagic". But I got really frustrated when I tried to plug in my phone getting recharged but turned out the socker couldn't hold the plug well. Electricity's cut off once my hands were off =___=......

Room Tip: Get japanese style room so you get a big bathroom where you can sit and relax.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank chering
sydney, australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2010

Stepping Kyoto station by myself in the rain I was grateful to discover this Ryokan is as close to the station as they claim. With breakfast and dinner included, the larger room with a bathroom was a very good deal. It's clean and basic accommodation. The meals were good, actually breakfast was great, and the staff were only too happy to help.
A few downsides - the TV didn't work and the single computer in the lobby for internet access instead of wireless was annoying but if you're in Kyoto to see the sites and really just looking for a place to crash, you'd do well here.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank marrickvillain
East Coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2010

I have to admit, I stayed here because the first 10 ryokan on my list (scavenged from the internet and from Lonely Planet) were already booked full. I really wanted to stay at a ryokan instead of another Western-style hotel, however, and this place was willing to reserve a Japanese style room for 1 person. This is rare - usually ryokan will charge at least double occupancy for their rooms. My room had its own bathroom (kind of dingy) and a public bath in the basement.

Pros:
- Location location location! There's an underground mall that runs beneath Kyoto Station, and there's an exit right in front of the ryokan. Or you can just walk around the bus stop area and cross the street. Easy access to all forms of public transit.
- Staff was really friendly and kept my luggage for me until check in time. One gentleman remembered my name and greeted me every time I returned.
- Breakfast was great. I wanted a traditional room and food, and that's what I got.

Cons:
- Definitely worn and weathered around the edges. This is not a luxury hotel.
- The only internet access in the building was a laptop in the lobby with extremely limited hours of operation. I wound up stopping at a couple internet cafes while I was in Kyoto just so I could check email, check weather forecasts, etc.

My rating is really a 3.5, but I rounded up instead of down since it was a generally pleasant experience. I should emphasize, though, that this place is old and definitely shows it, and if you can't handle that kind of stuff, then this is not for you.

The next time I visit Kyoto, I will check with some of the other ryokan on my list first, but I won't be upset if I wind up staying here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Northern CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2010

We (my husband, our two daughters--ages 6 and 9, and my mom) stayed here for two nights. It is across the street from the JR station, so a very convenient place to be. However, it can be noisy because of this. (But not too bad.) The post office is also between the station and the ryokan, which made it convenient for ATM withdrawals.

The ryokan staff was friendly and very helpful. We had a Japanese style room with a bathroom (highly recommended to have the bathroom!). There was plenty of room for all 5 of us in this room. There's also a public bath downstairs, which a couple of us tried and enjoyed.

The breakfast was delicious but a very traditional Japanese breakfast. My mom was ready for whole wheat toast and fruit, which is hard to find! Each breakfast had a ton of food--rice, miso soup, some kind of pickled vegetables, green tea, tofu, egg, seaweed, etc. Very beautifully presented.

There is also a Starbucks down the street a bit (near the Kyoto Tower Hotel) and that was a treat. :)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
17 Thank CAFamily
Freiburg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2008

Directly opposite of Kyoto station. No breakfast but public bath available. However a cafe near the hotel was ok. Friendly service but at least the western style room we had should be renovated. The price of the room was ok.

• Liked — central location near the station
  • Disliked — smoker room allthough a labeled with a "non smoking" sign
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)