Hirashin
$113
$184
$163
  • Pool
Hotel Monterey Kyoto(Kyoto)(Great Value!)
$97
$69
  • Restaurant
Citadines Karasuma-Gojo Kyoto(Kyoto)(Great Value!)
$100
  • Pool
$141
$77
Agoda.com
All reviewstofuroom was spaciousmen and womenwithin walking distanceair conbathsmatsubway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 19, 2012

This Ryokan has a superb location; right next to the huge food market in Kyoto, and in easy walking distance from great areas as Gion and the Imperial Palace. I was going with a girl friend who was visting Japan for the first time and I wanted to give her a true Japanese experience of a Ryokan -- and that's what she got! Very basic rooms with futons that we one night made ourselves, the other night they were made when we came back from dinner. Breakfast was included and this was Japanese breakfast only, hence a lot of fish and tofu which is not what I usually eat for breakfast but still deliciously served and enough to fill my stomach. We were greeted with a cup of well-made green tea. We did not use the public bath available in the basement nor did we really ask the staff for much, but there was always plenty of smiling faces and helpful hands when we needed it. I great but basic place for exploring Kyoto!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Really nice traditional centrally located hotel in Kyoto.
2 stops on the metro from Kyoto central station and 5 min walk.
Nice sized room all laid out for daytime. You go out for dinner and when you return its all set up with futons and duvets for bed.
The room had a small adequate on-suite bathroom but also access to a large traditional communal bath in the basement should you fancy it.
Good traditional breakfast albeit quite early serving times. All in all highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Not only is the traditional Japanese style accommodation amazing... the staff were incredibly polite and spoke English well but also let us practise our Japanese. Kyoto is amazing and I highly recommend Hirashin Ryokan whilst visiting this beautiful city.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2011

around the corner from nishiki market and two blocks from daimaru. staff very helpful in booking restaurants and plotting directions in english. tatami room was comfortably-sized for our family of three. facing a schoolyard across the street, our room was nice & quiet at night. free wifi at the lobby together with a couple of workstations were much appreciated though the lobby can get smoky at times.

countless foodie options within walking distance. enjoyed the fresh soya donuts at nishiki market and lunch at tenyu tempura. lunch at tenyu is reasonably priced and not as hard to book as dinner. aside from the outstanding tempura's fresh ingredients and light batter, of note is the house tea, which is as heavily-peated as an islay malt.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Great location close to public transportation and many sights. The staff are very friendly and speak relatively good English. The room is traditional while the rest of the hotel is like a slightly dated hotel. The bathroom was very small but I actually didn't even use the tub/shower; I prefer the shared public bath on the basement level. If you haven't used an asian onsen/bath before, then read up on the etiquette (wash/scrub/rinse before getting into the bath naked). Hot and wonderful!
I had the kaiseki dinner in the my room. It was plentiful and delicious although I wasn't entirely sure what everything was. As with all Japanese cuisine, if you grew up in a landlocked state in the US, be adventurous.
The had computers with internet free in the lobby. I think Wifi is also available in the rooms but I didn't bring a laptop.
It's expensive, but everything in Japan is expensive.
Overall, a good stay.