“Great place in the BEST location.”
Review of Kagihei

Kagihei
Ranked #166 of 373 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Sydney, Australia
“Great place in the BEST location.”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Just came back from 4 nights at Kagihei, 2 adults with 2 kids. It is excellent, very clean, lovely staff and amazing location, right in the middle of Nishiki Markets. Everything is on your doorstep. Breakfast is Japanese style, the kids got stuck into the fish and everything else that was hiding in all those small dishes.
There is no wifi but Starbucks is around every corner so just register for their free wifi before you go.
It is about 1000yen trip in a taxi from Kyoto station.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank MRH26

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Kagihei is a wonderful ryokan which is worth doing a little research to book. I do not believe it is possible to book online from Australia - but the owners speak enough English to be able to make a booking over the phone. We ended at the ryokan as our Japanese friends had booked it. The room is lovely with ensuite toilet and bathroom, the onsen is fine, and the breakfast is to die for. Amazing traditional food in a private room for your group. I have not experienced a better breakfast in Japan. I am not too sure of the price but think it is great value for money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Suebru_12
Michigan
Reviewed July 9, 2008

Wonderful traditional Japanese Inn in the heart of Kyoto. My wife, Aunt, and I stayed in this Inn during a visit to Kyoto. We booked it through a Japanese travel agency out of Tokyo.

Upon arriving we were escorted to our room by the owner who was dressed in a kimono. She presented us with tea and chatted for a few minutes. The room was a traditional Japanese room with tatami floor mats, separate bathing and toilet areas, low table and chairs, and futon beds that were rolled out for us when we returned from dinner. The room also had a western style table and two chairs to the side and a TV.

A traditional dinner and breakfast was served at the hotel. I enjoy many Japanese foods, but I still struggle with some of the traditional foods, especially breakfast. I think my Wife and Aunt appreciated this part of the stay more than I did. On the second floor was a nice public bath.

After dinner we walked to the Gion District and explored the lantern lit river walk. We did see two geisha girls while we were out. Kyoto's traditional vibe is stronger than in the more modern Tokyo. Staying at this traditional inn really helped us feel the spirit of Kyoto. This is not a western style hotel room. If you are not open to trying something new, this might not be the place for you. If you are looking to experience more traditional Japanese culture you will love this hotel. The traditional features made this a lovely and unique experience. Hopefully I can make it back someday.

• Liked — traditional features
  • Disliked — I couldn't bring myself to eat some of the food
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank sparty37