Hokkaikan Ohanabo
  • Free Internet
  • Restaurant
Oyado Niwa(Kyoto)
View Hotel
All reviewskaiseki dinnerjapanese breakfastpublic bathryokan experiencegreat ryokanlow beamskyoto stationtofubrought teasmall platesroom with private bathstraight lineshabu shabuexcellent hospitalitytwo nightsjapanese bathtraditional kaiseki
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed 5 nights at the Ohanabo while in Kyoto for a class. I wanted to experience a traditionnal Japanese ryokan, and I have to say Ryokan Ohanabo far exceeded my expectations. The service was amazing, everyone was very friendly and made me feel at ease; I never felt out of place as a Westerner withouth knowledge of Japanese language or culture. When I left after 5 nights, not only did they help me find another great place to stay, but they arranged for my luggage to be moved while I was in class.
My room was large, airy and clean. The futon that was laid out was soft and comfy (for a futon). I had a room with attached bathroom, but I actually never used the shower, preferring the fantastic communal bath. Dinner, ordered in advance, was served in the room: I sampled the kaiseki dinner, the shabu shabu and the sukyiaki; it was very exotic, and very tasty. Breakfast, Japanese or Western style, was served in a common room on the ground floor. The Japanese breakfast featured several small dishes all exquisitely presented.
I would recommend anyone whishing to experience traditionnal Japanese hospitality to try it at Ohanabo; there may be more luxurious ryokans around, but given the quality of service, the Ohanabo is a great deal. This is a very different experience that requires an open mind, good knees and back (sitting on the floor and sleeping on a futon), and I would advise to do some research on the net prior to arrival. I had a mind-blowing experience which I will remember for a long time!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Andreanne75
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Stayed one night in this traditional machiya with dinner and breakfast. I was glad that they accepted my reservation as I am only staying for a night and was travelling solo. Everything with Ohanabo is excellent. Location is great, just a 5 minutes walk to Kyoto Station. Very easy to find. The cute lady boss was so cheerful and you will always find it a joy chatting with her. I had booked a room without bath but they gave me a room with private bath at no extra cost. How sweet! It was Spring so Kaiseki dinner was served. Very sumptuous and delicious, and the Kobe beef was good! It was very well presented and you can literally feel the chef's sincerity with his food! The friendly staff that served me dinner had a limited command of English, but nevertheless, he never gave up explaining the dishes and chatting with me. After dinner, the staff will lay the futons for you. The futons were very thick and clean. I had a very good night rest. As with all traditional machiya, I could hear the guests' chattering in the adjacent room and the occasional sliding of wooden doors, however, the Japanese are very well-mannered, it was all very quiet after 10pm. My room was facing the temple and I could see the beautiful cherry blossoms outside. Lovely! Breakfast was served in the Dining Hall on the 1st Level. And needless to say, the food was just as delicious. Tofu was very smooth. They gave me a packet of sweets when I checked out. How sweet again! Will stay with them again next time!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank llydzzi
Reviewed April 13, 2012

My husband and I had the most delightful experience at the Ohanabo Ryokan. After staying at a terrible hotel in Kyoto for 2 nights, we were really looking forward to our Ryokan experience. We were easily able to walk there from Kyoto Station, and we were delighted to see the Higash Hongan-ji Temple right across the street. The Ryokan is easily recognizable by the pictures on the website and there is a small sign out front. The staff was absolutely delightful. The owner greated us and spoke very good English. The ladies who served us dinner did a great job of explaining everything that we were eating. Our room had a view of the temple across the street and even though we were in the middle of Kyoto, we felt transported back in time and never had a problem with noise. We personally opted to pay extra for a room with a private bath and did not use the public bath although we did see that they were immaculately clean. Do not be alarmed by the Japanese style pillows. Allow we were a little leery at first, we slept very comfortably. The beds were also nice and the blankets were so fluff. We were initially unsure about how to book this Ryokan, but we had great success using: http://www.yado-web.com. All of our correspondance was with: yoshitomi@yado-web.com. Their first email to use got caught by our SPAM filter, but after that we had no problems with the reservation and they were very prompt. I cannot recommend this place enough! We were looking for a traditional Japanese experience without staying too far from the city and without paying exhorbitant prices. Ohanabo, while pricier than our other "western" style hotels was perfect for a single night respite in Kyoto!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Rinnegirl143
Reviewed February 1, 2012

I selected this ryokan even though it didnt get many reviews on Tripadvor-however all of the reviews were positive.
I can only agree:Its an amazing ryokan,so easily located near the station and oposite the beautiful Higashi-Honganji Temple.Near to some fine restaurants (the owner of Ohanabo knows some truly nice ones!) and Yodabashi-store and Isetan,it's just a perfect choice.
I was welcomed with tea and every day upon my return I would find a small sweet snack and/or tea waiting for me.
I had a room consisting of a hallway with freezer and teamaker,a bathroom,a sitting room and in a separate bedroom I found my futon .
I had been to Kyoto 2 times before this and still I was pleasantly surprised.
The staff are very attentive and friendly.
Breakfast was not included in the price,but that didt spoil the fun.I ordered a japanese breakfast the first morning-it was a lot of food and presented in a lovely way.
Today after doing a lot of walking in the february cold I even enjoyed their japanese bath.
I find this place,especially for the price I was charged,very good value.

I would recommend it to anyone who would like to experience a ryokan,and yes I would go back there myself.

like I said,AMAZING!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank chehegi
Reviewed January 31, 2012

The service at the Ohanabo is excellent- the staff are very nice and attentive but do not overdo it and are not knocking on the door all the time as some ryokans may do. The location is convenient but still quiet. It is not a huge place so it has an intimate feel. We only had breakfast there but the fresh tofu was great- the only tiny disappointment was that the tofu was substituted by sausages on the last day.
I am Japanese and thought the price was excellent value though it was peak season.

• Stayed: December 2011