“Okay”

Ranked #50 of 369 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
London, United Kingdom
“Okay”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed in Kyoto after a few days spent in Tokyo.

I stayed at the Mitsui Garden hotel as it was cheap and I was only there for 2 nights. I made my booking via the booking.com website. It cost me ¥ 21000. The hotel was okay and offered all the basics, bed, toilet, shower and closet. The room was small but big enough for me. The hotel offer traditional kimono style bath robes which was nice. The hotel has a lovely indoor public bath, which is part of their spa. The receptionists were very friendly and always willing to help.

Breakfast was good as it had a variety of Japanese breakfast items (rice, miso soup, fish, noodles etc) and some continental (bread, eggs, salad etc).

In terms of location, it is just 3 blocks from the shopping street in Kyoto, and 4 blocks from the nearest metro station, so well situated. There is also a 7 eleven and other local shops just 2 minutes up the road. The 7 elevens have cash machines if you need to withdraw money.

NB:
In Kyoto I would STRONGLY suggest having a sufficient amount of cash, as most cash machines do NOT accept non-Japanese cards. I am from the UK and used my HSBC Visa credit card, my Halifax visa debit card and non of the cash machines would take it. My colleagues from France and America also had the same problems with their debit cards. They were lucky that their cards worked at all the 7 elevens. Unlucky for me, non of my cards worked. I was in such a panic of course, but my colleague lent me some cash. On the second day in Kyoto after trying all the cash machines I could find, I came across a City Bank, and to my luck it accepted my card. God had truly heard my prayers as I really gave up hope.

Another tip is to take a map of Kyoto (hotel offers this) as it helps to have it should you get lost and need help from locals. Kyoto is really block based, so its easy to navigate your way based on how many blocks from one location to another.

I was only at this hotel for 2 nights so didn't have a chance to make use of all its facilities. It was okay and very basic, but I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank M_n_M1707

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Was staying in march 2013. Affordable price, great location, clean and quiet. They give you yukata instead of european robe, which is nice. Didn't use the Onsen though. Breakfast is various including local and european options.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank asioto
George Town, Malaysia
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is a totally neat place! The rooms are spacious! The bathhouse is amazing (First time in a Japanese shared bathhouse, but it felt amazing) There's the coin-laundry (which is a bit pricey, but it's very convenient) The location of the hotel is nice too - being a walk-able distance from the convenience stores and the bus-stop. But I think this place is a bit on the pricier-side? Well, it's a nice place to stay if you have enough cash to spare. Oh! And the breakfast buffet! The food was delicious! But the place was a little too small and so the hotel guests have to wait-in-line to go in for breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney Australia
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

it was a bit hard finding the hotel from Shijo station so I recommend taking the bus. Bus 50 stops right in front of the hotel. The stop when catching the bus to the hotel is Shijo Nishinitoin.

It's very close to the temples and Gion, we usually would catch the 200 series bus to Gion. The hotel also sells the 1 day bus trip so that's very handy.

It's very clean and decent sized rooms! Will definitely recommend to others!

• Stayed July 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Mitsui was a very nice hotel. Front desk was really nice (even gave some medicine when I got sick late at night) and spoke a high level of English. The rooms were very clean and tidy but the beds were a little hard. The dryer was not very effective so I suggest going to find a coin laundry place instead.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Hotel located one or two bus stops away from the busiest area of kyoto. the nearest bus stop is just 2 mins walk from the hotel and you can reach most of the places by those buses. There is a Family mart convenience store and two supermarkets near by. Free Japanese bath pool and massage chairs are available (Tidy and Clean). The room is new, modern and quiet, beds are comfy. I stayed in a twin beds room, the room is not big, but still ok.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ccaclyc
Naples, Florida
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Despite a decent location and nice interior I would never set a foot in this hotel and strongly advice the same to you. My friend and I booked 7 nights in this hotel, nonsmoking, twin-bed room.
At arrival we were told that we only "requested" a nonsmoking room and that there is no guarantee to get a nonsmoking room -> even though we chose this option at booking.com and also quoted this in the comments section. They later changed their mind saying we even booked a smoking room in the first place. To make a long story short we were given only two options:
smoking room in the booked category or nonsmoking in a smaller room/lower category, same price of course w/o no discount. 2 hours debating did not help to negotiate if we can switch to a nonsmoking twin bed room or even get a free breakfast as courtesy. Their treatment was outrageous and completely disrespectful. You do not want to be treated this way, be sure there are enough hotels nearby w/ customer service that do know to treat / respect you, so keep away from Mitsui Garden hotel, seriously. We canceled our room the same day and found a new hotel, as good as this one, within 15-20min, same price!

Room Tip: Be aware that if you choose nonsmoking room in your booking process (e.g. booking.com) it does not g...