“Top Notch Great Location”

Hotel Granvia Kyoto
Ranked #15 of 379 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed August 11, 2014

First stay in Kyoto and this is a great spot. Believe the reviews the train station is an amazing location. The hotel is modern and clean but with a Japanese flair such as wood floors in the bathroom and Japanese style lighting in the rooms. The central location is perfect for touring and though the restaurants in house are pricey there are scores of choices nearby. Italian restaurant Salvatore in department store at Kyoto Station is excellent. Great hotel and the service is very warm.

Room Tip: View of Kyoto tower very nice ask for it
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DrJohnIz

Reviewed August 10, 2014

So conveniently located, spacious, and luxurious all in one. Am very pleased to have picked this hotel right in the Kyoto Station which is so modern and awesome!

The shopping, restaurants, trains, buses and cabs are all right there! The hotel lobby with soaring ceilings is very impressive. The optional Japanese/Western buffet breakfast is so worth it.

Our room is very clean and very big after staying at other hotels of the same price. There were many lamps and sockets for us to plug our cameras, phones and computers.

Our bathroom's toilet can tell when you are approaching. The toilet seat opens up and has a blue light inside. I think it flushes by itself.

The bathroom has a separate shower with many sprays that you can adjust. They have a Nespresso machine inside and premium tea is also provided. They give you a big bottle of bottled water everyday too.

If I every go back to Kyoto, this is the hotel I will pick again.

Room Tip: I asked for a view and I got a view of Kyoto Tower and the mountains including the big budha which w...
1  Thank foodyholic
Reviewed August 7, 2014

We had read how early arrivals rarely get their room. This was our case ay 11am, but not wholly unusual at any hotel at this time. We had a bike tour in the afternoon and when we returned the bags were in our rooms waiting. It was clean modern and perfectly located. A shopping mall underneath, the main train station, a metro line directly up into town. Everything was to hand. The buffet breakfast had a huge selection and was popular. We went straight in but did see a queue on our our second day. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Hard to fault.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed at Hotel Granvia during our three-day stay in Kyoto and had a wonderful stay. The hotel is SO conveniently located right next to the major train station in Kyoto, as well as a main bus stop hub. The Skinkansan also stops at the train station right outside of the hotel so we did not need to hail a cab to get to our room. The buses to go and see the various temples were all a few steps away, so it was very easy to get to where we wanted to go. You are also within walking distance of tons of shopping and restaurants.

The room was very spacious and clean, and surprisingly quiet. We thought it would be noisy with the train station being right underneath us, but it was fine. The bed was very comfortable and the room provided everything we needed. The staff were friendly and kind.

The price of our stay was also very reasonable considering the location and the level of quality of the property. Would definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the side of the hotel that faces the Kyoto Tower for a pretty view at night.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Adrienne L
Reviewed August 3, 2014

If you plan to use Kyoto as your hub to visit Kansai areas and all their attractions, there is no other convenient place to stay than the Hotel Granvia. It sits on top of the JR Kyoto Station which serves both the Shinkansen and regular JR trains. This is not the case in many stations such as Osaka, Kobe, or Yokohama where high speed Shinkansen trains are kept separate from ordinary JR trains. In spite of the fact that Kyoto is a big city, this major station does not feel crowded simply because of its expansive architectural design and outdoor atmosphere even though you are still indoors. Though the hotel lobby feels isolated in one little area of the station's mezzanine, you will be surprised how large the place is with 500+ rooms and 12 restaurants & bars. Clean and new, service is impeccable. Rooms are of average size for Japanese hotels. You will never feel like you are on top of a massive railway station. No noise, no vibration. Amenities are extensive including complimentary internet. Beds are fluffy soft and comfortable. Prices are higher than average but one must consider its prime location. If you stay anywhere else in Kyoto, you will often spend more taking taxis which may add $50 to $100 a day.
From Kyoto as a hub, you can visit Osaka, Kobe and even beyond to Himeji and Hiroshima. Or just stay and visit hundreds of temples and attractions of Kyoto.

1  Thank ChadPeterson47
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We used this hotel as a base while visiting Kyoto and surrounding cities such as Osaka, Nara, Hikone so for this reason we appreciated being within the station complex. The rooms were fine, nothing special, and despite the number of people staying in the hotel, we had good service. At the end of a long day of touring we appreciated the option of staying close to the hotel for dinners . We would stay here again because of its proximity to the station.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. I booked this hotel online through United. The process was fine and the hotel looked great. We took the Shinkansen from Hiroshima to Kyoto. It was great that we could just get off the train and walk to our hotel and not have to worry about getting a taxi etc. We were about two hours early for check-in. They did a pre-check in I guess you could call it, then they took our luggage and told us we couldn't actually check-in until 3:00. I've never actually had a hotel tell me that I could not check in early. They didn't say my room wasn't ready just that check-in was at 3. So we went exploring for a couple of hours and came back at 3:00. They got us right in and we were up in our room pretty quickly, the staff was very friendly. I was with my husband and our two year old son. The room was great although the view was awful. We cold see the top of the glass that covered the station below. But really that was the least of our worries. We slept great and they had everything we needed. On our last day we thought it would be great to take a little break and go to the pool... well we stopped by just to check it out. It's only when we stopped by the pool that we found out 1) we had to pay to get into the pool 2) kids under 3 could not go into the pool. First I was never told that we had to pay for the pool, I've never had to pay to go swimming at a hotel I've PAID for. I paid enough money that the pool should be included. Second, I did my pre-registration and my check-in with my son, not once was I told that he could not swim. This really ruined the stay at the hotel for us.

3  Thank TWNTVLR