“Adequate if Unremarkable”

Hotel Granvia Kyoto
Ranked #12 of 407 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We have just returned from a one week stay at the Hotel Granvia, Kyoto. We had a perfectly adequate if unremarkable experience. We loved the springtime gardens and temples of Kyoto and, overall, the Hotel Granvia provided us with a reliable base to explore this fascinating city.

The hotel is located within JR Kyoto Station Building Complex which is very convenient for accessing the city’s bus and rail network. This makes it a good location for someone’s first trip to Kyoto. The downside is that the hotel is not located in a very attractive part of town.
The lobby is frantic and was far too dark for me during the day – I felt this crucial area of the hotel was not a design success in any way. Check–in and the concierge services were both highly professional.

Our room was tastefully decorated if a little on the dull side – cream on cream on cream with a green carpet. Our room did have a lovely view south over Kyoto towards Osaka. The hotel has 535 rooms located on nine floors – this can mean you can have quite a walk to your room from the bank of six lifts. I should point out that the army of housekeepers were unfailingly efficient and polite. Laundry services were also very good and very cost effective. The one really annoying aspect of our room was the muffled sound of the train chimes that constantly ran all day and into the evening. I was glad to leave them behind after a week! Maybe ask for a room that doesn’t overlook the train station.

We had one dinner on arrival and breakfast every day at La Temps on the ground floor – this restaurant is really to be avoided at all costs and seriously diminishes the overall experience of the hotel. Poor quality food, poor service and in desperate need of expanding and refurbishing – totally underwhelming. We only returned because we had prepaid for breakfast and didn't want to waste time searching for an alternative breakfast option. On two mornings we had to wait for up to half an hour for a table. Admittedly the wait won't kill you - it's just tedious when you are on holiday in a wonderful town and keen to get going. My advice is get there by 7.30am – you have been warned…

On the other hand we had multiple very good dining experiences at both La Risata (the Italian Restaurant) and Roppongi Rogairo (the Chinese Restaurant). The food, presentation and service at both these restaurants were of a very high quality.

We loved Kyoto and will return one day to experience the famous autumn foliage. Will we stay at the Hotel Granvia again? – probably not.

Room Tip: A room that doesn’t overlook the train station
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Venustas96
Write a ReviewReviews (3,170)

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Wasn't sure about staying in a hotel right by the station but what a good choice and no noise. So convenient for getting around on buses or trains and no shortage of places to eat if you didn't want to venture too far after a tiring day. The staff were so helpful and the size of the room perfect. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Stayed one night. Perfect as the hotel is accessible from the station. Right in downtown Kyoto. Room was nice and as you'd expect from this type of hotel. Bit disappointed that you had to pay to use the swimming pool. We booked very late and the room price was excessive for what you get. However, it was a late booking and was during Golden Week, so that probably pushed the prices up. We would stay again if the price was right.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I'll stay in this hotel again, no doubt about that. It is located above the Kyoto Station, which is very convenient wherever you want to go. Outside this station is also the bus terminal and the city bus where for 500yen, you can purchase a one day ticket for buses to tour the city. It brings you to almost all the 'must see' locations. It is definitely worthwhile to purchase the city bus ticket if you are planning on going to several places for sightseeing.

Located in the same building is the Ramen Street, Isetan Department Store and also many restaurants but they all close at 10pm.

The room is spacious and the bathroom/shower is out of this world. The concierge speaks perfect English and each one whom I have spoken to is ever so help and knowledgeable. There are three restaurants you can have breakfast but we always go to the international buffet because there is a good variety and the quality is excellent.

Everything about this hotel is so wonderful that it makes staying here a real pleasure.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 3, 2014

This was an hotel atop a railway station and was a really good option. We came in off a flight from Kansai airport via the train and the hotel was perfectly easy to find after a long flight from the UK.
The staff were all excellent especially the gentleman who assisted us with tickets for trips in the area. The rooms were excellent. Spacious, luxurious with great room service and views of the city. I loved everything about this hotel - the direct access out into Kyoto station and its many food and retail pleasures was a bonus. I will certainly be staying at the Granvia in future.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights back in February 2014, the location of it is excellent. I arrived on the bullet train from Tokyo and it brought me into Kyoto station - the hotel Granvia is right above Kyoto station so I was able to walk to it in a few minutes. It's very well signposted in the station so I had no trouble finding it.

The hotel facilities are excellent, the staff are so welcoming and friendly. The room was lovely and clean, the bath was amazing! It was a huge deep bath which was perfect for a bubble bath after a long day sight seeing.

All the sights are easily accessible from this hotel, with it being above a train station all the sights are a short bus ride or metro ride away. The only downside of this hotel is the noise, with it being above a train station I did expect some noise but my room overlooked the tracks (where the bullet trains arrive/depart) and it was very noisy! The constant train announcements were very loud and went on nearly all night, this meant I didn't get much sleep. My sister stayed as this hotel in August 2013 and she said she didn't hear any noise as their room didn't face the train tracks - next time I would probably request a room that doesn't face the train tracks.

For coffee addicts, walk towards the bus station and across the road from there you'll see a starbucks.

I would stay here again but only if I was given a room not facing the train tracks.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room not facing the train tracks.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank nr2711
Reviewed May 1, 2014

3 years later and we find ourselves back at Hotel Granvia Kyoto! This hotel was impressive the first time we stayed and is STILL equally impressive the second time around. I have absolutely no faults to pick out for this hotel, if you are after an amazing experience coupled with professional services then I highly recommend you stay at Hotel Granvia.

I would definitely choose them again and again regardless of the type of visit to Kyoto!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple