“Best hotel ever!”

Ranked #16 of 366 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Singapore
“Best hotel ever!”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I'll stay in this hotel again, no doubt about that. It is located above the Kyoto Station, which is very convenient wherever you want to go. Outside this station is also the bus terminal and the city bus where for 500yen, you can purchase a one day ticket for buses to tour the city. It brings you to almost all the 'must see' locations. It is definitely worthwhile to purchase the city bus ticket if you are planning on going to several places for sightseeing.

Located in the same building is the Ramen Street, Isetan Department Store and also many restaurants but they all close at 10pm.

The room is spacious and the bathroom/shower is out of this world. The concierge speaks perfect English and each one whom I have spoken to is ever so help and knowledgeable. There are three restaurants you can have breakfast but we always go to the international buffet because there is a good variety and the quality is excellent.

Everything about this hotel is so wonderful that it makes staying here a real pleasure.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed May 3, 2014

This was an hotel atop a railway station and was a really good option. We came in off a flight from Kansai airport via the train and the hotel was perfectly easy to find after a long flight from the UK.
The staff were all excellent especially the gentleman who assisted us with tickets for trips in the area. The rooms were excellent. Spacious, luxurious with great room service and views of the city. I loved everything about this hotel - the direct access out into Kyoto station and its many food and retail pleasures was a bonus. I will certainly be staying at the Granvia in future.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hertfordshire
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights back in February 2014, the location of it is excellent. I arrived on the bullet train from Tokyo and it brought me into Kyoto station - the hotel Granvia is right above Kyoto station so I was able to walk to it in a few minutes. It's very well signposted in the station so I had no trouble finding it.

The hotel facilities are excellent, the staff are so welcoming and friendly. The room was lovely and clean, the bath was amazing! It was a huge deep bath which was perfect for a bubble bath after a long day sight seeing.

All the sights are easily accessible from this hotel, with it being above a train station all the sights are a short bus ride or metro ride away. The only downside of this hotel is the noise, with it being above a train station I did expect some noise but my room overlooked the tracks (where the bullet trains arrive/depart) and it was very noisy! The constant train announcements were very loud and went on nearly all night, this meant I didn't get much sleep. My sister stayed as this hotel in August 2013 and she said she didn't hear any noise as their room didn't face the train tracks - next time I would probably request a room that doesn't face the train tracks.

For coffee addicts, walk towards the bus station and across the road from there you'll see a starbucks.

I would stay here again but only if I was given a room not facing the train tracks.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room not facing the train tracks.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank nr2711
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 1, 2014

3 years later and we find ourselves back at Hotel Granvia Kyoto! This hotel was impressive the first time we stayed and is STILL equally impressive the second time around. I have absolutely no faults to pick out for this hotel, if you are after an amazing experience coupled with professional services then I highly recommend you stay at Hotel Granvia.

I would definitely choose them again and again regardless of the type of visit to Kyoto!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

Every time I visit Japan I fly to Tokyo and return from Osaka or vicecersa. I also visited Kyoto the last time for a day trip from Osaka but if you take a cheap regular train, the journey is very time consuming. At this occasion we took a Bulet train directly from Kansai to Tokyo with a stopover in Kyoto and decided to book this hotel just above the station, so we wouldn't need to drag our suitcases all around town just for the night. Both options, the Nozoni train Kansai airport-Kyoto-Tokyo and the hotel were very expensive but saved us a lot of time and we really took advantage of all the service offered, besides we travelled like in first class with seat assignment and with only one stop in Osaka.
So, as I wrote in the headline, it took us 7' to get to our excellent room on the higher floor overlooking the tracks...but hey you do not sightseeing in the room, do you?
We were more than happy with large room (which is not common in Japan). It waa quiet and super clean, our king bed was very comfortable with crispy white linen and the bathroom very modern and up to date.
The customer service was excellent and so was the overal hotel mantainance.
We did not eat in the hotel as there were so many cheap and delicious options in town. Be prepared to use subway as Kyoto is large and you need to move across all town to visit the monuments...but without bags this was easy.
We were granted late check out
and in no time were sitting again on the train to Tokyo.
I completely forgot to add this review as we visited so many countries and hotels at that time but as I could see the photos it seems nothing changed since last year.

• Stayed September 2013
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Hotel is big and lobby is bustling with people, I think a lot of tour groups stay here. So it is quite noisy. Executive Floor solves this!
Check in was smooth, but had to queue for a short time.
We booked a room on Executive Floor - this made A BIG difference to us. We were on the 15/f. There is a nice lounge(7am-7pm) with free drinks/small snacks and dedicated concierge.2 computers with printer to use at no charge (24hrs) Even check out was done here.It was relaxing at the end of the day to come back and chill.
= Nice bathroom with separate power shower area. Good amenities but not take away sizes. Lighting a bit dark.
=Good size room. Comfy bed. Did not like the colours. No wow/modern factor, but a nice room. With kettle. Safe. Good housekeeping.. very clean. Quite air con and a clean air plus humidifier machine. Bathrobes/slippers
=There are quite a few outlets for b/f even one on 15/f - but not a great food choice. So we joined the masses and took the buffett downstairs, which had good selection. But advisable to go early.
Location: Right above train station- so we just jumped off the train n walked up. - GREAT. But for old Kyoto you need to taxi it or metro .... walk is about 20mins.

I left a T-shirt in the room. Emailed hotel and they followed up perfectly and are now mailing it back to me!
Highly recommend renting a bike for touring around.

Room Tip: executive flr. we had 1548 which was facing train station...but no noise. I think the view could be...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

Although service in general is very good, both the hotel and its location make it cold and confusing. Our room was adequate, but the price was excessive. The Western breakfast buffet leaves much to be desired. Would look for a different hotel next time.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple