“Im very sad to check out today but Will come back for sure!”

Hotel Granvia Kyoto
Ranked #14 of 395 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I've made the reservation for this hotel noting that my parents are celebrating their 50th anniversary and first time to Japan! I've also called ahead informing them that we need some help with our luggage once we get off the Shinkansen from Tokyo. When we got off the train, heading towards the turns tall, I immediately spot 2 staff members waiting for us to take our bags! We stuck out like a sore thumb I'm sure! They took us to the reception to check in. They informed us that they like to take a picture of my parents, have it framed, and they'll give it to my parents when we check out. That was a nice and unexpected gesture. We stopped by my parents room first. There we saw they left another surprise for my parents. A note from the GM with 2 pairs of chopsticks wrapped in traditional Japanese floral design pouch. Well this certainly made our visit better! The rooms are fairly large by Japanese standards. We couldn't get rooms facing the Kyoto tower but that was ok. We could hear faint announcement from the train station in the 11th floor(15 in all) but didn't bother us. The hotel is attached to the Kyoto train. Station where you can connect to JR rail, subway, and the city buses. It's such a convenient location. The rooms are very clean. Other reviewers were saying that its a bit older but it is well maintained. There is a walking gallery as you walk through the hallway from the train station into the hotel. These paintings I was told were done by art students. I paused to enjoy the beautiful art pieces. It is a bit more pricey but we received great service and you can't beat the location! Upon checking out, my parents got their portrait and are very happy for their golden year anniversary. You can't put a price tag on happiness:)! Will only stay at Granvia from now on whenever I visit Kyoto.

Room Tip: Pick a higher floor if you cannot get the north side facing Kyoto Tower.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,118)

Reviewed December 12, 2013

It's a great hotel, perfect for a business man. The location is perfect for travelers, it's inside the Kyoto station. The room was big, clean, nicely decorated, the bed was big and comfortable, the staff is ok. The breakfast is amazing! If you do not want to eat in the hotel, you will find many restaurants in the train station. You should try one of them.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We spent five nights here as a family of five. The view from the rooms was OK. The location of this hotel is incredibly convenient if you are visiting Kyoto by rail and/or planning to make day trips by train from Kyoto. We made full use of this. The whole family really enjoyed our stay and all agreed the hotel was excellent. Convenience store not too far away. Food court in the station was well utilised too. The hotel is a little expensive but I don't think we would not look at staying anywhere else if we returned to Kyoto. Hopefully we will. It is a beautiful place.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Richard K
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Granvia offers fantastic convenience as it is located inside Kyoto station (which is a futuristic building and a tourist attraction in its own right). We got off the bullet train from Tokyo and after a brief walk within the station found ourselves at the hotel. There is bus terminus just outside the station so it's very easy to get into downtown area ( we tried walking once and that took about 25 minutes). Flat rate of ¥220 bus fare within the city ( make sure you have the correct change and pay only when you exit at the front of the bus ) or ¥500 for a day pass. It rained on the second morning so spent our time browsing at Isetan department store which occupies several floors of Kyoto station opposite the hotel.
Hotel room was very comfortable and although there was some morning noise from one of the train platforms ( not the trains themselves but more like chimes and announcements) it was fairly subdued and not an issue. Didn't have meals in the hotel because there were so many choices available in the station's underground malls and Isetan has a basement food market as well as a number of restaurants on its upper floors. We may not stay at Granvia the next time we visit Kyoto , only because we're now more familiar with the city but Granvia was the best ( albeit somewhat pricey ) choice for our first visit to Kyoto.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This is by far the best hotel in Kyoto. It is a bit pricey but worth every penny. For one, its right in Kyoto Station which makes it easy to jump on and off of trains. You would think that being inside a train station it would be noisy but it is not. Not one bit. The beds are very comfortable, its very clean, and absolutely my all time favorite hotel in Kyoto. We have been to Kyoto three times and we always stay here. You won't be disappointed. The breakfast which was included with our stay is fabulous.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Areyes279
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Granvia Kyoto this November as it was well reviewed and wanted the convenience of the location.

Per the suggestion of many, I did request a room on the North side, overlooking Kyoto Tower. This added to the price of the rooms. I stayed 5 nights in 2 different rooms, both for more than $400 a night for a standard and superior room. Based on the cost, I was anticipating some luxury, but they were very basic rooms. They were rather outdated, both with mildew in the showers and with dark carpets that showed dirt that hadn't been caught. There was no complimentary coffee or tea. The free wi-fi kept dropping when in the standard room, which made it difficult to look into my plans for the following day and impossible to Skype; when in the superior room, there was no problem.

I wanted to send my luggage to the airport in advance, which I would imagine is a common request for a hotel that has been in existence for awhile. I was told by one person I needed to send it 1 day in advance, and another said 2, then when I asked a third person what time I needed to send it by, he said it was already too late, while it was 3 days in advance and he was telling me it required 2 days. Only after complaining did someone actually call the company and confirm that I had to drop my luggage by the afternoon of the 2nd day in advance.

The hotels I stayed at in Osaka and Tokyo *combined* cost less per night than this hotel, and they offered Nespresso coffee in the room, were much cleaner and modern, had great free wi-fi, and much more attentive staff. The very basic room and amenities, dirty showers, spotty wi-f and bad service were not what I expected for the price. I think that the hotel should offer more than the location when a customer is paying the amount they were charging. Next time I will try a different hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank 213LAX
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Spent four nights in this hotel and couldn't have asked for a better hotel. Our room overlooked the shinkansen tracks. Though we could hear the music that signalled the train had arrived, it wasnt loud enough to bother us.

Staff were extremely helpful - a) we had a queen sized bed and when they saw us, they tried to source for a twin bed room. Unfortunately, no luck but the bed was very comfortable so no complaints. b) the concierge desk was really helpful. They booked restaurants for us, gave us tips on where to go, printed out maps and even printed the entrance to the restaurant so that we would know what the restaurant looked like. Note: Japanese restaurants do not have English names on the front so you need pictures to figure out where to go.

Location wise - the best! you are connected to Shinkansen, JR, subways and buses. The station itself has loads of shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family