All reviewskaiseki dinnerpublic bathroom attendantone nightryokan experiencetraditional experiencetea servicetraditional breakfasttraditional bathtraditional ryokanmulti coursesukiyakirooms are largefuton bedjapanese cuisinewestern style hotellocation was perfect
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We are so happy to have chosen this ryokan as our first ryokan experience. As we had expected, the Japanese hospitality was always attentive and impeccable, spotlessly clean in the room, toilet, communal bath etc. Their staff is very helpful and articulate in English that makes life so much easier for foreigners looking for advice in food, transport and tours. If you are looking to stay in the Gion district, where the geisha and maiko are traditionally bred, cultured and trained, this location is perfect. We loved walking and exploring hidden alleyways leading to beautiful private gardens and inns, and occasionally spotting maikos in their full regalia walking around so gracefully and elegantly. Top marks for a 2 night stay. Reliable wi-fi service in the lobby area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I booked this ryokan for my trip with friends to Japan because we wanted to experience Japanese culture at least once. At about 25,200 yen pp per night, we had 4 people in one room on the top floor and with plenty of space to move around despite having two very tall guys with us. Our room looked out to greenery and it was peaceful area. There was barely any noise coming into the room from outside or inside the ryokan. It looks very traditional and blended in with Yasaka Shrine just beside it, literally.

Service was excellent, very polite and helpful. If you do not speak Japanese, it still should not be too much of a problem. The ryokan provided a set of booklets etc upon arrival that teaches you how to use the bath etc and information on the ryokan. We walked around the ryokan ourselves to explore and saw a nice small garden and the bath area looked out to a garden outside although view was limited due to the condensation on the window. Nevertheless, the bath was wooden and interiors were Japanese style yet classy and clean. The area to pre cleanse was large and it did not feel awkward at all for us throughout the entire experience. Toiletries were all provided and shampoos and conditioner were lovely to use. Apparently, it is the largest bath in Kyoto. If you're looking for a real onsen experience, you would have to head out because most hotels in the city do not have access to real spring water.

We bought the breakfast and dinner package as well and were served some interesting dishes! I would not say it is challenging to eat as most of them were made from commonly used ingredients around Asia, but they were interesting in the way the chef used them and hence the food had pleasant and delightfully new tastes. Presentation was lovely and the lady who served us would explain to us what we have on our table. The small samplers filled us to the brim despite their serving size!

Sleep quality was excellent as well. Futon was so comfortable my friend almost wanted to buy a set home so she could relive the experience. Other than that, there was nothing we could complain about and can see ourselves coming back again for something simple like a time of relaxation and reflection or something more exciting like some pampering and living and breathing the atmosphere in Gion.

Warning though, this is traditional styled inn but it is expensive and I would expect they have to provide guests with a exquisite experience. Hence some features are modern like the toilets and glass windows etc. So if you're looking for something 100% traditional as though you're out in the mountains by the lake etc, this is not the inn for you. If you are looking for comfort, quality and still experience what a real ryokan stay is like, this would be suitable for you.

Room Tip: Very private place so I reckon any room would be quiet yet easy to get around.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights. Overall a good experience, but you certainly pay for it (although we only had dinner in the Ryokan one night, which was enough for us).

Admittedly It was my first ryokan experience, so I can't compare, but for me the highlights were:
- Location was perfect, right next to Yasaka shrine in Gion. The streets around it are some of the best preserved in Kyoto, and it's quiet, yet still relatively close to the centre of town
- Service was excellent, the entire staff were super helpful, very welcoming and nice
- The rooms were spacious, ours had a nice leafy outlook, futon very comfortable, a very tranquil experience
- The Kaiseki dinner was very lavish, there were a lot of different plates all perfectly presented. However, the food was all pretty foreign for our tastes - you need to be a courageous eater to finish everything (or just super hungry!). We only ate one night in the Ryokan, which considering the price, was a good decision. There are TONNES of good restaurants in Kyoto and it would be a shame not to have explored them

My main negatives were:
- The price - we paid about $370 a night for both of us (excluding the night we ate dinner in the Ryokan, which was much more). Be wary that the prices they quote are per person
- Wifi only available in the reception area
- The inside of the Ryokan does feel a bit more "modern" than I'd expected - eg there was a lift, they have TVs in the room etc. But it's still very authentic

Overall a great experience though and I'd recommend it to others.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ozzieinlondon
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Our first time staying at a ryokan, japanese inn, pricey but worth the experience. Decided on the breakfast package. Gion Hatanake is ideally located in Gion Kyoto, near the Yasaka shrine and walkable to all the shops and sites in Gion. Gion Hatanake has private wooden bath tubs/ japanese showers (you sit on stool to shower). The spacious futon bedroom converts to a dining room. In the morning, a young japanese lady served us a wonderful japanese kaiseki breakfast! Be aware that you sit on the floor while dining, and there are only 2 small benchs to sit in the tea room area. Futons and pillow were quite comfortable. I loved the communal bath, warm soothing spring water, it was very zen and relaxing. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Glad I found Gion Hatanake on Tripadvisor, A must stay in Gion!

Room Tip: Apparently the larger rooms on the second floor are 2001 and 2004. The medium rooms are 2002, 2003. 2004 has a better view of treetops and was very spacious. Free Wifi in lobby area, but not in room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We wanted a change from Tokyo and took the Shinkansen train to Kyoto, my wife found this amazing Ryokan as we wanted to stay somewhere traditional, we opted for the double room with an en suite on the ground floor, I must admit I was a little apprehensive when I saw no bed in the room but was I surprised how comfortable the bed was once it was made up on the floor in front of us!!

We were given an afternoon tea ceremony which was really lovely and offered to take a bath in the large communal bath down stairs, it was so relaxing we had a sleep, we had an option to have dinner in our room or at their retauarant about 200 meters away, we opted for the restaurant which I'm glad we did, it was sensational, a true delight to the senses, the chefs were amazing We would highly recommend this option if you have time and can afford it.
one thing the mosquito's were a little angry during the night but that didn't curb our love of this place. The facilities here are first class with incredible attention to detail, the staff couldn't have been more helpful and generous.

An experience of a life time.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple