All reviewskaiseki dinnerpublic bathone nightroom attendantryokan experiencetraditional experiencetea servicetraditional breakfasttraditional bathtraditional ryokanmulti coursesukiyakirooms are largefuton bedjapanese cuisinewestern style hotellocation was perfect
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Our first time staying at a ryokan, japanese inn, pricey but worth the experience. Decided on the breakfast package. Gion Hatanake is ideally located in Gion Kyoto, near the Yasaka shrine and walkable to all the shops and sites in Gion. Gion Hatanake has private wooden bath tubs/ japanese showers (you sit on stool to shower). The spacious futon bedroom converts to a dining room. In the morning, a young japanese lady served us a wonderful japanese kaiseki breakfast! Be aware that you sit on the floor while dining, and there are only 2 small benchs to sit in the tea room area. Futons and pillow were quite comfortable. I loved the communal bath, warm soothing spring water, it was very zen and relaxing. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Glad I found Gion Hatanake on Tripadvisor, A must stay in Gion!

Room Tip: Apparently the larger rooms on the second floor are 2001 and 2004. The medium rooms are 2002, 2003. 2004 has a better view of treetops and was very spacious. Free Wifi in lobby area, but not in room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We wanted a change from Tokyo and took the Shinkansen train to Kyoto, my wife found this amazing Ryokan as we wanted to stay somewhere traditional, we opted for the double room with an en suite on the ground floor, I must admit I was a little apprehensive when I saw no bed in the room but was I surprised how comfortable the bed was once it was made up on the floor in front of us!!

We were given an afternoon tea ceremony which was really lovely and offered to take a bath in the large communal bath down stairs, it was so relaxing we had a sleep, we had an option to have dinner in our room or at their retauarant about 200 meters away, we opted for the restaurant which I'm glad we did, it was sensational, a true delight to the senses, the chefs were amazing We would highly recommend this option if you have time and can afford it.
one thing the mosquito's were a little angry during the night but that didn't curb our love of this place. The facilities here are first class with incredible attention to detail, the staff couldn't have been more helpful and generous.

An experience of a life time.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chillimudcrab
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Our stay at Gion Hatakana was one of the highlights of our trip to Japan. We really wanted to experience a sense of "old Japan" and Gion Hatakana delivered. It is centrally located in the Gion district, easy walking distance to many attractions, restaurants and shopping, and not too far from public transportation.

The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating and the two meals that we had served in our room were spectacular to look at and absolutely delicious.

I had worried that sleeping on the floor would be uncomfortable, and that our room would be too noisy or too hot. I couldn't have been more wrong. Apart from bending my old knees, our futon beds were extremely comfortable, the hotel was extremely quiet and the air conditioning in our room worked perfectly.

The bathroom was luxurious and the public bath in the basement was spectacular - far better than our visit to some of the famous Onsens in Japan.

In short, we have nothing but praise for this wonderful establishment. If you can afford it, don't miss it!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RedstoneBoy
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The property is within a stone's throw to Yasaka Shrine and within 10 minutes from Shijo Doji, which is one of the major shopping areas. Rooms are large, with simple but well-appointed bathrooms and a little sitting area looking out to the treeline (our room was on 4/F, with elevator access). There is a large communal bath too. The food offered at dinner was fantastic and filling. Breakfast service was also good. What a great ryokan experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CHM1
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Kyoto was the highlight of my trip to Japan and the Gion Hatanaka was the best accommodation I have ever stayed in. The staff were fantastic - honestly the BEST service I have ever experienced. Staff were so friendly and helped us plan our daily activities ie. sites to see and how to get around/ public transport. Gion Hatanaka is also ideally located, very central to shopping areas and within walking distance of many areas/ public transport.

I couldn't recommend this place more!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends