All reviewskaiseki dinnerpublic bathroom attendantone nightryokan experiencetraditional experiencetea servicetraditional breakfasttraditional bathtraditional ryokanmulti coursesukiyakirooms are largefuton bedjapanese cuisinewestern style hotellocation was perfect
Reviewed May 27, 2011

Traveled to Japan and stayed in Kyoto for 2 nights at Hatanaka. We used Amex travel to help us choose ryokan as there were so many that looked nice. We wanted to be close to shops, shrines and Gion and this place was perfect. We were greeted and shown to our room and all about room by wonderful staff. The room was upstairs on 3rd floor and nice view of trees and walk to the shrine. we could even watch the sunset over the city. the room was large, had attached full bath (wonderful wood tub and toilet!) also had a large TV. The bedding was hard for me, but after adding another mat, i slept wonderfully. the nice comfortors were full and very fluffy. Taikeshi (sp?) dinner was amazing, and so was breakfast! Worth the money. There were not enough people to do the show, so we didnt get to see that but the upside was we practically had the place to ourselves. the nice onsen-style bath was wonderful - huge tub overlooking a nice zen garden, i truly enjoyed this as did my husband...they are separte (mens/womens) but still very relaxing after walking and sight-seeing. the 2nd night we had dinner on the river at Fumiya (which the staff arranged at last minute!!) and sat outside on the deck and watched the full moon come up, how incredible it was. Fun to walk to the streets of Gion and the bus is closeby as well. The staff here was so amazing, and i would highly recommend this if you want a nice, peaceful experience with amazing staff. We hope to return someday.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank SAlife
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Stayed here in March 2009 on a company trip (a mixed group of japanese and english speaking foreigners).

Typical japanese service from the minute we alighted from our bus at the ryokan. The building style was traditional, but refurbished (not brand new tatami etc, but not worse-for-wear).

Everything was spotlessly clean and in good working order.

The futons were highly comfortable (some foreigners find them very 'different' and difficult to adjust to in comparison to 'normal' matresses, but realise that many japanese still sleep on futons).
Our group attended the Maiko/ Geisha experience/ dinner. This was superb. Such a treat to see the ladies perform, be able to talk with them, and ask pretty much anything! (within reason of course). Some of the young Geikos speak a little english, so it was a bonus that our japanese collegues could translate for us. The meal was traditional seasonal kaiseki ryori. Again, amazing to taste and experience.

I would highly recommend Gion Hatanaka for an overnight experience; the dinner/ experience was once-in-a-lifetime; and if you have no other chance to stay in a japanese ryokan, this is a clean, comfortable foreign-friendly place. (... and remember, you're not staying there to get all your western home-comforts; you're in a traditional, JAPANESE inn)

• Stayed: March 2011
3  Thank pineapplesensei
Reviewed March 31, 2011

When I previously stayed in Kyoto was a business hotel, I had decided ago going to a" Ryokan" inn
What is said and the long-established, so-called "Shinise", such as Tawara-ya or hiiragi-ya,its difficult and impossible to stay in with my elementary school children.
"You're welcome foreigners" Hatanaka,maybe my children feel free and ease, do not resist even the Cub ,and I booked.
Also,I decided to stay my choosen course "Staying in Deluxe rooms at bargain prices"

Hatanaka is in front of Yasaka Shrine South Gate really magnificent a thought.
Just inside the gate and soon femail staff "NAKAI" meet & greet ,has received my luggage
Reception and lobby is 8 tatami width, very narrow. This sense of such thought like Kyoto Machiya.
Are ushered into a room and hallways are surprisingly depth even did make 1 floor 4 rooms.
Rooms have been making 10 tatami mats + 12 a half tatami mats and from lintel, joinery, and ikebana decoration elegance there. For personalised cleaning, fine debris and dust is not in this Japanese-style Inn.
Kids was crazy about TV , but adults were relaxing and looking in South Gate, seen from the window aglow.

I ate Japanese cuisine full course diner In room services. I felt so good.

Was not possible to try to bathe Onsen bath was Maki at bath, but narrow.
Large bath is spacious conceived became the lower ground floor location in Maki wooden tub.This large bath slightly scented, its relaxing to you.

Amenities we've been through the grooming set"Kinchaku"of toothbrush, brushes, towels and tabi, etc. Bathroom had minimal amenities. In-room tea and coffee were , but Brooks coffee, maybe its not better, I think.
Femail staff "NAKAI" were young , but she have variously correspond to set a table ,a tea ,Futon mattresses, and foods what we need. I'm sorry that child care is poor and appropriate tourism information is momentarily to is not more difficult come study lack I wonder if it was present.

My rooms emergency flashlight does not light up.

Use brought by LAN can be used with the PC (own PC) freely, but much does not require it.
I thought just to eat a set menu and to put in a hot tub in front of Yasaka Shrine was 11 million in this group of people is at reasonable price

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank hirosimiyauti
Reviewed February 19, 2011

My husband and I have just come back from a wonderful weekend in Kyoto at the beautiful ryokan, Hatanaka. Ideally located in the heart of Gion, we walked everywhere, even though it is mid-Winter. Although it wasn't as cheap as some ryokan in Kyoto we couldn't fault the place and experience. Staff were friendly and helpful with good English generally. We booked just the room and had the 5 course dinner in our room on one night. This was delicious and beautifully presented and our hostess was lovely. The courses came maybe a little too quickly. The onsen bath downstairs was also a lovely experience, especially for the uninitiated! For a romantic weekend, an indulgent break, highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank Floss71
Reviewed January 31, 2011

I went to this Ryokan with my American husband after Shinto wedding. The service was superb and we still dream going back to this Ryokan after a year of the stay. Their Kaiseki Dinner was not cheap, but yes, it was fully authentic and worth of paying the bill. The menu had a chef's name written along with all food in the dinner, and everything we ate was elaborate in appearance and tasted superb. The staff was always paying attention to our comfort. When we went to public bath and coming back, I went back to take the picture of the bath tub, then, a staff was waiting for me in the hallway - I think she thought I got lost. Lobby had nice small garden which mimicked a zen garden, where there was a wi-fi available. Japanese breakfast was amazing as well as the Kaiseki dinner. On the second night, we were giving a choice of either eating at room or going to the Maiko Show with dinner, so we went to the show and enjoyed watching the show as well as another great dinner. Room had a wooden bathroom, which had a Hinoki bath tub, and my husband with bad back did not complain about the futon bed on the tatami. I cannot believe they are not rated top 5 in Kyoto ryokan section (as of today.) This ryokan's Kaiseki dinner is worth a try even without staying overnight. Oh, the garden between buildings were beautifully taken care of, too. We still drool thinking about the excellent dinner... it is not cheap and not for people who are simply interested in saving money. It is worth for experiencing the real Japanese food and service.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple