“Awesome ryokan (especially for the price)”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Yuzuya Ryokan

Yuzuya Ryokan
Ranked #67 of 366 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
New York City, New York
“Awesome ryokan (especially for the price)”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights on whirlwind honeymoon through Asia. Was our first experience in a ryokan and enjoyed it immensely. Perfect location for seeing the sights of Kyoto (at the base of temple at the end of main tourist drag in Gion). Great service including tea served upon arrival and turn-down service at night (had no idea how to prepare futons & linens). The entire staff is extremely courteous, professional & helpful (speak great English & provided clear directions & answers to any questions). Staff goes above & beyond. Tatami rooms seemed quite traditional and were really clean and comfortable. Cool cedar bathtub with fragrant yuzu soap. The provided yukatas are awesome (we want to buy them). Unlike more expensive ryokans, dinner is not included but we preferred this because it allowed us to have dinner out one night. But the restaurant is really good and should not be missed. It's set in the core of the ryokan with zen-like views of the garden & yuzu trees. And the food is awesome. The breakfast is so filling that we didn't need to eat lunch (even though we did). Highly recommend this ryokan.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I stayed here with my partner in October 2013. While a little difficult to find (its entry is tucked away) the location is fantastic. The reception area is beautiful. The staff were very attentative from our first arrival through to departure. Our rom was spacious with a lovely outlook over the waterfall garden. We loved the wooden bath in our room and added a couple of Japanese lemons (supplied). I loved the lemon soaps provided. We had 2 breakfasts and one dinner during our stay. The food was excellent and beautifully presented.

While expensive ($1350 AUS 2n, 2p inc 1 dinner, 2 breakfasts), this was a once in a lifetime experience for us while visiting the beautiful city of Kyoto. However, if I ever return to Kyoto it would be difficult to not stay there again. We loved it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KereninBrisbane
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I visited around October 2011

One particular staff member has made my stay very enjoyable by being extremely helpful and informative. I had a very short time in Kyoto so I tried to cram many attractions in one day. I would never recommend anyone to stay outside of an expensive ryokan for the entire day because I learned the hard way that you should take advantage of the amenities of the accommodation that you paid so much money on.

However, I was impressed by the food and the service. The man in the front desk spoke English and he recommended me to places I would have never known. He also helped me with next bus transportation to a rural area because I didn't understand Japanese. They even let me keep the cute light blue tabi socks that I loved wearing. The location for me was perfect.

Was the room decor out of the world for the money I paid? No, but I did enjoy the yuzu that they put in the public bath and most of the time, I had the bath to myself. The water temperature was perfect. The ryokan itself is very beautiful and I had a very nice shiatsu massage in my room at night right before I knocked out after a very tiring day.

The reason why I felt slightly disappointed is because of the price. However, I did have a nice time there, but I wonder, would I justify the cost if I wasn't running around Kyoto?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Grace Y
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed January 6, 2014

This was the 3rd ryokan we stayed in during a week in Kyoto and, of the three, it was in the best location - in the Gion District and next to Yasaka Shrine. However, it was the least "authentic" of the other ryokans and felt more like a hotel than the others we stayed in (Tawaraya and Yoshikawa). But the food was good, the rooms clean and good-sized, and the service excellent. It was also much less expensive than the other ryokans. If you are looking for a ryokan experience at a lower cost, this would be a great option.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MurrayInHK
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Although this ryokan is right on Ginza- I almost missed it. The entrance is a wooden sliding door and just its sign. I recommend taking a picture of the sign on this website so as not to miss it.

The room included a rollout bed and a sitting room with a tv separated by another more traditional sitting room with a window. The bathtub was made of wood and included a shower handle.

Kimonos and slippers were provided as well as some spa products (I still have the pocket comb). At night Japanese tea was served.

The next morning I ate the traditional Japanese breakfast and my cousin had the Western one. I have no idea what I ate but it was quite tasty. The waterfall in the background added to the ambience.

The front desk staff was helpful in storing our luggage until our room was ready and helped us find a Japanese play to watch.

Now I will say this place was super pricey- but since I waited 2 weeks before my arrival in the summertime season it was what was available.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

After several days of sightseeing, an overnight stay in this hotel recharged all my senses. Climb the stairs (right beside the shrine) to enter a different era. I had booked an evening meal, board and breakfast. It's not cheap but certainly worth every penny. Guided through the hotel I finally arrived in the very spacious 'yellow' room. It had a private Japanese bath, which stayed warm overnight. A great way to start a relaxed evening.

Dressed in the traditional robe, dinner was an incredible event. I lost count of the courses, perhaps as many as 11 over 150 minutes. Each course was served to look beautiful and taste delicious. They were also just the right amount to allow me leave the table comfortably.

The following morning I took the Japanese breakfast (an experience not to be missed) after I had tried the public bath.

The hotel is spotlessly clean, the English speaking staff very friendly, and the food a highlight of my Japan trip. Try it for yourself.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We have stayed in ryokans all over Japan, as well as hotels and business hotels.
Yes, the price of a (good) ryokan seems high. However, it includes breakfast and dinner, and a unique experience. All accommodations in the big cities are higher, and this ryokan not only has lovely rooms and bath, but excellent food, and a perfect location.
--quiet
--Japanese breakfast and 2 dinners there, excellent
--bath clean and lovely
--service helpful
--next to major attractions, and at the top of major shopping district. Easy walk to so much you will visit anyway in Kyoto.

If you can only stay one night in a ryokan, here or elsewhere, you should. The bathing/sleeping/food experience is unique to Japan. You won't need to eat lunch, because either you are full, or you'll just eat for free by grazing your way through the samples in the food section of any major department store. Other nights you can stay at a clean and cheap business hotel (like Toyoko Inn), and eat at a fancy kaiseki restaurant, or at cheap places if you are really trying to keep the $ low.

Read about luggage services in Japan, and places that will help you make reservations at ryokan: http://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/FOLLOW-THE-READER-2484269.php

Also recommend Google Chrome, which will automatically translate a page written in Japanese. Make your own reservations that way.

Room Tip: Ours had a view of the neighboring temple/garden. It is typical of good ryokan that every room has...